View Full Version : ADD and the Joy of Car Maintenance

safelanding
02-23-14, 02:25 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for getting over the hump of procrastination on a chore you need to do - specifically, taking my car in for regular maintenance.

I have just been diagnosed with ADD, which is funny, because I never identified with the symptoms until my counselor explained that you don't have to have had bad grades or behavior problems growing up to have trouble with attention.

I've learned that my ADD does not manifest so much with work or school (better coping mechanisms in those environments), but with personal chores - especially "big" chores like taking in the car for maintenance every few months. I procrastinate, and then the lateness of it all triggers major anxiety that leads to me shutting down and procrastinating some more.

I'm 2,000 miles behind on taking my car in, and I just missed the opportunity this weekend again. I want to take it in early tomorrow before work and have them drive me to work, but I have a hard enough time making sure I don't end up late to work, let alone getting up even earlier.

Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated!

sarahsweets
02-23-14, 03:26 PM
AAA. Or flirt with a decent mechanic.

daveddd
02-23-14, 05:49 PM
don't you have any of those drive threw ones by you?

they're usually open on the weekends or go during lunch

safelanding
02-23-14, 06:07 PM
Dave, I will definitely be doing that once my warranty is out . . . that used to be one of my go-tos, but I have a warranty that requires dealership maintenance at regular intervals right now - thank goodness it will never be more than another 5 months or so after this one.

Your post actually brings me some comfort, as I do find the quick lubes a lot easier to work with. Somehow, I completely forgot about those and had this fatalistic idea that I was doomed to procrastinate and ruin my car forever. LOL

Yeah, my hesitation is the limited hours the dealership is open, and not having a ride, and not wanting to sit there for hours (it's a slow dealership), and also not wanting the little guy that checks me out to give me a story about how I've waited waaay too long. Like he's my dad or something.

Also, I just suck at energy on the weekends for some reason. It might be the sudden lack of structure? I know I move with more purpose during the week when I actually have a schedule. I am terrible with self-imposed schedules and routines.

safelanding
02-23-14, 06:28 PM
LOL @ Sarah - maybe after my warranty is up

wholeheart
02-24-14, 06:25 PM
I have a horrible time with this kind of stuff too!

I'm far from perfect, but one thing that's helped me is to book service appointments 6 months in advance and just flag it in my daytimer. I never actually keep that original appointment, I always end up changing it as my schedule evolves, but for some reason it's easier for me to have an appointment and change it than it is to just call in and book it.

And actually, I tend to procrastinate really badly on phone calls, so I always request service appointments using my dealership's website, or make contact via email.

:/ Oh the things I do to get things done.... *sigh*

ALSO: I used to date a mechanic, and he laughed when I told him how much anxiety my car caused me. Apparently people abuse/neglect their vehicles so much more than I'd ever expected. It made me feel a lot more confident about standing up to the guys at the dealership...

Nicksgonefishin
02-26-14, 10:33 PM
I think Emailing for an appointment is a wonderful idea!

This is how I finally made a dentist appointment!

Rebelyell
02-27-14, 12:10 AM
If you run synthetic in it you can go 5000 to 10000 thousand miles and its actually more cost effective and better for your engine.The newer vehicles have much tighter engine clearances and the spark and emission/fuel engine management systems are so efficient you have a hotter burning engine that doesn't contaminate the lower end/oil w gas,burnt combustion ,moisture as much as the older designed vehicles.Synthetic oil also tends to stand up better to the heat and wont break down and sludge the engine up like dino oil as long as you change it at 5000 to 10000 miles.They make oil kits that you can send to the lab that tells you whats going on inside your engine and you can make even more precise judgments when to change oil w that if you wanna get that crazy w it.

lavita_bella
03-01-14, 05:41 AM
Ha! I'm sorry, I read the title of this post and laughed.... my car needs so much work done on it (but I guess that's partially due to my funds, too)...

Idk, my boyfriend knows a lot about cars and my uncle does, too. I just usually ask them for help or advice whenever I'm not sure what to do, and they're great at motivating me to do something about a problem I have or helping out themselves :) I'm a very social person so this works the best for me.

I also have AAA, too. It's a lifesaver for when you lock your keys in your car :P

Toogoofy
04-16-14, 02:29 PM
I'll do your oil change if you clean my room! I finally forced myself to work on my desk and I can actually see it. I enjoy working on my car so maintenance is typically kept up but I hate housework! So I know your pain.

Goofy

GirlieSoGroovy
04-24-14, 02:29 PM
I used to have AAA, but now I use Verizon's roadside assistance program and it rocks too for lockouts (I've left the car with the keys in it RUNNING so many times), when you run out of gas, towing, etc. They just add a fee to your monthly bill (I think it's $3) and you have a limited number of times per year you can use it, but you can use it on any car that you are in and since these things happened to me so frequently it paid for itself all year within a month or two of starting the plan. The service providers are usually very prompt. Of course you don't get the AAA discounts on regular maintenance but I feel that Verizon's roadside assistance is a better value for me since my boyfriend is very good with cars and can change my oil and change brake pads and all that good stuff.

Rebelyell
04-24-14, 08:42 PM
I'm a maniac when it comes to maintenance cause I know what stuff costs.Wish I could be like bro get in start it amd.not even know where the dipstick is.

ginniebean
04-24-14, 09:14 PM
I have a sister who says "it's time to take your car in" and follows thru with mild nagging.

Lunacie
04-24-14, 09:42 PM
If you run synthetic in it you can go 5000 to 10000 thousand miles and its actually more cost effective and better for your engine.The newer vehicles have much tighter engine clearances and the spark and emission/fuel engine management systems are so efficient you have a hotter burning engine that doesn't contaminate the lower end/oil w gas,burnt combustion ,moisture as much as the older designed vehicles.Synthetic oil also tends to stand up better to the heat and wont break down and sludge the engine up like dino oil as long as you change it at 5000 to 10000 miles.They make oil kits that you can send to the lab that tells you whats going on inside your engine and you can make even more precise judgments when to change oil w that if you wanna get that crazy w it.

I don't put a lot of miles on my car so I get the oil changed twice a year instead of 4 times a year.

That halves the pain, the worry, and the guilt. Yay!

However, I've been postponing replacing a bulb in a turn signal for months. My granddaughter uses my car a couple of times a week (at least) and it was making her nuts, so when a second turn signal burned out she went to the parts shop and bought the bulbs and changed them herself. Yay!

Unmanagable
04-25-14, 12:06 AM
I can do a few basic things, but the hubster does the oil changes and most of the maintenance. I used to be into tinkering a lot more when I worked at an auto parts shop.

I once changed the heater out in my old Toyota Camry wagon while the hubs was still inside reading the manual. :D I learned from watching my mechanic friend take it out to see if he could find me one at a junkyard, and he did, for $60, compared to the $700 + labor the dealership wanted. That exceeded the book value of the car. lmao

Lunacie, that would have driven me crazy, too. lol I have a sticker that says "I bet Jesus would have used HIS turn signal." Hahahahaha!!! I always try to make it a point to tell peeps when they have a light out, too, so they don't get pulled over needlessly.

Lunacie
04-25-14, 12:46 AM
I can do a few basic things, but the hubster does the oil changes and most of the maintenance. I used to be into tinkering a lot more when I worked at an auto parts shop.

I once changed the heater out in my old Toyota Camry wagon while the hubs was still inside reading the manual. :D I learned from watching my mechanic friend take it out to see if he could find me one at a junkyard, and he did, for $60, compared to the $700 + labor the dealership wanted. That exceeded the book value of the car. lmao

Lunacie, that would have driven me crazy, too. lol I have a sticker that says "I bet Jesus would have used HIS turn signal." Hahahahaha!!! I always try to make it a point to tell peeps when they have a light out, too, so they don't get pulled over needlessly.

What makes ME crazy is the drivers who put on their turn indicator as they begin to turn instead of some distance before beginning the turn or lane change.

Yo, butthead, I already figured it out. :umm1:

Unmanagable
04-25-14, 12:52 AM
And don't forget the random few who'll turn the opposite way of their signal indicator. Grrrrrrrrrrrr........

Fuzzy12
04-25-14, 03:21 AM
What makes ME crazy is the drivers who put on their turn indicator as they begin to turn instead of some distance before beginning the turn or lane change.

Yo, butthead, I already figured it out. :umm1:

How about the ones who indicate after turning?:doh:

What I find always curious is that some people dont indicate especially if they are quickly cutting in front of you... isn't that when indicating is the most important?

mrs. dobbs
04-25-14, 03:52 AM
lolzy

kwalk
04-29-14, 02:16 AM
Story of my life 😆😆😆😆😆 my car is old too 😳😳

Hypoactive
04-30-14, 03:48 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for getting over the hump of procrastination on a chore you need to do - specifically, taking my car in for regular maintenance.

easy: get your husband to do it. do something for him in return.

(omg, my mind just went in the gutter...that is NOT what i meant, people! then again, hey, whatever works?!)

(i'm female, btw!)

Lunacie
04-30-14, 04:15 PM
easy: get your husband to do it. do something for him in return.

(omg, my mind just went in the gutter...that is NOT what i meant, people! then again, hey, whatever works?!)

(i'm female, btw!)

My hubby took care of the cars, I took care of the yard work. Then we divorced.

And then it was up to me to remember to get someone else to change the oil. :umm1:

addthree
04-30-14, 04:29 PM
ADD and the art of automobile maintenance.

Rebelyell
04-30-14, 06:37 PM
I can indeed do both and do both well!:D

Asylum
05-27-14, 09:38 PM
I can't afford to keep my car maintained - if it breaks, it breaks, and I'm screwed. Be positive about it. If necessary, imbue your car with human (or kitten) attributes so you feel pressured to take care of it.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kp3jpdIHWK1qzbpaho1_500.jpg

"I needz oil!"