View Full Version : Serious autism / forum?

Luthien
02-19-14, 06:30 PM
Hi,

a friend who's diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome asked me whether I know of any serious discussion forums for neurodiverse people.

He's been on Wrongplanet but doesn't like that: (I better just quote him)

I was wondering of you knew of any forum wherein the members had to have a real diagnosis of some neurodiversive condition as a requirement of joining vs forums like WP where all you have to do is say you are, and it's all good. It doesn't have to be an ASD-only forum, so long as the people on it really have the condition(s) they claim.

Poseurs and trolls (both frequent on WP) really turn me off.

Probably too much to ask, as it would be hard to verify, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

- to which I answered that that would indeed be very difficult to enforce, and it's probably illegal to ask for people to submit official documents anyhow :eek:
But on the other hand, if a forum is moderated well, that might be even better.

I asked him then if he'd searched for other places:

I've Googled a number of times, but aside from a subforum of some place called "psychforums" (which wasn't as asinine as WP, but didn't seem that active either), I haven't been able to find much besides NT parents of young Aspie children or adult NT heterosexual women complaining about the "horror of having an Aspie husband{10^1000 exclamation points}.

I also thought about ADDF here, but I'm not sure if that is what he is looking for.
But I suggested he take a look here to see for himself.

Does anyone have any suggestions for him maybe?

fracturedstory
02-19-14, 06:40 PM
The posers are more people mildly affected who self-diagnose an ASD because it answers the question to why they are so different and couldn't fit in with others for most of their life. I have a problem with it at times because I'm not mild nor self-diagnosed but I also don't know what their level of autism is like for them. If they need somewhere to belong then I welcome them. They help educate me on social rules I just don't get too.

Trolls exist everywhere on the internet and forums have to be heavily moderated like this one, but I've seen few trolls posts in here.

I don't think I can help out because 1) I don't like their attitude (it's more fitting to WP btw) and 2. I don't think we're actually allowed to post links to other forums here.

sarek
02-19-14, 06:53 PM
I am sure it will be ok if whoever knows the answer would send a PM to luthien or otherwise just put the name of the forum without the actual live link in a post. We will disable live links to forums.

Luthien
02-19-14, 07:01 PM
I don't think I can help out because 1) I don't like their attitude (it's more fitting to WP btw) and 2. I don't think we're actually allowed to post links to other forums here.

Hi Fracturedstory, thank you.

However, I don't understand the first point: who is the 'their' you refer to?

re. 2 - thats' OK, Sarek just told me as well. A PM is fine as well, indeed.

Flia
02-20-14, 03:58 PM
{http://www.autismhangout.com} has a lot of features, among them a discussion forum.