View Full Version : Study Links ADHD with Acetomophin/Paracetamol use during pregnancy

kilted_scotsman
02-26-14, 06:49 AM
http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1833486

Article from Journal of the American Medical Association....

This wouldn't surprise me.... could be several things happening....

Straight Paracetamol issue...

Paracetamol + Genetic sensitivity

Paracetamol toxicity causes a proportion of ADHD cases..... ie there are several causes of ADHD that we haven't differentiated yet.

kilted

datajunkie
02-26-14, 11:47 AM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140225101656.htm

Lunacie
02-26-14, 11:47 AM
But ... Tylenol didn't hit store shelves until I was 5 years old ...

and we never had it in our house when I was a child, only aspirin.

:scratch:

Abi
02-26-14, 11:52 AM
Lolz.

My mum makes a point of telling me on a regular basis that when she had a painful infection when I was In Vivo, she didnt even take 1 Tylenol out of concern for me. :)

salleh
02-26-14, 11:59 AM
.....Wow ......pretty impressive research ....and about as reputable as possible .....with a base of 64,000 mothers and children .....and a marked increase in the number of children with ADHD and hyperkinetic disorder ,....

......I belive it ....

meadd823
02-26-14, 01:32 PM
My mom is severely allergic to Tylenol. . . .so that is a no go as far as the cause for my ADHD is concerned.

Lunacie
02-26-14, 01:40 PM
.....Wow ......pretty impressive research ....and about as reputable as possible .....with a base of 64,000 mothers and children .....and a marked increase in the number of children with ADHD and hyperkinetic disorder ,....

......I belive it ....

Did the link work for you? It doesn't work when I click on it.

Twiggy
02-26-14, 01:43 PM
My mom never took Tylenol. Only prenatal vitamins and iron. I just asked.

Lunacie
02-26-14, 01:46 PM
My mom never took Tylenol. Only prenatal vitamins and iron. I just asked.

My daughter (mother to one ADHD child and one autistic child) didn't take Tylenol.

She took prenatal vitamins and used ibuprophen for pain or fever.

meadd823
02-26-14, 02:57 PM
Acetaminophen Use During Pregnancy, Behavioral Problems, and Hyperkinetic Disorders (http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1833486)

More than half of all the mothers reported using acetaminophen while pregnant. The researchers found that children whose mothers used acetaminophen during pregnancy were at a 13 percent to 37 percent higher risk of later receiving a hospital diagnosis of hyperkinetic disorder, being treated with ADHD medications or having ADHD-like behaviors at age 7. The longer acetaminophen was taken -- that is, into the second and third trimesters -- the stronger the associations. The risks for hyperkinetic disorder/ADHD in children were elevated 50 percent or more when the mothers had used the common painkiller for more than 20 weeks in pregnancy.

"It's known from animal data that acetaminophen is a hormone disruptor, and abnormal hormonal exposures in pregnancy may influence fetal brain development," Ritz said.

Acetaminophen can cross the placental barrier, Ritz noted, and it is plausible that acetaminophen may interrupt fetal brain development by interfering with maternal hormones or through neurotoxicity, such as the induction of oxidative stress, which can cause the death of neurons.

"We need further research to verify these findings, but if these results reflect causal associations, then acetaminophen should no longer be considered a 'safe' drug for use in pregnancy," Olsen said.

Abi
02-26-14, 03:08 PM
Tylenol is intended for occasional use or for short term use eg. in the case of colds and flu.

It's not intended for continuous use for more than 10 days except under special circumstances.

20 weeks = 140 days is bizarre. Who takes Tylenol for 140 consecutive days? *ANY* medication (and probably any number of non-medicinal substances) is going to cause issues in the foetus if taken continuosly for so long during pregnancy.

Corina86
02-26-14, 03:11 PM
Whilst some correlation between the drug and ADHD does seem to exist, the drug might not be the cause. It could very well be an infection, the flu or whatever other reason the mother was taking paracetamol for long periods of time during pregnancy in the first place.

Lunacie
02-26-14, 03:49 PM
I find the idea of a virus causing these issues to be much more likely.

Abi
02-26-14, 04:55 PM
Excellent point. As I stated, my mother ha a pretty bad infection (nowhere near her womb) when I was in vivo. She refused all meds... ironically the infection itself could have had a role in messing me up!

Fraser_0762
02-26-14, 05:32 PM
My mum had a packet of smarties once when she was pregnant with me, so perhaps smarties cause ADHD?..... Or was it that cup of tea she had 20 weeks in? :scratch:

Seriously, ADHD is like Cancer. It's linked to everything.

Amtram
02-26-14, 06:11 PM
Telephone poll. I don't care where it was published, or how many people were called, self-reporting is one of the least reliable sources of evidence.

datajunkie
02-26-14, 06:27 PM
There are many things that put us at risk. Tylenol is one. I do know a number of people who gulped Tylenol at the maximum dose for extended periods of time for chronic pain and unable to use aspirin class meds. I react badly to salicylates--aspirin related chemicals. From some foods to topical preparations such as Absorbine--the mint and wintergreen oils are high in sals.

While none of the people I know who used so much Tylenol did so during pregnancy, I can imagine that a fair number of people just don't get the fact that many OTC products are not totally safe. They don't read the warnings or are unable to comprehend them.

My basic rule of thumb. Avoid all medications including OTC as much as possible. Go green as much as possible as so much in our food, water, personal care products, garden, cleaning and on and on are chemicals not well tested for safety, either alone or in combination with other chemicals. The website ourstolenfuture.org has some good info on many endocrine disrupting chemicals. Eat real food, organic when possible, don't cook in plastic or aluminum. I try to keep my body load of toxins as low as possible. I was exposed to second hand smoke and DDT early in life. Perhaps either or both were part of my AD/HD.

I had a discussion today with a midwife of 30 years experience. In the past year, she's delivered 2 boys who had malformed penises. Had heard of it, heard the incidence appears to be increasing but only saw it recently. This does appear linked to some pesticides and plastics. But many things could be the triggers. Data seems to indicate the incidence is rising.

It's possible that women might take enough Tylenol at a stage of pregnancy when vulnerability is greatest to be a trigger. Same appears true of alcohol and fetal alcohol syndrome, some stages appear more vulnerable to a woman having a glass of wine or two for a few days in a row but not drinking significant amounts through the entire pregnancy.

To me this is another bit of info on avoiding as many toxins as we can.

Abi
02-26-14, 06:57 PM
Don't tell ccom, Fraser.

Back in the day Smarties had ..... ARTIFICIAL COLOURANTS :eek: :eek: :eek: