View Full Version : Chocolate seeking

erratic
02-19-14, 10:27 PM
Last night I bought not a king sized, but giant sized, and not milk chocolate, but dark chocolate candy bar, and it was gone within an hour of waking up this morning. Part of it was gone last night, part first thing this morning.

I heard that chocolate is good for depression and I've noticed that when I'm depressed, my body is naturally seeking it. Not that it isn't seeking dopamine release from food in general but I've noticed a particular pattern with chocolate.

I was curious if others have the same experience.

dvdnvwls
02-19-14, 11:48 PM
I figured this thing about chocolate was "common knowledge", though I haven't read any science about it.

pooka
02-19-14, 11:54 PM
In Harry Potter, chocolate is used as a cure for Dementors, which JK Rowling has stated are meant to symbolize depression.

I always crave chocolate when I'm feeling down.

DichotOhMy
02-20-14, 07:24 AM
Yep, dark chocolate is a big situational food craving for me as well. It can happen at pretty much any time of the day.

I think it's a complex craving based on wanting an energy-rich food, craving magnesium-rich foods - chocolate being rich in magnesium and my also craving magnesium-rich nuts and peanut better at these times - and my body and mind likes theobromine. The theobromine in chocolate (chocolate doesn't contain significant caffeine) is very relaxing to me and I just don't crave it if I'm otherwise properly stimulant medicated.

erratic
02-20-14, 11:05 PM
Yes, perhaps this is more indirectly due to depression. Perhaps depression causing me to neglect self care and by not getting the necessary nutrients provided by other foods causes me to crave the chocolate which has a high concentration of whatever it is that I'm needing.

That is very interesting Pooka, it must be common knowledge then. I seem to only remember hearing about it from one source though- strange.

Jellybatt
02-21-14, 05:46 AM
Mmm chocolate . . . Yep I crave it too when I'm having a pretty down day

willow129
02-21-14, 09:25 AM
I've been craving chocolate a lot lately too. I was wondering if there was a reason for it besides that it's sweet...

fracturedstory
02-26-14, 01:19 AM
I usually have two squares of dark chocolate to help me read or write. Something about increasing blood flow to the eyes.

When I am depressed I have some milk chocolate or whatever is available for a weak stimulant effect. I have read that the chemicals in chocolate can release endorphins and when I'm in a higher mood I get this beautiful buzz.

The trick is to go a long time from eating it then when you do it just tastes like...heaven. If you could eat heaven it would taste like chocolate. Now I imagine it is The Land of Chocolate.

Just thought I'd mention the type of dark chocolate I usually eat has a slight hint of sea salt in it. Annnd...I've just run out. Damn.

janiew
02-26-14, 02:01 AM
I've been craving dairy and chocolate. I ate a good sized bag of Reeces pieces tonight and have drank half a gallon of milk over the last couple of days - way more than usual.

Maybe if we crave it we need it???

Did you feel better after meeting your craving? Worked for me...

erratic
02-26-14, 10:58 AM
I'd say that I did in fact. After all, it really does taste like heaven and just a taste is all I need to feel better, no matter how miniscule the degree.

someothertime
02-26-14, 11:04 AM
oxytocin - the luuuurve hormone :)

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2010/02/15/can-a-sniff-of-oxytocin-improve-the-social-skills-of-autistic-people/#.Uw4CMZAW1I4