View Full Version : Parental Rights regarding choice of teacher

eds2014
02-27-14, 08:07 PM
At some point in the past I read that parents of a student with an IEP have the right to attend the meeting where the school chooses the teacher for the following year. Is this correct? If so where can I find information regarding this?

zette93
02-28-14, 10:48 AM
I have never heard of such a right. Your right is to attend any meeting where a "change of placement" (ie from general ed to a special day class) is discussed. Choosing which specific general ed teacher he gets would not be the same thing.

However, you could talk informally to his current teacher and to the principal, about what teaching style or personality style would best suit him. Be careful to not request a particular teacher by name. At DS's old school, parents could put in a written description with such a request, but the policy was to throw out any request that had a specific teacher name on it.

Tmoney
02-28-14, 12:44 PM
I don't know but I can attest that for me when I was a kid and for my sons, the quality of the teacher was the difference between say a dream and a nightmare!

I still remember those teachers til this day. They were awesome!

CrazyLazyGal
02-28-14, 02:21 PM
I don't know but I can attest that for me when I was a kid and for my sons, the quality of the teacher was the difference between say a dream and a nightmare!

I still remember those teachers til this day. They were awesome!And I still hate my awful first grade teacher!

Even if you don't have the legal right, I would request it very early and be adamant about it. Do it EARLY. Don't wait until April or May. If there's a bad teacher in the next grade, many parents will probably put in requests. Since your son has an IEP, the school may be more willing to accommodate him, but not if they've already accommodated several other children.