View Full Version : Is a 1.5mg dose of clonazepam safe in the long-term.

JeffS
02-16-14, 12:32 AM
Im on it for anxiety do i have to worry down the road.

thank you

Abi
02-16-14, 01:12 AM
Nothing, apart from the fact that you will get dementia when you are 75 instead of 80. And by then there will be better medicines for both anxiety and dementia.

Eat your Kloni's, they're good for you.

JeffS
02-16-14, 02:18 AM
thanks thats good to hear... what a relief... there working just fine.

I thought 1.5mg a day was too much.

AlexaN
03-02-14, 12:39 AM
thanks thats good to hear... what a relief... there working just fine.

I thought 1.5mg a day was too much.

Clonazepam is a VERY addictive drug and it states in the leaflet it is not to be used for more than 2-4 weeks in a row.
It is very easy to build tolerance even without you knowing it and withdrawal effects can be awful.

AlexaN
03-02-14, 12:40 AM
Im on it for anxiety do i have to worry down the road.

thank you

@Jeff - I used to suffer from panic attacks for 2 years and was on 4mg a day.
I am off it now and try to take much "lighter" anti anxiety meds and they do work as well....or i would suggest Clonazepam just in SOS cases and something else as a first option.
What does your doc say?
I discussed it with my doc a lot.

Heba213
10-21-14, 02:25 AM
I have been on Klonopin for years, 3MG-4MG daily. I have had no adverse reaction when I had my incident with reckless driving. I was denied them for over a month, and no reactions. Perhaps everyone is different. I will submit that the FDA warnings are just that. Not a bible to follow. Different studies show different things. Popper proved this in his work "The open Society and its Enemies". No conforming amount of scientific data can prove one such thing works. Just my .02

AlexaN
10-21-14, 04:19 AM
I have been on Klonopin for years, 3MG-4MG daily. I have had no adverse reaction when I had my incident with reckless driving. I was denied them for over a month, and no reactions. Perhaps everyone is different. I will submit that the FDA warnings are just that. Not a bible to follow. Different studies show different things. Popper proved this in his work "The open Society and its Enemies". No conforming amount of scientific data can prove one such thing works. Just my .02

@Heba You are lucky, because Clonazepam has one of the worst withdrawal effects amongst benzos and it's a known fact....

adhd_could_be
10-25-14, 02:04 PM
I would heavily caution you against being on this medication long term. I was on clonazepam for non-psychiatric reasons. Coming off of it was a living hell and 15 days medically supervised. The memory impairment is brutal. Totally negated the effect of adhd meds too, after a while it seems the adhd meds were just counteracting the crap clonazepam was doing to me. I also had terrible rebound anxiety for a year after discontinuing, and I didn't use it for anxiety in the first place, I scarcely felt any anxiety before being put on it for neuro reasons. I got on another anti-epileptic with minimal side effects since, and the difference has been transformational. I used to be extremely successful, happy, ambitious etc. and I feel that way after coming of clonazepam, also my adhd med dose has been cut in half, I eat healthy, am super social again, exercise, got a great job again.

Clonazepam, from what it did to me (sure as hell chilled me out even though I wasn't on it for anxiety)... I can imagine can be a good escape if anxiety is paralyzing (which I do understand, mostly from benzo withdrawal syndrome) but you lose sight of what a good life not on it could be, so you become placated in this almost half dead stone state.

To each their own I suppose, but it's also worth mentioning that I have severe PTSD in certain situations, and I take atentol for that when I know I'll need it, absolutely awesome, I don't feel stoned, tired, can remember what happened 2 minutes agough, and don't have to worry about rebound seizures after 5 days off the med (which happened when they lost my clonazepam in baggage on an international flight, where the country I was going to are very tight on benzos, stimulants etc.

It's your choice, but I would strongly advise against it long term.

BellaVita
10-25-14, 03:32 PM
Clonazepam is a VERY addictive drug and it states in the leaflet it is not to be used for more than 2-4 weeks in a row.
It is very easy to build tolerance even without you knowing it and withdrawal effects can be awful.

I have to disagree.

I agree with Abi, take the klonis.

I've been on 0.5mg x2 a day for 3 years now, and the year before that was on 2mg a day.

*Some* people do get withdrawals, but for me they are very minimal not nearly as bad as antidepressant withdrawal. The worst I usually get is returned anxiety, which is to be expected.

I have also NEVER had a tolerance issue - I don't think this really exists unless there are a couple things looking like tolerance 1) being that there could be more underlying problems like a mood disorder 2) dose isn't high enough 3) abusing the drug

They train all of the new young pdocs to caution and warn and say scary things about benzos.....

Honestly, if having an anxiety-free life is worth it to you, then stay on them.

For me, they have literally freed me from being locked inside a room all day. I am actually living my life and sometimes even TALKING TO PEOPLE and seeing new places....a better life for me is worth it.