View Full Version : Not Caring for Anything

Zephyranthes
02-20-14, 01:41 PM
For a while, I've not been attempting to rectify the academic mistakes I've made earlier in the year. I used to not do homework, mostly due to time management problems and forgetting, but now it's seeped into class work. I find it difficult to really concentrate on anything in class, and when presented with work, I don't do it, feeling sort of disconnected, and almost empty inside. I don't know what's going on, as now it feels like it may be seeping into other aspects of my life, where I just don't see much point in doing things. Anyone know anything about this?

kayfishandchips
02-23-14, 09:55 PM
I'm no medical or therapeutic expert but from personal experience it seems like your ADD has kind of melted into depression, which sucks. The good news this is something that I'm sure a lot of other ADD'ers have experienced and help you with. Just come here to talk whenever you need to because we will always be here to just get though these kinds of problems.

My advice would be to get yourself diagnosed with ADD if you haven't already because it does help a lot. If you have been diagnosed try to talk to your doctor or family about how you are feeling I'm sure they will be open to help you. Stay strong :)

MuEdLife
03-04-14, 12:40 PM
I struggled with this a lot in high school and some in college. This usually happened if I was depressed. Talking to someone and some of your teachers would be a good idea. The only things that helped me get on track was an amazing and super involved school counselor and a really good group of friends. Another thing is take into consideration the types of media you're consuming. If you listen to happier music and watch happier shows, typically you'll be happier than listening to depressing music or watching depressions shows!

If you're like me and your parents won't take you seriously about issues you're having, find a coping mechanism. I got super into puzzles and crocheting, if I did them during class I was typically more on track and more likely to do work because my mind was engaged, I was usually the only student allowed to do these activities during class because I talked with my teachers about my concentration issues. But the most important thing is to TALK TO SOMEONE!!!!

Fuzzy12
03-04-14, 12:45 PM
For a while, I've not been attempting to rectify the academic mistakes I've made earlier in the year. I used to not do homework, mostly due to time management problems and forgetting, but now it's seeped into class work. I find it difficult to really concentrate on anything in class, and when presented with work, I don't do it, feeling sort of disconnected, and almost empty inside. I don't know what's going on, as now it feels like it may be seeping into other aspects of my life, where I just don't see much point in doing things. Anyone know anything about this?

You sound depressed and stressed to me. A bit of stress can be motivating in the short run but for me when I'm faced with a huge amount of stress I react by switching off. It's some kind of defense mechanism I guess to stop you from going crazy when you run the risk of being overwhelmed but if it continues for long periods of time it's just counter productive. Have you talked to anyone about depression and/or possibly anxiety?

Correcting previous mistakes, trying to catch-up is hugely stressful. Not only do you have to do your current work but also deal with the backlog from the past. Could you talk to anyone at your school to help you focus on what's important right now, make a plan or structure your work better?

kayfishandchips
03-09-14, 04:01 PM
I think I really feel you now, for about the past two weeks I have been getting similar feelings, It feels my brain has just stagnated, at school I dont do anything, then i just struggle to get any motivation for any thing at home. This is way worse than what I have experienced so far in my highschool ADD career. Its quite a shame too i struggled and fought for a 3.5 gpa for so long and now on my last semester it all goes down the toilet.

sarahsweets
03-10-14, 06:21 AM
are you on any meds or getting treatment for your adhd?

stef
03-10-14, 08:16 AM
Mayben it's just not easy to keep the momentum, all year
everything seems so "fresh" and excitiing in September; but by this time of year...
or your classes are less interesting, than the 1st semester ?

kwalk
03-13-14, 02:27 AM
If I could look back on high school and had known what I know now.... I think memory affects a lot medication or no medication. I think that's why you feel empty inside, my mind goes blank a lot. If I reread a sentence a lot and remind myself what I'm learning, it helps. It's funny what your mind does to distract you from what's really going on and you're going to feel depressed and think it's you when you can't think straight. When I feel that way around friends I remind myself what I was talking about earlier with them and it helps me... Get back to reality.