View Full Version : ADD gets worse after 40?

outofdenial1972
02-15-14, 08:38 AM
I have suspected most of my adult life that I suffer from ADD. I struggled in school despite being highly intelligent. Always told I didn't put in the effort, organizing always a challenge, pervasive feeling of "Living inside my head". I have lived with feelings of mental exhaustion constantly keeping lists and calendars, having my kids tell me that I do not answer them, and having no idea they even asked me a question. My husband telling me that I zone out and aren't listening to him..,the list goes on.I have never been diagnosed. I had a hysterectomy at age 40 and suspected my increasing lack of focus may be due to hormone changes, but I my hormones tested fine. My 16 year old daughter showed early signs of ADD and was tested for learning disabilities with no evidence of any. She has been on adderal for about a year. She attests to having major positive changes from it and her grades have improved. I have tried her adderal a couple of times and find it amazing. My mood changes almost instantly. I feel more focused and happier and more willing to share my positive mood with people. my question is: It it in anyone elses experience to have symptoms increase after 40? Does my situation sound typical of adults/histories with ADD? Should I get a prescription of adderal? Are there any side effects from it?Also, Is increased anxiety and issues with driving(delayed reaction time, zoning..,) typical for anyone else?

Flia
02-16-14, 06:43 AM
ADHD symptoms worsen with stress and sometimes with menopause. Also some of us are extremely sensitive to hormone changes.

Of course changes in life also affects the challenges.

But no, age has no actual impact as far as I've heard.

sarahsweets
02-16-14, 07:21 AM
first thing, Im sure you know that you shouldnt take adderall without a prescription but ESPECIALLY your daughter's adderall. Someone's reaction to stimulants is not indicative of whether or not they have adhd. With that said, I personally believe that adhd is always hard BUT it seems to feel harder the more I age because when I was younger my responsibilities were limited and now I am responsible for 4 people, a house etc. So for me, the older I get the worse it seems.

stef
02-16-14, 08:33 AM
it might get worse though
i remember my dad saying out of the blue, he thought he had a brain tumor or something, his memory was getting so bad, he must have been around 48 ( he didn't have one of course!)
or it's just that it never goes away and you assume that by 40 your life will be in order but it's not yet...

Flia
02-16-14, 09:49 AM
For me the ADHD became sooo much milder when I moved from the big city to a small town.
Living alone after being divorced and the daughter all grown up is another thin that helps.

But every time I visit the city, or take care of kids, it gets worse again.

dvdnvwls
02-16-14, 12:29 PM
ADHD doesn't get worse, but maybe life gets harder, or expectations go up. Or hormonal fluctuations, or other things.

Do get yourself checked for physical problems: thyroid and anemia are the two that cross my mind first due to my prior experience, but really all that sort of thing - you get the point.

finallyfound10
02-16-14, 06:22 PM
Get assessed for it for sure. You may have it and be able to take something- you found that Adderall worked but you need to get your own 'script. There are books out there on ADHD and menopause which I need to read sooner than later!

Good luck!

acdc01
02-18-14, 11:47 PM
http://psychcentral.com/lib/adhd-and-menopause-what-you-need-to-know-and-what-you-can-do/00010137

The article above says that perio and menopause can affect ADHD because of the lower estrogen levels (which in turn cause dopamine levels to decrease). Are your estrogen levels are normal for someone who had a hysterectomy but lower than say someone that hasn't reached periomenopause yet?