View Full Version : Other Options?

Mcgregger44
02-20-14, 04:20 PM
So basically, I have ADD, depression, panic attacks and social anxiety and have been medicated accordingly for the last 8 years or so. I'm in my early twenties and should be enjoying life now more than ever but I feel stuck or like I'm floating through life without any direction or motivation. I have been on Zoloft, Effexor, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Pristiq, Lexapro, Xanax, Focalin, Adderall and countless other medications and combinations of said meds.

I feel as though I have never been happy in the longest of times, always "just ok" at best. I have no motivation and it is physically hard to do daily tasks which often are accompanied by a bowling ball sized lump in my chest. Im constantly bitter and negative to people which only distances myself even more. I'm very self conscious and hard on myself and can never look at the glass half full (except when I'm taking Focalin). I've tried therapy and meditation along with forced positive thinking and hollow hopefulness but I feel as though my underlying voice or depressed subconscious overshadows any attempt I make. And another weird thing is its not like my thoughts are skewed or foggy, I feel as though my thinking is clearer than ever only justifying my upsetting feelings.

Anyway my point isn't to waste your time complaining, I was just curious if there was other types or off label meds that would be better for me. I have given at least half a dozen SSRI's a chance along with meds such as Abilify to help reinforce the effects of the meds but I never really feel "normal". Zoloft was the closest thing to a normal life but it made me emotionless and constantly exhausted. I'd appreciate any input or comments on things that I could try or stuff that has helped you guys keep on keeping on. Thanks.

425runner
02-20-14, 10:08 PM
I've been through the same thing. What has helped me the most if Rhodiola Rosea, the GAIA herbs brand. 1 capsule on empty stomach upon waking and then another in the aftermoon. It seems to put me in a good mood, I don't worry about things, just get on with my day.

You're right, SSRIs are wonderful in terms of making one feel "floaty" and putting a cushion agains the outside world. I always felt like my brain was wrapped in a blanket...so comfy...but this is a sure way to complacency. Just be happy with whatever you have and not care about anything. You'd never achieve anything that way....

Another things that have helped is CDP-Choline, 250 mg in the morning and maybe at lunch. 4 grams of fish oil/day; B-vitamins, Mg at night, ashwagandha at night and 200 mg suntheanine before bed is as close as it gets to feeling really good and chill.

Weight lifting 2 days/week, have a whey shake afterwards. Try to cut back on junk food.

I could go on and on....but take it one day at a time and start with the Rhodiola and some vitamins.

Greyhound1
02-20-14, 11:17 PM
So basically, I have ADD, depression, panic attacks and social anxiety and have been medicated accordingly for the last 8 years or so. I'm in my early twenties and should be enjoying life now more than ever but I feel stuck or like I'm floating through life without any direction or motivation. I have been on Zoloft, Effexor, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Pristiq, Lexapro, Xanax, Focalin, Adderall and countless other medications and combinations of said meds.

I feel as though I have never been happy in the longest of times, always "just ok" at best. I have no motivation and it is physically hard to do daily tasks which often are accompanied by a bowling ball sized lump in my chest. Im constantly bitter and negative to people which only distances myself even more. I'm very self conscious and hard on myself and can never look at the glass half full (except when I'm taking Focalin). I've tried therapy and meditation along with forced positive thinking and hollow hopefulness but I feel as though my underlying voice or depressed subconscious overshadows any attempt I make. And another weird thing is its not like my thoughts are skewed or foggy, I feel as though my thinking is clearer than ever only justifying my upsetting feelings.

Anyway my point isn't to waste your time complaining, I was just curious if there was other types or off label meds that would be better for me. I have given at least half a dozen SSRI's a chance along with meds such as Abilify to help reinforce the effects of the meds but I never really feel "normal". Zoloft was the closest thing to a normal life but it made me emotionless and constantly exhausted. I'd appreciate any input or comments on things that I could try or stuff that has helped you guys keep on keeping on. Thanks.

Check out the supplement SAM-e (S-adenosylmethionine). I tried about every SSRI for 12 years with nothing but bad side effects. I read about SAM-e here on this forum, so I discussed it with my Dr.

Surprisingly, she said several of her ADHD patients seem to really benefit from it. It also has an excellent safety record. SAM-e is a naturally occurring molecule produced our bodies. This just helps to increase low levels. It plays a vital role in maintaining healthy emotions.

I have taken it now for a year and I know it has greatly helped. Much more benefit then I ever got from SSRI's.

Good luck

Mcgregger44
02-20-14, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys or girls, I really appreciate the input. As you probably know, dealing with this nonsense is pretty isolating, I can't thank you guys enough!

Jordanna
02-21-14, 01:11 AM
I've got nothing to add, except to say that the frustration of trying most every medication under the sun just to be left still searching can be pretty maddening. I'm in just the same boat on that, and I guess I'll be trying these suggested supplements, too.

Most useless post in the world, but I'm crossing my fingers for us both.