View Full Version : huh, borderline personality disorder

agirlandherdogs
02-17-14, 10:50 PM
I downloaded the Mayo Clinic Patient App ... handy little app, amazing what the docs don't tell you ...

I found listed in my diagnosis page... Borderline Personality Disorder ...

I've done some reading on this, but anyone with this HOW does it affect you? I'm trying to see where they came up with this or where they picked up on it ... hmmmm got me.... should I be treated for this?

gee golly,

Fuzzy12
02-18-14, 04:27 AM
I haven't been diagnosed with BPD and I'm not convinced I have it. I have 3-4 symptoms rather than the 5/9 that warrant a diagnosis.

I guess, each symptom affects you in a different way though I wonder if the underlying symptoms that cause all the others are emotional dysregulation and chronic feelings of emptiness.

If it impairs you (you said you've read about it so I am assuming you know what the symptoms are and how they might affect someone), then yes, you should probably get treatment. I think, the most common treatment is DBT and maybe in addition to that, anti depressants.

Corina86
02-18-14, 06:08 AM
I've never met you two in real life, but from your posts here you don't sound anything remotely close to BPP. Then again if a shrink gives this diagnosis, there's probably a reason for it. I find it very awkward though that a doc would keep this information secret from a patient.

Agirlandherdogs, you should talk to your psych about this just to make sure it's not an error. Also, personality disorders aren't treated, at least not with medication, but therapy can help.

Fuzzy, if anything, you're prone to being depressive and you obviously have low self-esteem, so frankly I think you shouldn't try to diagnose yourself with anything, because you're bound to see yourself in a very negative light, probably a lot worse than how others see you.

agirlandherdogs
02-18-14, 10:39 AM
thanks guys ... i was thinking about this as I waited to fall asleep last night ... if I were to ask my friends about what they thought about my "mental" status ... they would call me "crazy amy" ... I'm silly, the goofball, the funny one ... BUT the strong, the focused one, the driven one, the emotionally stable one.

I am very strong on the outside, I can look at you and tell you nothing is wrong. inside may be a different story. If I have a problem, if I want to talk to someone, it's only THAT moment, so maybe that's why I've never like therapy ... I don't like bringing things up. If's it's out of mind it's out of sight unless I want to drudge it over ... maybe I have issues, but I don't don't know why I wouldn't know about this ...

Corina86
02-18-14, 11:10 AM
If you google BPP you'll find all the symptoms. And frankly, if one of my friends or family members would be like this, I would notice and I would tell them to seek help. If everyone thinks you're silly, funny, goofy, then it doesn't sound like BPP.

Also, I think the impulsiveness, irritability, low emotion control, low tolerance to frustration of adhd might make a person look borderline or bipolar. Again, you need to talk to the doc about this.

Fraser_0762
02-18-14, 11:16 AM
I would put far more faith in a person than an app.

daveddd
02-18-14, 11:33 AM
mayo clinic is about the best there is , isn't it?

daveddd
02-18-14, 12:21 PM
i don't think anyone here can really say

borderline isn't at all really what people think it is, it can be, but it usually isn't, if you want an accurate description read marsha linehan , she created DBT, and her description is nothing like the stereotype

http://books.google.com/books?id=UZim3OAPwe8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=marsha+linehan+borderline+per&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CogDU7-aCoKRygH5joCoCw&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=marsha%20linehan%20borderline%20per&f=false

my sister has it, she's all the things you said, good person, always doing charity

there is very effective treatment for it now

i would be curios to what they have to say at least

agirlandherdogs
02-18-14, 12:50 PM
I would put far more faith in a person than an app.

it's my list of diagnosis from Mayo Clinic, it's very accurate, it's not an app...

avjgirsijdhtjhs
02-18-14, 03:55 PM
emotionally stable one.

emotionally UNstable personality disorder (https://www.google.com/#q=icd-10%20emotionally%20unstable%20personality%20disord er)

Do you rage at people much? If you do, then BPD is probably worth looking into...

http://www.sharischreiber.com/articles.html has a lot of good articles.

Fraser_0762
02-18-14, 04:12 PM
it's my list of diagnosis from Mayo Clinic, it's very accurate, it's not an app...

You said you downloaded an "app" that tells you things that doctors don't.

I would trust doctors to be more accurate in assessing a person, than any application would.

daveddd
02-18-14, 08:39 PM
You said you downloaded an "app" that tells you things that doctors don't.

I would trust doctors to be more accurate in assessing a person, than any application would.

seems like she's talking about an information app

not a diagnostic one

the assessment was probably in person

the mayo clinic is very good , one of the best in america

agirlandherdogs
02-18-14, 09:18 PM
seems like she's talking about an information app

not a diagnostic one

the assessment was probably in person

the mayo clinic is very good , one of the best in america

exactly ... you can see your patient information via this app, your medication, your care team, your lab results etc ...
Yes Mayo is one of the best ... and at times a total pain in the ****