View Full Version : Bupropion- success stories

Corina86
02-17-14, 06:39 AM
Hi guys,

Anyone had any real long-term success with Bupropion/Wellbutrin/Elotril?

I read some threads, but it's mostly people who've been taking is for 1-2 weeks and all their side effects. I have a prescription for it and I want to know what to expect (short-term I don't care, I can live with anything, I want to know 3 months +).

Thanks!

Abi
02-17-14, 07:12 AM
It helps a bit with physical energy and self-discipline and mental fogginess.

It's by no means a miracle cure though.

I have taken 150 mg SR 2 times a day for about 2 years now.

Corina86
02-17-14, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the answer! Any effects on focus, short-term memory, procrastination? And what do you mean by self-discipline?

Abi
02-17-14, 09:40 AM
Positive effects on focus and short-term memory, tho like I said, not a miracle cure.

Positive effets on procrastination -- that's part of the self discipline. IT also helps my impulsivity. I was much more aggressive, oppositional, and angry before starting WB and increasing my Depakote (bipolar meds). I was banned from ADDF twice back in the day.

Ask any of the old timers how I used to be before Wellbutrin (dopamine) and increased Depakote (GABA).

Baal Moom
02-19-14, 09:20 AM
I took wellbutrin once a day for four or five months, first 150 mg SR, and then 300. With time I became somewhat calmer, somewhat more collected and responsible, and considerably more verbally expressive and socially confident. I wasn't able to add much order into my life, but you seem to have healthier habits, a more supportive environment and a somewhat more level head then me.

I'm not sure whether I experienced any side effects.

Abi
02-19-14, 11:06 AM
but you seem to have healthier habits, a more supportive environment and a somewhat more level head then me.

you mean corina, right?

Baal Moom
02-19-14, 11:31 AM
It is safe to assume so XD.

willow129
02-19-14, 12:20 PM
I was banned from ADDF twice back in the day.

Wow!!!

Huh....

You have been through a journey I guess!

Corina86
02-19-14, 06:11 PM
I took wellbutrin once a day for four or five months, first 150 mg SR, and then 300. With time I became somewhat calmer, somewhat more collected and responsible, and considerably more verbally expressive and socially confident. I wasn't able to add much order into my life, but you seem to have healthier habits, a more supportive environment and a somewhat more level head then me.

I'm not sure whether I experienced any side effects.

Thanks for the answer! I do have a supportive environment (I don't know about yours though), but your level head is just as good as mine! Someone needs to give you a lot of pats on your back.

Why did you quit it, btw?

Corina86
02-19-14, 06:12 PM
Positive effects on focus and short-term memory, tho like I said, not a miracle cure.

Positive effets on procrastination -- that's part of the self discipline. IT also helps my impulsivity. I was much more aggressive, oppositional, and angry before starting WB and increasing my Depakote (bipolar meds). I was banned from ADDF twice back in the day.

Ask any of the old timers how I used to be before Wellbutrin (dopamine) and increased Depakote (GABA).

This is very helpful! Glad you weren't banned for good :D

Rebelyell
02-19-14, 06:21 PM
Wow Im surprised I wasn't banned along w you and Eshy at the time.lol Thank god for meds or I'd of been out of here along time ago.It takes 3-4 weeks to get into your system to properly know.I get lightheaded and get cotton mouth worse then cheech n chong.W out meds I want to kick some ones ***,is argumentive ,very ODD ,especially when someone is being contemptuous w me.I Originally went on them for anxiety and they helped my mood,clumsiness,my focus cause when I don't have them ohh god its a freaking cluster **** and Im losing stuff,dropping stuff,banging into things and am unable to control my frustrations and anger not to mention I curse way more as well.I'm so glad meds help because I couldn't go on much longer in life all strung out and constantly fighting and arguing w people.

Baal Moom
02-20-14, 06:40 AM
Why did you quit it, btw?

I switched to Ritalin because I still didn't manage thoroughly clean the house (very filthy) or look for a job, and to my taste my thinking was still too stilted and reached too many dead ends. I still haven't found a stable job or driven away the filth, and as to thinking... But I suspect that I lack elementary life skills that would take time to acquire and have emotional problems that cause ADHD-like symptoms (like chronic avoidance), drugs notwithstanding. Anyway, I can't diagnose myself, can I. Also, taking Ritalin was less pleasant, as I used to get the uncomfortable sensation that my skin wasn't aligned with my flesh, and I had digestive problems. EDIT: But it seems people experience different symptoms.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to consider that I took Cipralex for most of the time I was on Wellbutrin, and had been taking it for some time before I started Welllbutrin. I think Wellbutrin did help with verbal skills and concentration on top of Cipralex, but I'm not sure any more whether I was calmer under it's influence than when taking Cipralex alone. Sorry, it was quite a while ago.

I don't take anything now, due to my own folly. If I didn't meditate I am not sure I would be able to write a lot of posts longer than three words, judging from my pre-meditation days. And I would call everyone c**ts on a daily basis, if former patterns of behaviour were to return.

Corina86
02-20-14, 07:44 AM
Thanks... I guess. I really wish you could find a way to sort your adhd out though :(

Baal Moom
02-20-14, 08:06 AM
Thanks... I guess. I really wish you could find a way to sort your adhd out though :(

To much irrelevant stuff about myself there, innit. Sorry. Don't let me discourage you, though. Wellbutrin is certainly beneficial, even if it's not magical; it may affect people differently, and I imagine that life circumstances also have a hand in determining how beneficial treatment is, besides the physical reaction to the drug. The deeper the pit is, the more difficult it is to get out, or some crap like that. The pit I'm in is rather deep, but never mind about that. I'll manage.

If you end up taking other drugs based on bupropion, hopefully they act similarly to Wellbutrin. Seems reasonable.

Corina86
02-20-14, 11:06 AM
The whole forum is based on irrelevant stuff about ourselves, don't worry about it.

I'm on my second day with Zyban and I feel nothing: no improvements and no side-effects. I heard it takes a while to kick in though.

Corina86
02-25-14, 10:53 AM
I've been taking Zyban 150 mg per day for a week now and still nothing. I'll talk to my shrink to increase the dose maybe.

Abi
02-25-14, 10:57 AM
Give it 2 more weeks.

You need to acclimate, you don't want unnecessary anxiety or insomnia.

Infinityman
02-25-14, 10:59 AM
You guys are using bupropion hydrocloride as a drug for the ADHD? I have been taking Ritalin for a while now for the ADHD and have recently (less than a week now) started taking Voxra 150mg (bupropion hydrocloride in my country, made by GlaxoSmithkline) for depression.

Any of you taking both? So far, I haven't noticed any real side effects.

Abi
02-25-14, 12:31 PM
I take it for physical and mental "laziness" caused by bipolar depression.

Corina is taking it for ADHD, yes.

Abi
02-25-14, 12:33 PM
Oh, I have taken Ritalin (IR, 5mg tid) but unfortunately I react badly to it due to Bipolar Disorder and severe Generalised Anxiety Disorder -- caused panic attacks and rage episodes.

Rebelyell
02-25-14, 01:27 PM
I take it for adhd because I cant take stimulants.it takes 3 weeks minimal at least till you see or feel any results.

Corina86
02-25-14, 02:44 PM
I take it for adhd because I cant take stimulants.it takes 3 weeks minimal at least till you see or feel any results.

What dosage do you take per day? And why can't you use stimulants?

Abi
02-25-14, 02:46 PM
I think Rebs takes 300 mg. I take 450.

Rebelyell
02-25-14, 03:19 PM
I take 300, umm I have tics n they the drs are afraid the stimulants could make the tics go full blown.one time I had to work w a problem co worker, I made the mistake of taking double my meds, thinking twice as much must work 2 times better.I was good for 1st few hours then it took off I never hsve felt so up, hyper n maniacal in my life, it also sorry for the tmi made me superhorny n hypersexual

Corina86
02-25-14, 03:49 PM
Thanks, guys! Don't worry about TMI stuff, that's important to know as well.

Any side effects at 300 mg or 450 mg?

Rebelyell
02-25-14, 03:54 PM
Um I get cotton mouth n sometimes im dizzy or lightheaded but otherwise these meds have been a godsend.god forbid they ever stop working im gonna be up ****s Creek

Abi
02-25-14, 03:58 PM
Mild anxiety and insomnia in the early phases.

Rebelyell
02-25-14, 05:37 PM
Always has anxiety nothing seems to help.:(

ADDiAnni
02-26-14, 01:25 AM
I took bupropion for about 5 yrs because it helped with mild psych issues and helped me focus and have more energy at work. It was during these years I was diagnosed with ADD, non hyperactive type. I recall feeling an improvement in work focus the very first day on Wellbutrin and feeling less anxious and impulsive and more confident in myself about 2 months after I started bupropion when I went for my follow up visit with the doc that prescribed it.

I would have the extra focus and sticktuitiveness to do that little bit extra to get to complete something before the end of the day, and would be able to work like a fiend! I also noticed it helped me not get so addictive in ingesting things whether it was candy or alcohol or fattening junk food, and it did not have the relationship-killing effect that other SSRI's had, that being anorgasmia. Wellbutrin has less anorgasmia compared to other antidepressants.

Honestly it really made a difference for me in that particular job I had but I didn't notice any type of effect in other life areas. I am not taking bupropion now and now, perhaps not so coincidentally, my ADD is super out of control and I'm not really employed. Now I am such a scatterbrained that I will be reading 10 books at a time and never finish any projects around the house before trying to start another one. My Distractibility is really severe these days, I have turned off so many friends and family who take it personally.

Good for you to be taking steps to try this med and your follow through to ask for feedback on this forum!

I read an ADHD book (the title starts with 10...) that mentioned that bupropion has had anecdotal evidence of helping many of the symptoms of ADHD and is an off label use for it.

Corina86
02-26-14, 04:43 AM
Thanks, ADDiAnni!

Can I ask you: what dosage did you take and why did you stop taking them?

Always has anxiety nothing seems to help.:(

I feel you :(. I don't feel so much anxiety during the day with these meds, but it comes back full force at night. I have no solution for this though.

Corina86
07-04-14, 10:07 AM
I had to quit bupropion after about 5 months because of high blood pressure and pulse. I took 300g/per day long term release (zylban).

The good part is that I stopped taking it cold turkey for about 2 weeks now and I feel no side-effects, except being a bit more sleepy and having less energy. I have moments when I'm sad without any reason, but I had them even with the medication and it's not serious anyway.

The bad part is that I don't I don't really have any (affordable) medication options and I risk getting high blood pressure from any of them.

I'm feeling a bit down because of this. My expectations regarding the ADHD medication were high. I guess it was all just too good to be true :(

aeon
07-05-14, 05:18 PM
I've taken 300mg of extended release bupropion hcl for about 5 years. This med works for me, big time.

I am prescribed it for dysthymia/persistent depressive disorder. It works well in this context.

I once had to take a break from taking it (no $)...on some level it was interesting watching my mood and thinking go to sh*t. :rolleyes:

It helps with the brain fog aspect of my ADHD-PI as well.

I love what this med does for me and I never want to go off of it. The absence of any sexual side effects is also appreciated. :yes:

Corina86
07-06-14, 04:07 PM
@Aeon - I'm glad it worked for you.

Btw, there was one good "side-effect" even for me: sex-drive was a little higher. I didn't manage to put that to any good use though.

roflwaffle
11-26-14, 10:59 PM
I've only been on 150mg of XR for a week, but so far the biggest benefit seems to be more energy. The flip side to that is I'll react faster and do things without thinking, like walking into garage doors (partially rolled up in my defense), or getting tap water instead of filtered water.

I also think it may give me a touch of insomnia, but that'll likely pass if the side effects are similar to my Lexapro. My sex drive is pretty much the same, but I have the same problems with climaxing that I've had on the Lexapro, so it hasn't been of much benefit there.

anonymouslyadd
11-26-14, 11:19 PM
I couldn't fight depression without it. Before I began taking Buproprion/Wellbutrin depressive thoughts drug my mind into the basement, and I could not pick myself up. It's not a wonder drug and it hasn't helped my ADD, but it has done amazing things for my depression.

add_me
12-22-14, 12:58 PM
Today is day 14 on Wellburtin XL 150mg. If I can stop all the clutter in my brain, I can actually feel sense of peacefulness this drug brings. I've actually started cleaning my house, and that is a big deal. This med has not curbed my eating or smoking...yet. No bad side effects like I had on other anti depressants. I have a little bit more energy, and I don't feel a sense of dread in doing simple tasks. The drug also makes me understand how depressed I actually was, prior to taking it. Slowing but surely, I feel like I'm emerging from the fog.

q124107
05-30-15, 06:22 PM
I felt a relief from the symptoms when I first started wellbutrin 100mg twice a day. After a couple of weeks it stopped working. The doctor has moved me to 300mg XL once a day. Its been a week. I'm wondering if anybody has had the same experience and now their doing great.

oreganosis222
12-25-15, 10:03 PM
I've been on wellbutrin 150mg xr after my vyvanse(which worked wonderfully) stopped working, and concerta made hallucinate. So far I'm at the end of my first week, so far it has helped my hyperactivity, but I can't say for certain if it helps in any other way, which is a problem since I need my focus more. I've heard from several sources saying that wellbutrin(and effexor, another common ADHD antidepressant) that though they do effect dopamine(which controls hyperactivity) and norepinephrine(which controls focus) it only helps them significantly in higher doses(mostly with noepinephrine). Of course it also depends on the person taking it, so far it seems true for me.