View Full Version : Need to clear my head up

Xinger
03-09-14, 07:42 PM
I mentioned in my intro thread that I like to rap; that's the main reason I try so much to figure out this problem. I don't wanna get into the fundamentals of how freestyling and all that works because it's not what this is about, but you can probably guess that improvising is a big part of it. When it comes to just talking off the top of my head, that's one of the things I've always been really good at, but as I get older it's like I'm losing that skill. I remember in like, 7th grade I had this history project where I had to give a presentation in addition to everything else. I hadn't given what I was gonna say any thought during the days leading up to my turn, and while I was in the car during the ride to school that day I thought something up, at least roughly, and killed the presentation. I remember getting props left and right.

Now, I had an idea of what I was gonna say, but the way I was able to put it into words, I thought was great. Lately though, it's been getting harder and harder to keep a straight thought. Like when I'm talking to people I tend to pause and maybe stutter a bit more, take a bit longer to think, and just lose track of where I'm going; this has nothing to do with a lack of confidence. I had a presentation again this year (in 11th grade now) and even though I wouldn't say it was bad, I don't think it at the level of that 7th grade one. Now it's like that skill just comes and goes, and I might not be able to bring it out when I need it; that's kind of oversimplified, but I hope you get the point.

You can see how this plays into rap too. I mean it's hard enough to hold a conversation nowadays, just imagine me trying to improvise lyrics with a melody, and I think there's a problem because things like this were easier, say, 2 years ago, and earlier actually.

Mcgregger44
03-09-14, 09:52 PM
I don't have an answer but I have a common symptom. I'm constantly choking on my tongue as I drool out nonsense. I know social anxiety is a contributor for myself, but it could be a million things bro.

Xinger
03-09-14, 10:19 PM
That sucks, but it doesn't match. Social problems were a different story for me but not to an insane degree, and it wasn't a psychiatric problem. Thanks though.