View Full Version : Chemicals Endagering the Next Generations of Brains - Article from CNN

Unmanagable
02-15-14, 04:05 PM
I'm not a fan of mainstream media and I don't believe adhd is created by toxic ingestion. But, I am a fan of overall awareness and choices, so I wanted to share this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/14/health/chemicals-children-brains/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"Over the last six or seven years we are actually adding brain toxic chemicals at a greater speed than we are adding toxicity evidence in children's brains," Grandjean said.

"At least 1,000 chemicals using lab animals have shown that they somehow interfere with brain function in rodents -- rats and mice -- and those are prime candidates for regulatory control to protect human developing brains. But this testing has not been done systematically."

At greatest risk? Pregnant women and small children, according to Grandjean. According to the review, the biggest window of vulnerability occurs in utero, during infancy and early childhood.

The impact is not limited to loss of IQ points.

"Beyond IQ, we're talking about behavior problems -- shortening of attention span, increased risk of ADHD," Landrigan said.

"We're talking about emotion problems, less impulse control, (being) more likely to make bad decisions, get into trouble, be dyslexic and drop out of school. ... These are problems that are established early, but travel through childhood, adolescence, even into adult life."