View Full Version : Cocoa Powder Benefits

kstate23
02-22-14, 10:28 PM
I've had good success with green tea (sustained energy and relaxed mood), but I've recently been drinking unsweetened hot chocolate (hot water with 1&1/2 tbsp of cocoa powder). I can feel some unique effects from cocoa. I've read a lot of good things about it. Has anyone else been consuming a lot of it too?

Thanks!

Unmanagable
02-22-14, 10:33 PM
I use a mixture of organic cocoa and organic cacao powder and nibs in some of my smoothie recipes almost daily. I use them in place of the carnation instant breakfast chocolate powder. I can't stand to even smell that now. The chemical stench burns my nose. I made some salted dark chocolate candy with them, too. Yummm!!

kstate23
02-23-14, 03:23 PM
I use a mixture of organic cocoa and organic cacao powder and nibs in some of my smoothie recipes almost daily. I use them in place of the carnation instant breakfast chocolate powder. I can't stand to even smell that now. The chemical stench burns my nose. I made some salted dark chocolate candy with them, too. Yummm!!

Can you tell a difference between cacao and cocoa?

Unmanagable
02-23-14, 03:40 PM
I can't tell a significant difference between the cocoa and cacao, unless I use the hershey's or store brand cocoa vs. the organic. It's a very subtle difference, but noticeable to me. I like to mix it because the cacao is more expensive, so I try to stretch it out.

It took a while for me to enjoy the less sugary taste. I used to be a huge processed milk chocolate fan and kept a steady supply of reese cups and hershey kisses in the candy dish. Those are way too sweet for my taste buds now. Although easter is coming and I used to especially love those reese eggs. Mmmmmmm.............

kstate23
02-23-14, 10:24 PM
I can't tell a significant difference between the cocoa and cacao, unless I use the hershey's or store brand cocoa vs. the organic. It's a very subtle difference, but noticeable to me. I like to mix it because the cacao is more expensive, so I try to stretch it out.

It took a while for me to enjoy the less sugary taste. I used to be a huge processed milk chocolate fan and kept a steady supply of reese cups and hershey kisses in the candy dish. Those are way too sweet for my taste buds now. Although easter is coming and I used to especially love those reese eggs. Mmmmmmm.............

Okay, that's good to know. Thanks! I've cut sugar from my diet (except fruits/veggies) and have seen a lot of benefits from it. I'm sure you've seen benefits from having unsweetened chocolate :)

someothertime
02-24-14, 11:09 AM
this is a little tangent tho' i got some dark chocolate with acai from a health food store once...

might be worth a look to see if there are any affordable... tea's with acai also... or maybe a homemade one ;)

( sure it had sugar which is perhaps not so good and was a little expensive )