View Full Version : Xanax for Strattera side effects…. Good or bad idea?

mamboitaliano
02-16-14, 12:55 PM
I just started strattera and have been experiencing anxiety as a side effect. My doctor told me to take 0.25mg of xanax with the strattera every day and I'm assuming this is until my body adjusts to strattera and no longer has anxiety. Is this a good idea? I know someone who was addicted to benzos and am well aware that they're dangerous.

Habitz
02-20-14, 10:18 PM
I started Strattera and after 10 days had orthostatic hypertension - dizziness, pounding heart and felt like I had high blood pressure which is normally very low. I found info on a website that lists these effects. Also had dry mouth and metallic taste. I have not taken any in two days and still have spurts of 90 heart beats a minute sitting at my desk.
I ordered a basic heart rate monitor (polar FT4) so I could really see what BPMs were getting up to. I will ask for a lower dose and restart.

sarahsweets
02-21-14, 06:00 AM
some people myself included can take xanax for years with no need for increase or abuse. Some people try it for a month and they are hooked. Its important to keep an open line of communication open with family and your doctor

Laserbeak
02-21-14, 09:06 PM
I know I sound like a broken record, but I'd avoid Xanax. Librium or Valium would be better choices if you choose to take a benzodiazepine..

Amtram
02-23-14, 08:51 PM
Strattera is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It's not unusual to have increased anxiety if you're taking a medication that makes more norepinephrine available in your brain. If it doesn't decrease on its own after 6-8 weeks, then you might not need xanax, but a medication that doesn't have such a strong effect of norepinephrine.