View Full Version : Adderall and hormone changes

lavita_bella
03-08-14, 11:31 PM
So I've been on 20mg Adderall XR for about 6 months now, and I've noticed for the past few months my cycle has been pretty irregular. Maybe I'm better at keeping track of the date now and I'm just now noticing it, or maybe it's the Adderall, I'm not sure. Has anyone here ever noticed while on Adderall that their cycles became irregular or noticed anything different?

stanses
03-10-14, 09:06 PM
I've been wondering this for the longest and am almost certain that it simply has to affect hormone levels. I'm a guy though so different situation. I don't honestly don't see anyway it possibly could NOT affect hormone levels. It stimulates the adrenal gland.

acdc01
03-12-14, 09:19 AM
People post about how they become less interested or more interested in sex all the time.

That's not exactly the same as you but I would think has to be a hormonal thing too. Ask your dr and/or pharmacist - maybe they'd know.

teachergal
03-12-14, 04:38 PM
Well, I will say that I am on birth control, so it always has a schedule to follow, but when I get off birth control it is pretty sparatic. Also, I can say with CONFIDENCE that your hormones mess up how well the adderall is working. Every month without fail in the middle of my cycle, I will have one or two days were I am in a complete mental fog. Its the worst. This is normal though.

zilphy
03-14-14, 01:44 PM
I've been on Adderall IR for 14 months with no noticeable changes to the frequency/duration of my cycle. I agree with teachergal hormones do impact how effective the meds are.

For me... while on Adderall
lower estrogen levels = less focus (focus starts slipping a few days following ovulation) Sometimes I slightly bump up my dose (taking an additional 2.5 to 5 mg).

higher estrogen levels = more focused, higher sex drive (increasing focus/drive up to 1 day following ovulation).

I tracked my meds & moods for several months in order to figure this out.

lavita_bella
04-23-14, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys! I've been on birth control for a little over a month now and it's actually seemed to even out my hormones/cycle a bit. I also noticed the difference in effectiveness with hormones and my medication-- I take about 2-5mg more Adderall when I have PMS, lol. Otherwise I def get that "mental fog" teachergal was talking about.

kwalk
04-29-14, 02:23 AM
My cycle has always been irregular it ****** me off. You can get an app for you to keep track, but I'm too add to keep track.

kwalk
04-29-14, 02:25 AM
This kinda encourages me to get back on birth control