View Full Version : Help/advice to deal with PMS with ADHD

Sunlovinlady
02-21-14, 06:28 PM
Help! I turn into a psychotic freak of a woman when I am PMS'ing. I feel bad because I make a ginormous deal out of every little detail if something does not go right in the days before my period. I end up taking it out on my poor boyfriend who is beyond sweet and amazing. He's sitting there thinking he's doing something wrong when it's just me getting all worked up over nothing.

Can anyone relate?

Any advice or how to cope or stop this? I can't seem to stop it in the moment at all. I've tried a lot.

zilphy
02-22-14, 09:18 PM
I heard one lady say the only thing that helps her adhd with pms is primal screaming while clutching a Wendy's baconator. Seriously, I understand that as our estrogen levels drop our adhd symptoms increase. Another lady starts taking a low dose of zoloft about 10 days prior to her period starting. She stops the first day of her period. We are definitively dealing with complex adhd hormone issues. I take 12.5 zoloft daily with 12.5 adderall. I get grumpy during pms but not psychotic like I used to.

lavita_bella
02-23-14, 04:18 PM
This made me laugh a lot ^ Sounds about right, lol!

I also agree that after treating my ADHD with medication the PMS has gotten significantly better. Not only am I less cranky in general, but I can more often than not pinpoint my PMS symptoms and separate them from my regular emotional reactivity/impulsiveness/stressful situations so that I can take a step back during the week and say "okay, no big decisions, hair dying, starting fights with my bf, or big projects until NEXT WEEK." lol!

Of course, some things have to be taken care of no matter what, but I've learned to pull back a little and take a break when I get PMS. :P

Does anyone here take birth control and has that had any effect on your mood? I'm about to start some but I'm a little unsure with the Adderall/Intuniv combo (Intuniv at night only).

Piper30
03-01-14, 12:15 AM
Help! I turn into a psychotic freak of a woman when I am PMS'ing. I feel bad because I make a ginormous deal out of every little detail if something does not go right in the days before my period. I end up taking it out on my poor boyfriend who is beyond sweet and amazing. He's sitting there thinking he's doing something wrong when it's just me getting all worked up over nothing.

Can anyone relate?

Any advice or how to cope or stop this? I can't seem to stop it in the moment at all. I've tried a lot.

Have you been checked for PMDD ? Translation-very scary woman during that time. JK .. premenstrual dysphoric disorder (I think? My mind just went blank) Anyway it is common and there are certain birth control pills that will help it. Even if you don't have that certain bc pills can make your symptoms worse especially your moods. I have to be on one with the lowest hormones possible because any introduction of any kind of med that alters my mood can be extreme for me.

Best advice though I can give is keep track! Get a calendar. Every episode or outburst of any kind you have mark it down. Mark down the days of your period also. Learn to track your cycle, because your mood will start to shift before you get your period of course. Once you have this down it will be easier to say which is ADHD/mental health issues you have that are normal for you and PMS. THEN be prepared. .... you will know the day is coming when your mood will most likely shift, having this knowledge and being aware of it will help you stop yourself or at least apologize quicker when you have an outburst. Not that you are using it as an excuse, but trying to be proactive and at least cut down on number of times you snap. Then be proud of how many people survived your wrath with your hard work :)

BTW it took me about three months to get this down. I do so like shiny things .. lol

lavita_bella
03-01-14, 04:57 AM
I don't know if this is off-subject, but can Adderall affect your menstrual cycle in any way? I've noticed that my period has been a bit irregular ever since I started taking it. Then again, I may just be more observant in general :)

T_SWUK
03-16-14, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I am also an ADHD woman who suffers terribly with PMS!! I have started taking Angus Cactus, which is the younger woman's evening primrose! It definitely helps!

What I struggle greatly with is weight gain linked with low motivation and depression! Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Sunlovinlady
03-17-14, 12:37 PM
Oh man..you ladies are awesome and hilarious!

Zilphy- thanks for the laugh!

Lavita Bella- thanks for the the hope. I'll see next time how things pan out now that I'm on meds.

Piper30- I hadn't even thought to check that. Could be! I can't seem to take birth control. Everytime I do, no matter how low the dose, I hate the issues I get with it. They outweigh the good. I do somewhat track my period with an app. I have but even knowing it's coming I still can't seem to stop myself. It's like I'm watching myself go into full crazy mode and thinking "this isn't cool" but I keep going. Maybe it will be better this time with the meds. Anyway, thanks for the ideas and encouragement!

Sunlovinlady
03-17-14, 12:38 PM
T SWUK- Thanks, I'll check that out! I take Rhodiola for mood now but it's worth a shot. I'm always down with trying natural things.