View Full Version : Long Term Strattera-Thinking About Quiting


jam69
03-10-14, 06:33 PM
I'm a 53 year old guy who has been taking 100mg Strattera for about 6 years. Looking back, it has had a tremendously positive effect on my life. The biggest effect has been professionally.

It's been years since I've posted. What drove me here today is that I am thinking about coming off Strattera. There are several reasons for this:

1. I am MUCH better organized and have systems in place to help manage my time.

2. I almost always make checklists of what I need to do.

3. I'm not even sure it is still having an effect. I've read where the effectiveness wears off over time.

4. Cost. My insurance has changed and I will be paying out of pocket up to my deductible. In all honesty, I was thinking about quitting well before the change in insurance, so cost isn't a huge factor.


Any long-term users here who are at the same stage?

silivrentoliel
03-10-14, 06:58 PM
I don't take Strattera, but I'd be worried that, in coming off it, you'd have a huge rebound of symptoms- not unlike someone quitting Adderall or the rebound when a stimulant wears off. Have you spoken with your doctor about quitting?

jam69
03-10-14, 07:21 PM
When I first started Strattera I was seeing a Psychiatrist. He is no longer practicing and for the past 3-4 years my GP has been prescribing but relying on me to report any issues. My guess is that he has no experience with it.

It may make sense to see a local specialist to bounce this off.

sarahsweets
03-11-14, 04:48 AM
IME its not wise to stop any medication for adhd just because it seems like you have enough behavior modifications in please to combat adhd. The return of adhd symptoms to a previously treated person can be an awful experience. If you do need to stop it you have to do that very slowly. It takes about 8 weeks for stratterra to begin to work effectively and stopping it suddenly will completely screw you up. You say you dont know if its working anymore and I ask, are you sure the positives in your life are as a result of just having better coping skills that you have managed to turn into habits? Or are these positives a result of the stratterra helping you focus and delegate within yourself making your life more successful overall? Unless there were extreme negative side effects of the medication, if it were me, I wouldnt mess with a good thing.

bobabuoy
03-11-14, 06:45 AM
i've gone off meds in the past because i thought i was OK without them, only to find my life crumble before me. Talk to you dr. if you are serious about it.

jam69
03-11-14, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. I looked back at some records and I've been taking it about 8 years.

When I started, I was a mess. Owned my own business in a field I didn't enjoy. Unfinished work everywhere. Luckily clients didn't realize how bad it was because nothing fell through the cracks.

Since then, I sold 80% of my business to concentrate on building the remaining 20% which is a different, but similar offering. That 20% has since grown beyond what I had years ago.

There is no question I couldn't have made the transition without meds. It's tough to differentiate between better coping skills and the meds. Sometimes I feel the meds hold me back on the marketing side. My thinking is that if I hired an assistant with strong organizational skills they could keep me on track.