View Full Version : Lundbeck Brand Desoxyn vs. Mylan Generic

PBandJelly
03-10-14, 12:37 AM
Hello guys, have anyone notice an difference between the brand name Desoxyn compared to the Mylan generic? Also are there any other generics out there on the market?

Netspionage
05-04-14, 06:22 PM
Hello guys, have anyone notice an difference between the brand name Desoxyn compared to the Mylan generic? Also are there any other generics out there on the market?

I can't honestly say, though odds are I'll have an answer for that in less than a month. For further info, check my thread about having issues filling my prescription.

AFAIK, Mylan is the only generic manufacturer.

HTH,

~J

Netspionage
05-08-14, 11:13 AM

A quick update: I just got a prescription filled for the Mylan generic -- and yes, it appears Mylan is the only source for the generic -- and my initial take on it is that takes longer to take effect (this is entirely subjective, and YMMV). E.g., having been on a VERY extended drug-holiday as I was unable to get my prescription filled anywhere, I started off just taking one 5mg tablet early today; I'm used to feeling the effects within 10-15 minutes, so after about an hour, I took a second 5mg tablet (n.b.: 10mg is less than what I'm prescribed daily, overall). Now I'm able to focus, but it feels a bit...Off. I don't know -- hard to describe. Definitely seems weaker.

While not wedded to name brand merely because it IS name brand, because the physical and chemical compounding of the pills themselves are the biggest defining factor in how well the medication is absorbed, I've found generics to usually be a waste of money: even if they really have 100% of the active principal per tablet/capsule, the proper bio-availability of it may be any fraction from 0% to 100% of the name brand's formulation, and this is something not policed by the FDA as much as it ought to be, in my opinion. ER pills are the worst in this regard versus IR, though, as the formulations for proper ER are the REALLY valuable IP held by the respective pharmaceutical firms (e.g., look up the patent for the Smith Kline (French or Beechum...?) spansule, which Dexedrine comes in: they poured millions of dollars MORE into the mechanism of release of the drug than they did the drug itself). Now, compare that to (say) Barr's generic spansules -- there is no *way* you can convince me they work as well (I've taken both, and can say they don't), as the pharmacological chemistry and methodology behind the medication's release wasn't released to competitors, while rights to manufacture the drug itself, of course, were.

Just my $0.02. Hope you find it useful.

~J

Netspionage
06-11-14, 12:47 PM
Ok, can definitely say I've been taking the generic for a while now, and it is, without a doubt, definitely weaker than the name-brand -- something like half-strength, perhaps, so, if 5-15mg per diem is good for you, then 10-30mg of the cut-rate generic ought to suffice (lest it needs be said, I'm not a doctor, this isn't medical advice, merely one person's opinion).

As I posted in another thread (http://addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161020), due to it being so highly controlled, despite my doctor being understanding about it & having had not only myself but other patients complain about generics being near-worthless, it's not like they can double the dose w/o issue, which means I'll have to supplement it with other psychostimulants, which I find irritating, as the idea was to get off all the others (e.g., Adderall & Dexedrine), though as I've already spoken with her, it would appear that going w/the Dexedrine spansules (ER) is the ticket, as I'm much prefer that than the IR Adderall (I really don't like it, and it's the med of last resort, at least for me; not to say I haven't taken my fair share of it, but IR & ER -- just the long-term negatives outweigh the positives, at least for me -- so back, at least partially, to other stimulants due to our delightful system which is so troublesome for me (with Health Insurance primary in that group).

HTH,

~J

baical
10-05-15, 03:45 AM
if the info. in this thread is still valid, I think I may have read on another thread from 2010 that Mylan is taking generic off the market. Even the brand Desoxyn isn't even listed on the Lundbeck website (the sole maker of Desoxyn, from what I understand). So is Desoxyn (brand or generic) available? Who makes them? I have a hard time finding Dexedrine Spansule as it is on back order from the manufacturer, I'd assume Desosyn is needle in the haystack or whatever. LOL.

Netspionage
10-15-15, 09:30 PM
if the info. in this thread is still valid, I think I may have read on another thread from 2010 that Mylan is taking generic off the market.

Sadly, that is correct. So, as of October, 2015:

-Name Brand Desoxyn is no longer available from anywhere in the US (if anyone knows otherwise, please correct me);
-Mylan discontinued manufacturing the generic;
-Metrics, Inc -- a manufacturer I'm unfamiliar with -- is, AFAIK, the only current manufacturer of generic Desoxyn.

Even the brand Desoxyn isn't even listed on the Lundbeck website (the sole maker of Desoxyn, from what I understand).TL;DR Summary: Desoxyn has been deliberately orphaned, and last I checked, Recordati pharmaceuticals (an Italian company -- no idea if they even have any distribution here whatsoever, and I contacted them some time back, and at present, *NO* distributor I've been able to contact (as in, those who distribute to the chain pharmacies) has any dealings with them at all, so...I'd say they don't do much if any business here. FYI, they specialize in picking up medications which have been orphaned by others.

So is Desoxyn (brand or generic) available?Barely.

Who makes them?Vide supra.

I have a hard time finding Dexedrine Spansule as it is on back order from the manufacturer, I'd assume Desosyn is needle in the haystack or whatever. LOL.Yeah, I've run into that issue now, as well: it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain ADD medication (not as if it was ever easy to begin with), and the prices are astronomical.

I do have a prescription of the 'Metrics Inc' generic. I haven't taken it yet, so cannot say how it compares. Hopefully it's not any worse than the Mylan generic (famous last words...).

HTH.

oreganosis222
01-29-16, 02:30 PM
According to drugs.com roxane started to produce a generic almost two months ago, but I don't know if they've started to distribute yet.