View Full Version : Do I have bipoiar II?

Mcgregger44
03-04-14, 02:23 PM
Most recently, my psychiatrist suggested, and is now medicating me on the notion that I have Bipolar II. I would never have considered myself in a million years to have bipolar, so I’m just curious if I sound like I have it.

In the past I have always said I feel like I have bipolar except I don’t have manic episodes. I go from normal, or what I call normal, to episodes lasting from seconds to months of deep depression. I have had little blips lasting only a few seconds of unwarranted and unprovoked euphoria. Usually, as soon as I realize I am feeling happy for no reason, I question it and it goes away. I have had panic attacks and anxiety my whole life as well. Most recently I get these moods where I’m furious, almost violently furious, for no reason and feel like I can snap on beloved family members and friends. Sometimes when I get a call or text to go out with friends, I get super excited and over the top borderline anxious, in a good way, and rush to go see them. Lastly, randomly I’ll get ideas that sound good at the time such as going down the shore (a few hours away) or moving across the country. The excitement of these ideas only last from a few moments to an hour tops.

On a side note, I have been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, panic attacks, and most recently bipolar II. I am curious if these are all unique, individual disorders or if I really only have bipolar II and the rest is a result of it.

I’d really appreciate some input because both I and my family are kind of rejecting the idea that I could have bipolar. Thank you.

Fuzzy12
03-04-14, 02:53 PM
Um..again..I can relate hugely to the description of your symptoms. :eek:

I've been diagnosed with bipolar II as well though the psychiatrist who diagnosed me with ADHD thought that rather than being bipolar, I just had extreme problems with emotional regulation. The difference, as he explained, is that in bipolar your extreme states of emotion (i.e. depression or mania/hypomania) don't really have to be caused by or related to some sort of trigger whereas in ADHD your emotions are not irrational but just disproportionate in their extent or expression.

I took lamotrigine for a while (along with an anti depressant). It did sort of stabilise my moods but at the depressed end. Rather than having mood swings, I was just constantly depressed. It differs from person to person though. I've read very good reviews about lamotrigine, especially for BP II and it's been effective in some cases of treatment resistant unipolar depression as well.

Which mood stabiliser have you been prescribed?

Mcgregger44
03-04-14, 04:52 PM
Lamictal? it's not bad, definitely helped my lows

fracturedstory
03-04-14, 05:59 PM
That's a tough one. People with bipolar can still have triggers and poor sleep often can switch them into another mood cycle, but then they can cycle into another mood without the triggers too.

I doubted I had bipolar then I was manic for 12 days. That doesn't often happen, I'm more like a few hours to a few days. But it made me see that this wasn't just ADHD or some other reason besides bipolar.

Mania doesn't always have to be euphoric and can be in the form of rages, and that's usually with a lot of anxiety.

It sounds like you have a less than common version of bipolar. Me, I'm rapid cycling with pretty much every symptom except for diminished need for sleep. I stay up one night when manic but then my symptoms are so hard to control the next day I just want to get a good night's sleep to get some sort of control back.

If the meds work then that's good and an indicator that you have bipolar.

I went a few years with mania before I even noticed that my behaviour was that extreme. I had these huge delusions of grandeur and the disillusionment was really emotionally painful for me. Not to mentioned all the friendships I severed because of my extreme agitated states. Still happens but I can at least pick up on it quicker and make sure I stop before I really dig myself deep.

Mcgregger44
03-04-14, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. And no offense to you man but after hearing about how troubling and damaging the disorder had affected your life, it kind of made me realize, maybe my life wasn't too effed after all. I hope you're doing better though, for real man

Daydreamin22
03-04-14, 07:56 PM
We are in the same ride. I know how you feel. I take adderall with Bipolar meds. Don't know what it is that is called a blipp. I downloaded an app names that yesterday. it must have been described as Bipolar ii.

I'm reading the Hypomanic Edge. The guy is succesful. I don't understand why his web page and book are colored like road Signs. But it sounds like it will meaningful to be biased, ok epic.

It sounds like things are escalating, you should look up a psychologist and he might treat you doth at you don't have trouble falling asleep. Apparently Bupolars need sleeping med /part of med as a rule. Word on the stree.

I used to get soo giddy when I was little.

I would have never considered myself Bipolar!

Bipolar II is depression with bouts of Hypomania. Apparently people with Bipolar ii are depressed 50% of an punt of time. I'm confused but am guessing the brain is regular? I'm not sure. I have anxiety disorder as well. Adderall helps with my depression. It's done carefully. I also am diagnosed inattemtive ADHD which causes situational depression.

I'm not positive, but think it goes into major depression, which in normal tempo brains needs to be greeted aggressively. Bor it will turn into major depression lasting a few years. It is also possible to feel situational depression on top of the major depression.

greystealth
03-05-14, 12:27 AM
It's funny, I've always thought that bipolar people had EXTREME mood swings and were the crazy people yelling random stuff on the street.

Until I later realized, and was diagnosed with comorbid Bipolar 2 Rapid Cycling, on top of ADHD. To add to that, it took a combination of two mood stabilizers (Depakote & Seroquel) to get me stabilized enough to continue using 20mg of Dexedrine daily.

I happen to be a data analyst with a graduate degree, and need to have both ADHD and Bipolar symptoms under control to not be "that guy" who get's elated/snappy at the most random times (e.g. when a computer freezes)

Daydreamin22
03-09-14, 02:27 AM
It's funny, I've always thought that bipolar people had EXTREME mood swings and were the crazy people yelling random stuff on the street.

Until I later realized, and was diagnosed with comorbid Bipolar 2 Rapid Cycling, on top of ADHD. To add to that, it took a combination of two mood stabilizers (Depakote & Seroquel) to get me stabilized enough to continue using 20mg of Dexedrine daily.

I happen to be a data analyst with a graduate degree, and need to have both ADHD and Bipolar symptoms under control to not be "that guy" who get's elated/snappy at the most random times (e.g. when a computer freezes)

(Edit: Im sorry, I'm confused about my posting right above this, I thought I was starting new with this thread, but I answered the post above. Hope that makes sense.)

Hey, I'm exactly the same diagnosis and meds wise. I know about the irritability. I think my dr.s controlling that but I still am unsocial more intensely focused. Hypomania in me is pretty constant when I'm on stimulant. Knowledge has helped me at least figure out what is uncomfortable in convos. There's a book called the hypomanic edge that I want to read. The author also has a blog on psychologytoday.com. Most of the time you couldn't get any better than the experts on their.

I'm not sure about the meds. My dr. gets mad if I start to tell him about side effects. Not exaggerating he has a little problem with being powerful apparently. It's weird because he sits in this huge chair and on the other side of his desk is this puny yellow chair that we have to sit in. Haha, gosh I know adderall makes me down to business and up in my room working. Hope that helps.

InvitroCanibal
03-23-14, 01:26 AM
Sounds like adhd and adhd is just a symptom of bp 2.

Bp1 will be renamed cade's disease. Adhd is being moved out of the autistic spectrums and into bp disorder. Add pi is most likely to be placed in the autistic spectrum. I believe one day the add/adhd diagnosis will poof, vanish. Not to say these disorders and symptoms don't exist but the idea that adhd/add is ONLY a learning disorder is a flat out myth. We all know the symptoms and qualities overlap bipolar identically when adhd is pervasive enough.

Add-pi overlaps depression or depression overlaps add-pi. Ever heard of treatment resistant depression? It can only be treated via welbutrin or vyvanse. Sounds like add pi.

Once more you then get personality disorders that over lap psychiatric disorders. Learning disabilities such as dyslexia that make one more prone to be bipolar and adhd.

It keeps going.

The point is, some where along the line we have to just stop and say, it's all connected. All these disorders connect in one way or another. Adhd can look like bipolar..bipolar can look like schizophrenia, schizophrenia can look like schizoid and so on. The difference to me is just extremes. If you are "extremely"adhd...you are probably bp2.

Thank you

sarahsweets
03-23-14, 06:52 AM
I agree that BPI and II , and adhd and other mental health disorders are all connected but I am not sure if I agree that they are one and the same. I was diagnosed with adhd in elementary school and didnt get diagnosed with BPII until high school. I firmly believe that I have both and while they overlap, they are completely separate disorders. I didnt begin treatment for the BPII until I was 21 and Didnt get treated for adhd until I was 29. I know that if I hadnt gotten the BPII under control that any adhd treatment would have been useless. I think the mistake can be that people think the two are so closely related that one treatment fixes both, sort of like buy one get one free. They are distinct enough to need really solid separate treatments that end up working in sync with each other. Without BPII meds I would not be able to tolerate stimulants.

Bp1 will be renamed cade's disease. Adhd is being moved out of the autistic spectrums and into bp disorder. Add pi is most likely to be placed in the autistic spectrum. I believe one day the add/adhd diagnosis will poof, vanish. Not to say these disorders and symptoms don't exist but the idea that adhd/add is ONLY a learning disorder is a flat out myth. We all know the symptoms and qualities overlap bipolar identically when adhd is pervasive enough.

Add-pi overlaps depression or depression overlaps add-pi. Ever heard of treatment resistant depression? It can only be treated via welbutrin or vyvanse. Sounds like add pi.

Once more you then get personality disorders that over lap psychiatric disorders. Learning disabilities such as dyslexia that make one more prone to be bipolar and adhd.

It keeps going.

The point is, some where along the line we have to just stop and say, it's all connected. All these disorders connect in one way or another. Adhd can look like bipolar..bipolar can look like schizophrenia, schizophrenia can look like schizoid and so on. The difference to me is just extremes. If you are "extremely"adhd...you are probably bp2.

Thank you

daveddd
03-23-14, 02:11 PM

It keeps going.

Thank you

this says it well

this is how thomas brown (yale adhd researcher) explains it as well

because things require different treatment does not make them completely separate

its highly unlikely anyone has 2 or more mental disorders that have no relationship whatsoever

emotional regulation issues in adhd plus extreme life stresses can predispose to BP, BPD, 1,2,3,

InvitroCanibal
03-25-14, 04:51 PM
I agree that BPI and II , and adhd and other mental health disorders are all connected but I am not sure if I agree that they are one and the same. I was diagnosed with adhd in elementary school and didnt get diagnosed with BPII until high school. I firmly believe that I have both and while they overlap, they are completely separate disorders. I didnt begin treatment for the BPII until I was 21 and Didnt get treated for adhd until I was 29. I know that if I hadnt gotten the BPII under control that any adhd treatment would have been useless. I think the mistake can be that people think the two are so closely related that one treatment fixes both, sort of like buy one get one free. They are distinct enough to need really solid separate treatments that end up working in sync with each other. Without BPII meds I would not be able to tolerate stimulants.

Sometimes bipolar people respond well to stimulants with mood stabilizers. I don't think there ever will be a one size fits all but most of what I've read is that the attentional issues of adhd are very frequent among bipolars. Somewhere around 60 to 80 percent of bipolars have co occuring adhd.

I think though that you are right in the sense that people get too caught up in the diagnosis that they fail to treat or recognize the symptoms. Often the attention issues a bipolar person experiences are overlooked if they were first diagnosed with bipolar. Or in the adhd person, the mood problems are over looked because adhd was the first diagnosis. I experienced that one my whole life. "You're not depressed you are just adhd."

My general point was that most these disorders almost seem to be on the same spectrum and its just how far down the spectrum you are. So that if you have bp2, you probably have depression, adhd and other things less extreme that are in relation to bp 2 and behind it on this spectrum.

In a way im arguing against this notion of one diagnosis one treatment. I believe what matters most is recognizing the symptoms. Not boxing people into categories and then denying that their symptoms exist because it does not fit their category.

I believe the most extreme and pervasive symptoms must be treated first. You can't tell if depression is causing attention issues until the depression is treated, etc.