View Full Version : Phenylethylamine (PEA) - Has anyone tried this?

kstate23
02-25-14, 06:57 PM
I'm always looking for things to help my energy and focus levels. I don't take stimulant medication because I could never find one that agreed with me. Anyways, has anyone tried this and had any luck? Any comments/POV are welcome, but I'm mostly looking for people who took it without medication.

Thank you!

InvitroCanibal
02-25-14, 08:42 PM
Yes, it actually worked well but it wears off rather quickly. It's interesting because the tolerance is just as rapid as amphetamine except that it's long term benefits are negligible where as amphetamine tends to still work in the back round after the initial honey moon.

To be specific, I took about 300mgs a day of it. First few days I felt pretty happy. Then it got shorter and shorter in duration. It was odd as it almost felt like a high when nicotine was combined but it wasn't really something good because of that. I tend to fear most chemical induced euphoria because I know it will destabilize me at that point and the mania/depression will set in. (Bipolar dx with adhd)

I can't speak for you though or your metabolism but honestly I just stick to chocolate milk at this point lol. Both those foods contain PEA, anything higher than a natural amount will give you a tolerance just like amph.

I suppose it would be good if you wanted to lose weight as a lot of foods might start having little to no effect on ones mood. That's sort of what happened to me, everything was kinda bland for a while after I stopped taking it.

Lastly, it didn't do anything for my focus/willpower

If you want alternative meds, that are more natural, go with ginko or nicotine but that's if you are morally opposed to adhd meds or can't tolerate them.

Nothing can compare to strength training though and it's something I do irregardless of medications. Though I've fallen behind recently lol.

Good luck

kstate23
02-25-14, 10:49 PM
Yes, it actually worked well but it wears off rather quickly. It's interesting because the tolerance is just as rapid as amphetamine except that it's long term benefits are negligible where as amphetamine tends to still work in the back round after the initial honey moon.

To be specific, I took about 300mgs a day of it. First few days I felt pretty happy. Then it got shorter and shorter in duration. It was odd as it almost felt like a high when nicotine was combined but it wasn't really something good because of that. I tend to fear most chemical induced euphoria because I know it will destabilize me at that point and the mania/depression will set in. (Bipolar dx with adhd)

I can't speak for you though or your metabolism but honestly I just stick to chocolate milk at this point lol. Both those foods contain PEA, anything higher than a natural amount will give you a tolerance just like amph.

I suppose it would be good if you wanted to lose weight as a lot of foods might start having little to no effect on ones mood. That's sort of what happened to me, everything was kinda bland for a while after I stopped taking it.

Lastly, it didn't do anything for my focus/willpower

If you want alternative meds, that are more natural, go with ginko or nicotine but that's if you are morally opposed to adhd meds or can't tolerate them.

Nothing can compare to strength training though and it's something I do irregardless of medications. Though I've fallen behind recently lol.

Good luck

That's good to know about mood. That was the problem with a lot of meds or if I have to much caffeine (i.e., coffee). I have been drinking cocoa powder (just hot water and cocoa powder) and I really like the taste and the effects. I guess I'll stick to the natural source for now.

And you're right about strength training. I've been lifting for 10 years and I love it. I believe it does help with daytime energy and focus. Thanks for your input!

BabyBear86
12-31-14, 11:23 AM
I've been trying it nearly a week now and found that it didn't really do much at all when I took 500mg daily, then I doubled the dose to give me 1g and got a really, really nice like warm and fuzzy feeling and found myself thinking nice and clear in a straight line. It's supposed to be very beneficial for depression too so if you have that as well, this could really help. I have heard about the fast tolerance though, so it may well stop working for me quite soon.

Jongeman
01-05-15, 12:55 PM
Read about it. Didn't do it for me.

For me (ADD-I(inattentive)) the most effective supplements used are:

-Fish oil; HIGH epa vs. dha ratio! Should be 2:1, 3:1 or 4:1. Most fish oils are crappy. There are only a few on the market having this high EPA-ratio. Carefully check the fish oils because only this ratio truly makes a difference. (I currently use Royal Green Omega 3)

-L-Tyrosine (precursor to dopamine and noradrenaline) Works wonders for focus. Take 2 capsules (500mg per capsule) and you have so much energy, focus. Perhaps you'll get jittery. In that case just run it off which really works wonders.

-Ashwaganda. General optimistic feeling, more energy. Beneficial to libido as well.

-Rhodiola. Strange supplement: makes me very, very calm and 'detached'. It's a very, very pleasant feeling. Although it doesn't provide me the 'I'll take care of that!'-kind of energy I need.

-Heard a lot about Mucuna pruriens. Gonna order it and try it.

-Proanthocyanidin (extract from grape bark). Seems to work for some. It widens the small capillaries in your body, thereby increasing blood flow in and to the brain. Tried it, but gave me a little bit of a head ache. (also used btw for varicose veins ^_^).

Don't really have a steady regiment. But I ALWAYS take my fish oil. Others when I feel/think I need or will need them.

Cheers