View Full Version : Wondering about Aspergers

FroGpants
03-10-14, 01:15 PM
I don't see any threads about aspergers other than Forum and Sticky ones but I'm wondering about ppl who have it. Especially those who were first diagnosed adhd and then realized there was more to what was going on with them.

I never even heard of it until a few years ago and I'm trying to learn more but I need real examples of stuff like Theory of Mind, black & white thinking. Stuff like that.

I found some stuff on another forum but it's hard for me to use another forum that has a completely different format and there isn't the depth of info & knowledge like there is here.

Anyway, I guess I was just hoping to stay here but I can't if nobody else here is discussing it ;)

Stevuke79
03-10-14, 02:44 PM
I think I have aspie tendencies, and when I discuss some symptoms with my pdoc he'll relate some of them to Aspergers, but when I asked straight out if I had it he said I'm on the spectrum but definitely ADHD, not Aspergers. Though I do get the sense that other pdocs would diagnose me with Aspergers, it's irrelevant because I think my pdoc understands my symptoms very very well and does a great job treating them.

Anywho, I would also like to see more aspergers discussed on here. So what kinds of things do you wish you saw on here re: aspergers?

Forgive me if I'm out of left field. I found this thread interesting.

FroGpants
03-11-14, 03:02 PM
Wow, thanks for the response! I don't know why I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I read this!

Well, I was on here the other day and someone had posted about learning styles and I got to looking them up... didn't know anyone had thoughts in their heads that weren't purely visual... that's all I have. So I googled it and found a lot of sites talking about aspergers. The more I read the more I saw myself. It really explains how I've always been.

I guess it's kind of a scary, wtheck is this anyway?? kind of thing. I mean it's awesome if it explains why I've always been the way I have but it's a lot to absorb.

So I clicked on the link here but nobody is talking about it, ppl are discussing all the other topics but nothing about this and I was curious why. Maybe they use another forum. But for some reason I have it stuck in my head that add/adhd are somehow related so it didn't make sense that it's not an issue here.

Anyway, you're definitely not out of left field. I wasn't sure where to start with this so anything is great! I guess I just want/need to figure out wtheck?? I mean it was one thing to acknowledge that I have adhd but now this?

So what has your experience been? Like have you always known this about yourself? Do you mind discussing your traits?

Fortune
03-11-14, 05:23 PM
Since this forum focuses on ADHD most possible comorbids tend to have more sporadic discussion - bipolar being a notable exception, I think.

It is an issue here, and there have been times when this subforum was more active. There are quite a few autistic members (including myself) but I think at least some of us use a different forum for autism discussion.

fracturedstory
03-11-14, 05:54 PM
I'll talk about my story/symptoms soon. Be in mind that I can be very strict on the criteria and at times very loose about it.

Just not now. I have things to do.

Stevuke79
03-11-14, 06:20 PM
Just FYI, my official diagnosis is ADHD. When I discuss certain symptoms my doctor brings up things like Aspergers, OCD, and Tourette's. i just dont want to feel like a liar. So, do you have Aspergers officially?

I know how you feel and I can totally relate to just wanting to talk about this "thing" that finally gives you an understanding of who you've been your whole life. I sometimes talk to close friends about it but I'm more just "telling" them about it and I also would like to have more of an exchange about it. I wonder if you feel more or less how I do regarding the following; I feel that before I understood ADHD, my understanding of myself was forced upon me by other people and it was always contrary to how I would intuitively describe myself. Does that make any sense?

At 9 or 10 they said I had ADD so I was very smart but less emotionally and interpersonally inclined. You think you do feel empathy? Nope, you're wrong. Or I was a broken clock right twice a day kind of thing. I got bad grades because I'm lazy, careless or maybe unchallenged. Then I went on Ritalin and I stayed up long hours and even woke up sometimes at 5am at to finish my work 10 yrs old); my grades improved. Cured!! Took me off meds and grades fell; I must be goofing off. It was like :
This is who you are. This is what you are like. This is your personality. Your skills. This is what's going on in your head.

Oh, what's that? You don't agree? Ah, well in my description of you I mention that you lack self-awareness. So it figures you wouldn't know these things.

And arguing is exhausting and it's just easier to get along and agree. Insensitive, careless, selfish, lazy, obnoxious,... Etc etc. Fine, I accept.

And now I'm told that I am emotional. In fact when I seem cold and distant it's 100 feelings coming at me at once and I can't decide which to focus on. I just feel that what your saying is urgent, but you just said 10 things to me, which one was urgent? I address them 1 by 1.. And then I get to the 3rd one, ..oh yeah, you actually had said that one was urgent so it seems really weird that I addressed the first two. And you don't even think you actually mentioned the first 2; they were just background for #3. So my reaction seems really weird. :( Give me 2 minutes and I can sort through it and respond like a normal human being, but in conversation 2 minutes is too long a pause, and I can't do it in 20 seconds like everyone else. I love email for that reason. In conversation, particularly for work I try to have rules like I don't make concrete statements or decide upon thins I haven't contemplated before the conversation.. but those rules are hard to stick to and when I venture beyond them, I usually end up looking back and beating the craap out of myself for sounding so dumb. On the one hand I can be oblivious, on the other hand my instincts are second to none because I hear and take in everything around me. The result is that in the moment, my reactions are distant and awkward, but a few hours later my impressions are informed by every little nuance.

Anyway, before I go on and on with something out of left field, does this sound relatable or like what you're shooting for in this thread?

About visual thinking, I'm mostly a visual thinker but I also like to play out dialogues or interactions in my head.

Phew! And I can yammer on pretty well too :)

Fortune
03-11-14, 06:28 PM
Just FYI, my official diagnosis is ADHD. When I discuss certain symptoms my doctor brings up things like Aspergers, OCD, and Tourette's. i just dont want to feel like a liar. So, do you have Aspergers officially?

To whom was this question directed?

Stevuke79
03-11-14, 06:33 PM
Oh, oops, sorry. When I posted it, FroGpants was the only other poster.

Fortune
03-11-14, 06:53 PM
Cool, wasn't sure whether to answer or not. :)

Stevuke79
03-11-14, 07:06 PM
Actually, now that you mention it. ... :)
You're official, right?

Fortune
03-11-14, 07:12 PM
I've been diagnosed with it twice so far, by two different professionals. Also with ADHD. Someone else diagnosed my PTSD and major depression.

fracturedstory
03-11-14, 09:39 PM
I've been diagnosed three times. Twice by the same doctor. I don't see him much anymore.

FroGpants
03-11-14, 10:06 PM
I wonder if you feel more or less how I do regarding the following; I feel that before I understood ADHD, my understanding of myself was forced upon me by other people and it was always contrary to how I would intuitively describe myself. Does that make any sense?

Ok yea that makes sense but I think it's a whole different ballgame for me. Nobody ever noticed anything about me. I mean back when I was in school (70s-80s) I don't know if they were looking for this kind of thing (add/adhd or autism spectrum) but nobody ever said anything. I guess everyone just expected me to be a normal kid. And when I didn't behave like a normal kid I just got in trouble or yelled at or told I was wrong or bad. It wasn't all the time, I worked hard to do the right thing.

I get it about the emotions and taking awhile to process. I have to sit back and work thru everything. Lots and lots of self-talk. My main problem is that I think that everyone thinks like me so I act accordingly. But that leads me into black & white thinking. I'm not sure but I don't think I do gray areas?? Like when my bf and I have big fights (this is how it was before I realized all this) I used to think that it just wasn't going to work. And I knew it was finally the end. But I couldn't reconcile the great relationship we had to my thinking that way. I'm not sure that makes sense.

Or even like now, I guess I'm thinking about this too much and starting to think it's all ridiculous and I'm just being a goofball and I need to get on with my life.

Anyway I've moved into ~I'm an idiot for even thinking all this~ so I'll just leave this as-is.

Corina86
03-12-14, 09:43 AM
You're not an idiot for thinking about this. Judging by what you wrote here, you don't have the symptoms for autism.

Keep in mind that ADHD is a condition that affects relationships as well, not just school or work.

daveddd
03-13-14, 12:51 PM
i have autistic like traits as a result of ptsd (ptsd very much can look like aspergers)

it seems to be a common thing in adhd

the interaction of adhd and our environments can leave a trail of traumatic experiences

mine are mostly social

FroGpants
03-20-14, 12:44 PM
i have autistic like traits as a result of ptsd (ptsd very much can look like aspergers)

Interesting. I know ptsd and adhd look a lot alike, I took a hard look at both when I was dx'd adhd. But I would have never thought ptsd could look like aspergers.

daveddd
03-20-14, 01:35 PM
The emotional aspects of it can look identical with a few small differences

Especially if it happens early

You can end up with an avoidant or schizoid personality style that overlaps and is found in aspergers a lot