View Full Version : Did Lamictal/Lamotrigine improve your memory?

InvitroCanibal
02-27-14, 02:04 PM
I started Lamotrigine almost a month ago. I found my memory and concentration improved vastly. My hyperfocus isn't as bad. However it seems the higher I go up, the more these effects seem to wane.

I am unsure how to proceed as I am supposed to go to a 300mg target dose but at 100mgs a day(50 mgs twice daily), I found my memory and focus to be sharp as a tack.

Currently I am at 200mgs, my memory is kind of where it was before. (Bad)

When I was at 100mgs, my declarative memory and short term memory were as good as it was when I was younger. I used to have a good memory before depression kinda hit me constantly.

The problem with the 100mg dose is my mania is still there, it gets worse at night. Most of the day it isn't all that bad, a slight hypomanic tendency but nothing too major. Now you may assume the memory improvement is a hypomanic state but actually I find no improvement to my memory at hypomania either. The easiest way to explain it, is I feel like I have less cross chatter in my head. When I tried to pull information out before, it was as if their was a block, or as if my mind was always racing so much I could never find the information in my head I needed.

I am aware these are things to discuss with my doctor, and I will, but I just want some insight on this because all I find in other forums is that peoples memory felt worse on lamictal.

Any insight/experiences/ comments would be appreciated

Thank you

Fuzzy12
03-02-14, 10:22 AM
I didn't have any memory improvement with Lamotrigine. I took upto 150mg I think, anything more than that and it f just knocked me out.

I'm wondering if the improved memory was due to an improvement in your moods. Both depression n and mania affect your memory.

I'm also wondering if mania is your main problem, as opposed to depression and mild hypomania is lamotrigine the right mood stabilizer for you. As far as I know it's supposed to help mainly with depression and some people have found that it actually induced mania. you might have more luck with another mood stabilizer like lithium

InvitroCanibal
03-04-14, 07:18 PM
Ya I'm wondering the same. I've been battling hypomania the past month. I'm at 300 mgs which is my target dose. I do feel less manic at this dose but also drowsy. It seems the memory improvement's faded past the 150mg point which is ironic because at 200 mgs and up is when it acts as a mood stabilizer. At 50 mgs my depression went away instantly, but my mania was at full force. At 100 to 150 I had rage and depression. Flipping between them. At 200mgs I had depression without mania and at 250 I had drowsyness with anxiety. At 300mgs though I feel almost blank. It's very strange, almost like I feel nothing. I can still laugh,have emotions, but it's like my head is quiet. Like I stepped from a loud room to a completely silent one. It's a bit unnerving to say the least. I'm unsure if this is what normal is? I also feel drowsy, my vision is blurry and my coordination is a bit impaired. Nothing to serious. I also think my hair is falling out but I'm unsure if that's been related to the med or the stress of titrating up. I've read it takes a few months though to get the full effect with less side effects. If anyone knows if that's true let me know. Thanks

Mcgregger44
03-04-14, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. It kind of reminded me of a low dose ADD medication.