View Full Version : Adderall to Strattera

anon45742
03-12-14, 11:43 PM
I'm 17 and I was diagnosed with ADD (Inattentive type) in the beginning of January this year.

For the first month my doctor had me on crazy doses of Adderall XR (taking up to 75mg total a day) because it wasn't helping. And since then my doctor had me taking Adderall IR 12.5mg 2-3 times a day as needed.

He has now switched me to Strattera because the Adderall has still done nothing. It is 40mg and after three days I go up to 80mg.

I'm wondering what I should expect from taking Strattera. I've heard it can take a couple weeks to work.

sarahsweets
03-13-14, 04:34 AM
It does take A few weeks to notice if it works or not. The only thing you have to pay close attention to is whether or not it makes you extremely depressed or if you have suicidal thoughts etc. It was originally marketed as an antidepressant so those things have to be watched.

golden_slumbers
03-20-14, 07:48 PM
I'm sort of in the same boat as you, except I started with Straterra. I am also 17 and was diagnosed earlier this year. Adderall has had no effect on my whatsoever.

The straterra does take a week or two to start taking effect. It can be incredibly frustrating waiting for it to kick in, but it will happen. It's not a dramatic effect and you may not notice it at first. About 2.5 weeks into taking it, I noticed I was able to sit down and work on homework for hours straight without any distraction, type a short and comprehensive essay in 15 minutes (as opposed to the 6 or 7 hours it usually takes me), as well as communicate my thoughts much more clearly. It even helped relieve some of my social anxiety. However, for me at least, it seems that it would work well some days and not the other.

It also made me ridiculously sleepy, to the point where my mother decided to just take me off it. Since my ADD symptoms are gradually getting worse now and the adderall isn't helping at all, I'm looking to go back on the straterra. Looking back, I realized that the month or two while I was on the stratterra I was more clear-headed and hard-working than I have ever been.

Hopefully this helps, and the strattera works out for you.

GeordieDave
03-21-14, 10:27 AM
I'm in the opposite as Golden :P

Diagnised around 2 years ago? (well a few months after I joined this forum) Started off on Ritalin, worked really well. I would love to go back on it.. However it made me sweat a lot, it got to the point where it was too much, quite embarrassing.

After that he switched me to Strattera started off on a low dose and gradually increased it to 100MG and it has not has a positive effect like Ritalin did. Infact imo it made me slightly depressed, unmotivated and snappy due to tiredness. I didn't feel like myself. However each medication does not have the same effect on everyone, so don't let me put you off. I hope it works for you.

The doc told me to carry on taking it until next week. No way. I feel a lot more happier and confident without taking that stuff. But due to this my ADHD has been giving me a hard time with me being impulsive, unable to focus etc.. You know what I mean :P

Next week I'm starting Adderral (or whatever it is called in the UK). Looking forward to it! Hoping it helps me get back on track!

Two89w
03-23-14, 03:19 AM
I have been on 80mg of straterra for about 3months now. It will take at least 4 weeks in my experience to really take effect. The positive effects are subtle but in my book worth it.

I have not taken any other add medications so I have nothing to compare to.