View Full Version : periomenopause or drug side affect

acdc01
02-19-14, 12:01 AM
I'm taking guanfacine and Adderall. I'm in my late 30s.

I've been waking up with my back and back of my neck sweaty. Not like buckets of sweat but a sheen of sweat.

No problems falling asleep initially, I can't go back to sleep again for some time. My orgasm is also much less intense now than before.

I don't get hot flashes during the day at all. I'm been having major stress in my life recently.

Can my symptoms be cause by the drugs I'm taking or am I starting periomenopause.

sarahsweets
02-19-14, 05:08 AM
How old are you?

acdc01
02-19-14, 07:56 AM
I'm 38.

Flia
02-19-14, 08:51 AM
Sweating neck can be sleeping disorder (in my case sleep apnea).
It can also be the meds or menopause.

zilphy
02-20-14, 11:30 AM
As I have gotten older my body started reacting differently. Alcohol or a heavy meal in the evening will mess up my sleep. I typically wake up hot at 3AM, strip off and try to go back to sleep = perimenopause. I get a hot neck, chest, legs & feet. It's weird. Everything will be hot except my arms.

Alcohol will make the hot sessions worse.

acdc01
02-24-14, 08:58 PM
As I have gotten older my body started reacting differently. Alcohol or a heavy meal in the evening will mess up my sleep. I typically wake up hot at 3AM, strip off and try to go back to sleep = perimenopause. I get a hot neck, chest, legs & feet. It's weird. Everything will be hot except my arms.

Alcohol will make the hot sessions worse.

I don't get as hot as you. I just see that I have sweat on me when I wake up, don't really feel hotter.

I'm off the guanfacine now. Maybe I'll see some changes. If not, I think it's probably periomenopause. I don't think think I have a sleep disorder even if I am having more difficulties sleeping these days.

Sucks getting older. I still feel like I'm in my 20s!

Carol
03-04-14, 09:23 PM
Your symptoms sound a lot like peri-menopause. Night sweats and early morning awakening are very common; orgasm intensity can vary with hormonal fluctuations. I use bioidentical creams available on Amazon from Smoky Mountain Naturals: estriol and progesterone. It's advisable to thoroughly research bioidentical hormone creams before trying them. Also, Amazon reviews are helpful. At your age, a smaller-than-recommended amount may take care of your symptoms and ease your way towards menopause.

datajunkie
03-05-14, 11:20 AM
Yes, you could be in perimenopause. I suggest that you find a practitioner who works with bioidentical hormones, get your hormones tested--the day of your cycle that you do the blood or saliva testing will be important. You may need several to find what ratios of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone are most or least symptomatic for you.

Getting your adrenal and thyroid function checked may also be useful.But many docs are using old standards of 'normal' for all hormones rather than understanding that what is optimal for one person can be too much or too little for others. A combination of lab testing, saliva 4X for cortisol and DHEA for adrenal function and blood work for sex hormones and thyroid but thyroid must test T4, T3 and RT3 and also ferritin, vit. D and some other cofactors.

the website stop the thyroid madness has some good info on thryoid and adrenal. the website your menopause type may be useful. there is an online symptom checker. I've found that my symptoms have always reflected what my lab work showed.

Personally I can't tolerate progesterone. In some women it converts to a metabolite that acts like a tranquilizer. Exactly what it feels like to me. About 12 hours after I use it, I feel like I had a whopping dose of valium, lasts for 4-6 hours.

The metabolite works on GABA receptos as does valium class meds so that feeling appears to be valid. But I do not show symptomatic of low P. What little my body produces seems to give a lot of bang for the buck.

I need higher than average levels of testosterone than most women to feel like 'me'. A bit too high and I break out in a zit or two and time to skip a few days.
Getting my thyroid, adrenal and sex hormones balanced helped my overall physical and mental well being considerably. You may have trouble finding a good practitioner. You might try a compounding pharmacy and see if they can tell you what docs prescribe bioidentical hormones.