View Full Version : Prior Addiction - Concerned About Getting Addicted to Adderall

JavaJunkie37
02-24-14, 03:47 AM
Hey. I am a recovering alcoholic, and have been sober for two years now.

I can't put help being paranoid that I have some deep set addictive tendencies that I don't know about and that I will get hooked on Adderall.

I know you all aren't doctors, but in your opinion should I worry? And do you have any tips on keeping a tolerance from developing?

dvdnvwls
02-24-14, 04:12 AM
Tolerance: don't ever take extra. Period.

There are people who might have deep-set addictive tendencies. However, there are a lot of people with ADHD who in desperation have used whatever substances they can find, to try to fix themselves. "Self-medication". Alcohol obviously won't fix any ADHD, but it blunts anxiety, and a lot of us have anxiety from (or at least along with) ADHD. Many people who self-medicate (maybe including you) find that once they have some ADHD medication that really somewhat works, they no longer crave their old addictions - they don't need them anymore.

Do pay attention to signs of becoming addicted to Adderall - basically it boils down to never take more than prescribed. If you ever take more than prescribed, become concerned. If you ever have a trend of (after the initial dose-adjustment period of a few weeks) continually increasing doses, then assume you're in addiction territory, and get back to the doctor immediately to report that fact.

JavaJunkie37
02-24-14, 04:18 AM
I read somewhere that people sometimes skip a day, like say they just don't take the pill on Saturdays. Is that an ok thing? Is that a suggested thing?

I am not adjusting my dose at all, my diagnosis was....well a joke...and my general doctor who has seen me multiple times got fed up with me having to wait for help and wrote me a script. Until I can get off of one of the waiting lists I am on though and into a psych office I am scared to adjust at all, since I don't know what I really am expecting.

Sorry if I sound paranoid, it just scares me to potentially go down that road again, even if the chance is like .01%.

sarahsweets
02-24-14, 05:17 AM
I am an alcoholic as well and I have been on adderall for 3 years. I have never abused my meds. It is something to watch for sure but very often untreated adhd causes people to self medicate and once they are treated properly they are ok. DVD is right you have to pay close attention to your body and if you abuse adderall you need to talk to your doctor right away.

someothertime
02-24-14, 05:52 AM
Another thing is to try to always be mindful that the meds are part of a "treatment methodology"... and not some switch or magical "doing substance" in their own right...

Use daily pill boxes so you can flip a lid at each dosage interval... carrying the whole bottle or stuffing them in your pocket leads to forgetfullness and less presence about how they are mean't to be taken.

So, if they are part of a bigger treatment plan ( as they always should be )... the risks are less... with us though... this "plabn" over time can become less and less clear... that's why systems such as the box... help to re-inforce the whole picture and direction...

JavaJunkie37
02-24-14, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys! You really helped to make me feel less scared. :)

Blackstar
02-25-14, 06:14 AM
If you treat it with healthy respect, there's no need to be scared

SV650rider
02-25-14, 11:59 AM
I'm on 50mg (just bumped up from 30) of XR and don't feel any kind of "high" from it so (IMO) the likelihood of abuse is low.

Stevuke79
02-27-14, 02:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the research shows that when a recovering addict with ADHD goes on adderall, it reduces the chance of future addiction.

JavaJunkie37
02-27-14, 03:04 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the research shows that when a recovering addict with ADHD goes on adderall, it reduces the chance of future addiction.

I assume that is due to self medicating having been the original reason for abuse, but could you send me a link or was the research easy to find?

daveddd
02-27-14, 03:08 PM
the research will generally show medicated children are less likely to become addicts

I've seen accounts both ways after being in recovery , but no research

it may depend on the level on sobriety , i can tell you i was a serious cocaine addict for awhile and i can responsibly take meds

Stevuke79
02-27-14, 03:19 PM
TheGodess13 , I was going to wait till later to find those citations,.. but this issue is close to my heart and I often presume, as people should, that when someone makes a statement like mine without citations, they're either lying, talking out of their butt-hole or don't know what a citation is.

Sooooo... here you go :)

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/early/2013/06/21/bjp.bp.112.124784.abstract?sid=18c24f5f-d5df-495a-ba8a-08b050a56789

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/are-children-who-take-ritalin-246186.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081006180519.htm

madawake
02-27-14, 05:52 PM
I have only ever been privy to reports of adderall abuse not addiction. And I can't say I've ever heard a report about a physiological dependence of adderall. But the day isn't over yet. At best a mental addiction could propagate itself. In where you think you need it, think you cannot live with out it but your body will experiences zero symptoms of withdraw.

execfunc
02-28-14, 01:00 AM
I was addicted to a lot of stuff over the years: alcohol, pot, some cocaine use throughout my teens and twenties, and nicotine (cigarettes) from my teens to my early thirties. I quit drinking and drugs more than 15 years ago and cigarettes more than 11 years ago. I used those drugs to self-medicate due to the mess ADHD made out of my life before I was diagnosed and got treatment. I didn't miss it at all after a couple of years or less.

Adderall is nothing like that stuff for me. Being able to think clearly, engage positively with people, work toward a fulfilling life, etc. these things are immensely more gratifying than recreational euphoria, and will likely inhibit you if you ever faced the temptation to abuse your meds.

Infinityman
02-28-14, 05:44 AM
Why do you think this is an indication of me abusing meds?I wondered that too.

daveddd
02-28-14, 07:15 AM
I have only ever been privy to reports of adderall abuse not addiction. And I can't say I've ever heard a report about a physiological dependence of adderall. But the day isn't over yet. At best a mental addiction could propagate itself. In where you think you need it, think you cannot live with out it but your body will experiences zero symptoms of withdraw.

mental dependence can be much worse than physical

at the time physical addiction may seem worse

but addiction problems are almost never solved by a physical detox

Abi
02-28-14, 08:00 PM
Thread temporarily closed for staff review

Abi
02-28-14, 08:15 PM
MODERATOR NOTE:

All discussion of Sarah's cat has been deemed off topic and expunged from this thread.

Please stick to the topic and respect the Thread Starter.

Any further off topic posts, insulting or inflammatory posts, and so forth will be met with infractions.

Thread Re-Opened. Carry On.

Dano82
03-02-14, 01:38 PM
Hey. I am a recovering alcoholic, and have been sober for two years now.

I can't put help being paranoid that I have some deep set addictive tendencies that I don't know about and that I will get hooked on Adderall.

I know you all aren't doctors, but in your opinion should I worry? And do you have any tips on keeping a tolerance from developing?

Thanks for this post. I'm in the same boat. I have abused substances (various illegal drugs) for most of my life. My diagnosis and prescription to Adderall was a game changer. HUGE game changer

However, as much as I KNOW I literally cannot read study or do productive work without treatment (really - what a relief to know I'm not lazy or stupid and that my brain just isn't wired to do well with single task focus) I am absolutely terrified that I might abuse Adderall.

You see, adderall was one of my drugs of choice. I would take very large quantities and mix with other drugs. Ironically, I am now prescribed to it and the therapeutic use is fantastic. But because of my past history, I feel guilty for taking it. I'm afraid I'll go off the rails with it or become dependent.

It's good to know I'm not alone in this. I'm happy to report that my desire to get high is almost non-existent. I don't enjoy the side effects of Adderall and I'm trying to balance the right amount of dose to allow me to get my school/work tasks done without taking too much (this can be hard to do).

I'm hoping that in the long term I'll have confidence in taking it. In the mean time, I think this is just my karma for long term self-medication. In the end, I don't think addiction will be an issue as long as I'm not taking more than prescribed or asking for an increase in dosage...

Again - thanks for sharing. Good luck with your AD/HD treatment.

sarahsweets
03-04-14, 06:00 AM
However, as much as I KNOW I literally cannot read study or do productive work without treatment (really - what a relief to know I'm not lazy or stupid and that my brain just isn't wired to do well with single task focus) I am absolutely terrified that I might abuse Adderall..

Its not impossible to take adderall safely after you have abused it, but really watch it. Alot of people have a hard time taking a substance they have previously abused the proper way. I know this is not at all the same as taking adderall but being that I am an alcoholic, *I cant use any alcohol because I cant control it or use it safely. I could never return to normal drinking because the minute I cant that buzz I go off the rails. Some people have this happen with adderall when they used to abuse it.

Stubby
03-04-14, 12:09 PM
I'm alcoholic as well, along with prior affections for anything mood-altering, and use stimulants knowing fully I'm not much better than a match watching over a can of gasoline. But my previous appetite for destruction was fed by the inner knowledge that I was different emotionally and mentally from society at-large. I tried to fit, but I was part of a different puzzle and my ways to cope always led to mistakes, misery and police records. In my last years of active addiction I believed with all my heart that death was the only way to stop it.

Every day I glance over my shoulder and stare into that abyss to keep it fresh in my mind, but the edge isn't so slippery anymore. Meds give me the leg up to function like a regular joe and that's what I was always really after. If I were to abuse stimulants, it would only be for a fast thrill that would cost the love, trust, hope, everything of value to me. So as long as I keep remembering, I can deeply appreciate the solid ground I currently stand on and use the specialty tools I have to build a new life. We can do a lot of good with a sharp saw as long as we're mindful to keep our fingers away from the blade. :)

Dano82
03-19-14, 05:32 PM
I think a source of encouragement for me is that, unlike an alcoholic, I was never addicted to adderall in the sense of craving it. Or maybe it's just a milder form of addition. I would never really CRAVE to take it - I just really enjoyed it on the weekends.

Guess it's kinda like being in college and binge drinking on the weekend but not "needing" a drink during the week?