View Full Version : Can you get shingles from someone just vaccinated?

Laserbeak
03-10-14, 05:35 PM
My mother lives with me and was vaccinated for shingles like less than a week ago. Today I broke out in a rash over just a few hours and went to the doctor and she said it was probably early stage shingles, which is unusual for someone my age (40). She wrote a few prescriptions and said since I got treated so quickly it shouldn't cause severe pain like shingles can in some people, but I have trouble believing in coincidences... how likely would it be that my roommate mother got vaccinated for it like a week ago and now I show up with it?

Lunacie
03-10-14, 05:52 PM
If your mother did not develop a rash, then you did not catch the virus from her.

Direct contact with the fluid in the blisters is the only way to spread the virus.

And even then, it would only cause chicken pox, not shingles.

Shingles is caused by the varicella zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox. After a person recovers from chickenpox, the virus stays in the body in a dormant (inactive) state. For reasons that are not fully known, the virus can reactivate years later, causing shingles. Herpes zoster is not caused by the same virus that causes genital herpes, a sexually transmitted disease.

from: the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/overview.html)

Laserbeak
03-10-14, 06:33 PM
OK, well that's what everyone says and I've already had chicken pox. Still seems strange.

Lunacie
03-10-14, 06:53 PM
Yeah, it is an odd coincidence.

Laserbeak
03-11-14, 04:22 AM
The rash has stopped growing and doesn't hurt anymore, so the antiviral medication and steroid cream are working well. I was afraid I'd have to go to a late night clinic or hospital for narcotic painkillers if it got bad, but thankfully it didn't.

Lunacie
03-11-14, 10:44 AM
I'm so glad the meds are working for you. :D

Shingles travel along the nerves, and neuropathy is about the worst pain in the world.

I'm just recovering from a bout of trigeminal neuropathy myself.

Laserbeak
03-11-14, 12:29 PM
Thanks Lunacle.

Just for informational purposes, here is a picture of my arm:

http://imageshack.com/a/img208/3439/o83o.jpg

It's scary that that happened in just a few hours!

Lunacie
03-11-14, 12:36 PM
Ouch! I can only imagine how painful as it looks a lot like the rash from poison ivy.

I haven't had experience with shingles, but I have had poison ivy.

Laserbeak
03-11-14, 03:54 PM
Ouch! I can only imagine how painful as it looks a lot like the rash from poison ivy.

I haven't had experience with shingles, but I have had poison ivy.

I was thinking the same thing -- that it looked like poison ivy. But fortunately there's none growing in my apartment so it couldn't have been that. :)

Laserbeak
03-15-14, 01:36 PM
An update, the rash is almost gone. I don't feel anything and the skin is soft and smooth. There still is a little discoloration, but it's going away quickly.

If this truly was shingles, I was lucky to have found it and gotten rid of it so fast, that means it will be highly unlikely that I'll ever get it again.

MrsNewton
12-07-14, 02:34 AM
The only thing you can catch from someone with shingles is chicken pox.

Laserbeak
12-07-14, 10:48 PM
The only thing you can catch from someone with shingles is chicken pox.

I had already had chicken pox. I guess it was just a a freaky coincidence. Anyway my arm is fine now:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/538/MIxY2g.jpg

MrsNewton
12-07-14, 11:01 PM
:-) I'm glad. I was browsing and didn't realize how old this thread was, lol.

Laserbeak
12-08-14, 12:42 AM
LOL, I think I may have taken a picture of the wrong arm, I'm not even sure. Anyway, they look the same now.