View Full Version : Strattera, side effects & anxiety

Rockafella83
03-08-14, 01:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I just want to share my story if it could help some people dealing with Strattera and still having anxiety due to the side effect of strattera. For me, the bad side effects of it (Mainly heart palpitations, high blood pressure) were really difficult to handle and using SSRI with it didn't help because of the serotoninergic effect and because they were both metabolized by the same cytochroms (cy2d6) which is, to what I found, two seperate things even if it is reflected by the same sides effects.

First of all, you guys might wanna know that Anxiety and ADHD are highly corralated. Also that medication is not the only solution, in a part of the solution but in fact, help for less than 50% to a life oriented way of dealing with ADHD.

These are some of my conclusion, from my point of view that worked for me so take what you think go right for you;

1. The one that is said by every doctor, split in two 2 equals dose that you take.

2. If it don't affect your sleep, take it a night. For me, the positive effect on ADHD during the day wasn't enough so I splitted dose in two at night and morning.

3. Be aware of using coffee and sugar stuff during the day .. Not helping at all...

4. Do exercise, not too intense (Like interval running ..) Suggestions are natation, bicycle or running at lower state or by taking pause doing it.

5. Mindfulness help me a lot, suggest it to every one.

6. Therapy for dealing with anxiety and coaching sessions, will certainly help also, about dealing with time, how to take notes, how to take pause to work more efficiently without being too tired. How to deal with the simple fact when things are changing in your life. How your emotionnal state could affect your ADHD..

7. Optimizing your sleep. (Part of a coaching therapy but a point on itself)

8. Medication:

-If Strattera give you too much side effects on anxiety like I felt it, try to understand first if you're a poor metabolizer of CY2D6, which could be resolve in part by lowering dosage.

-If you can't use/stand anything else thant Strattera and mixing it with SSRI like me didn't work, try using Clonidine to lower blood pressure. It does affect tiredness so be aware.

Also, you might wanna try to use 5-HTP instead of SSRI. Works really well for me. No bad side effects of SSRI, no metabolisation problem with CY2D6 but still a serotoninergic effect so be aware of that too and if you can tolerate it. Work great on anxiety.

-If you mix both stimulant and Strattera, be aware that Stimulant will boost noepinephrine so might wanna lower strattera and trying long release like concerta to lower peak effects.

-Don't be afraid of methilphenidate or stimulant solution. At lower dosage and controled with Clonidine, it could also be a solution whatever doctors say depends on your anxiety severity.

-Take at least two weeks, to test changes (And I don't mean by this the time for the medication to take is full effect) but my way is if you really can't stand it after a week, **** it.

-If you just went to a conclusion that Strattera is not for you, there could be other solutions that will help, like duloxetine, or tricyclic antidepressor.

9. Be patient and make sure your Doctor is too because it can take a long time if it is hard for you to find the right mix.

Hope it help someone to get a solution as fast a possible, for what it mean in your own contextual situation.

GeordieDave
03-08-14, 03:37 PM
Hi thanks for your post. I've always had anxiety issues and it's something that I'm trying my best to control. I'm on strattera now (100mg) I always have eating problems due to anxiety. Over the few months I've lost over a stone of weight. But even before I started this medication I've always had anxiety issues and it's driving me nuts.

P.s what do you mean by mindfulness?

Thanks

Rockafella83
03-11-14, 09:33 AM
Hi, Mindfulness is for Buddist, a way of living in a certain path .. But we could simplify this by saying it's a meditation techniques to focus on what you feel in the present moment and how not to judge, good or bad feeling.

Psychiatry got interested about it and some took it back to propose techniques for anxious people. The audio tape that I got is from a well know french psychiatrist who is specialized is anxious-depressif deasease and who also made a few books.

I heard that there is techniques especially for ADHD about Mindfulness like this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/Mindfulness-Prescription-Adult-ADHD-Strengthening/dp/1590308476

GeordieDave
03-11-14, 01:41 PM
Hi, Mindfulness is for Buddist, a way of living in a certain path .. But we could simplify this by saying it's a meditation techniques to focus on what you feel in the present moment and how not to judge, good or bad feeling.

Psychiatry got interested about it and some took it back to propose techniques for anxious people. The audio tape that I got is from a well know french psychiatrist who is specialized is anxious-depressif deasease and who also made a few books.

I heard that there is techniques especially for ADHD about Mindfulness like this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/Mindfulness-Prescription-Adult-ADHD-Strengthening/dp/1590308476

This is great, thank you.

I've been reading up on it, it's something worth giving a proper go.

I have tried meditation before bed etc... I never really understood exactly how to do it. I was overthinking about what to do or think about when I'm sititng there. Everytime I had a thought I tried forgetting it etc.. tried thinking of positive things...

So now if I understand properly.. I don't need to conciously think of anything? I just need to sit up in a comfortable position and make myself aware of my thoughts and just let them come and go?

Thanks.

ADHDAnxiety
03-12-14, 05:06 PM
I am now on 100mg daily (take it in the morning). I have noticed some minor sleep disturbances, but this medication actually seemed to have a net positive effect general mood improvement for me. I still experience anxiety issues, particularly Social Anxiety, but I find that the "dwelling" on the anxiety is less since starting this medication. It's helping with focus, but not motivation.

My psychiatrist recently increased the dosage to 100 from 80 to see if it helps some more. Have many people had an increase in anxiety on this medication?

Rockafella83
03-13-14, 08:06 PM
It was my case .. Also a big hit on Anxiety/Social Anxiety. I got side effects real bad from it, got me tired, I got heart palpitations, high blood pressure that just crank my anxiety with this physical effect that trigger the mind. It's hard to explain but it just kind of get me moody, hyper sensitive in a kind of way ...

I'll probably change to Duloxetine and Ritalin with Clonidine. I don't feel too much anxiety with Ritalin when I use Clonidine with it. But Concerta just don't kick in enough to get me focus and on the spot. I felt that Ritalin actually calm me down and there isn't that much side effect like hand shaking with Clonidine.

I just run out of option for me with Strattera. About 30% can't stand it for various reasons and 5% of it, like me, cause way to much side effects. I should have done this a long time ago but trying different ajustement/complement with other medications can take long time ...