View Full Version : Caffeine is my nemesis!!!!

Beccat22
03-14-14, 05:42 AM
I have ADHD and anxiety and I take Zoloft and concerta. It's a good combination that works really well for me. If I have any caffeine.. like 1 diet coke.. I get so much anxiety like I think the world is ending. Does anyone else have this problem?

Infinityman
03-14-14, 08:01 AM
Caffeine makes me more hyper, less able to sleep. I am a diet coke fiend, so I have to limit myself to the mornings or to days when it is not important that I sleep that night.

I have essential tremors and have had them since I was a teenager, and the caffeine definitely makes that a lot worse.

Popped_an_addy
03-14-14, 01:15 PM
Yeah me too. I only drink green tea now. It makes me feel calm.

Corina86
03-14-14, 05:07 PM
Coffee always made me agitated and nervous, and it was really bad for my digestive system. Coke didn't make me feel that weird, but it hurt my bowels even more, since it also had sugar and acid.

I used to love green and black tea though and drank it in very large amounts for long periods of time. But now that I'm bupropion I can't stand those either. Green/black tea feels as bad as coffee and actual coffee makes me very very hyper. I can't even talk normally, because my jaws are extremely tense! The worst part is the blood pressure; meds have already increased it and caffeine is making it far worse. I had the lousy idea to drink some coffee today and my head started hurting, it felt like it was gonna explode, my ears felt like I was taking off inside a high-speed plane and my heart was racing like crazy. Not something I want to repeat any time soon.

dvdnvwls
03-14-14, 05:14 PM
Yes, this is common (though not universal) for people taking any stimulant. The easy solution is don't have any caffeine (or sharply limit it). For myself, coffee in particular is bad even if it's decaf; tea turns out less bad and maybe sometimes good.

BellaVita
03-14-14, 06:47 PM
Yes, this is common (though not universal) for people taking any stimulant. The easy solution is don't have any caffeine (or sharply limit it). For myself, coffee in particular is bad even if it's decaf; tea turns out less bad and maybe sometimes good.

I was just waiting for dvdnvwls to comment on this thread :p

HADDaball
03-14-14, 06:57 PM
I get a dirty feel drinking coffee sometimes. Anyone else?

dvdnvwls
03-15-14, 12:30 AM
I get a dirty feel drinking coffee sometimes. Anyone else?
What do you mean by "dirty" in this context? Like, the coffee feels strange in your mouth?

Flia
03-15-14, 06:01 AM
Be aware of what you eat or drink after diet coke. The artificial sweeteners give you cravings for sugar (as they trigger insuline which lowers the blood sugar).
You can also become hyper from the low sugar levels that come from drinking diet coke.

barefootheathen
03-17-14, 07:05 PM
I have been advised that caffeine could really help my ADD, but I don't find that it does. I don't really have a problem with it though, other than if I have 2 cups of coffee or more on an empty stomach I get very shaky. I just have to make sure to eat when I drink...

AdamLL
03-18-14, 11:33 AM
I really don't have to much of a problem with coffee either. I will get very shaky like barefooteathen if I don't eat something.

psychological1
03-18-14, 11:41 AM

You probably already know this, but decaf coffee still has caffeine in it, just to a lesser extent.

On Concerta, caffeine really messed me up. When I switched to Vyvanse, I can drink coffee every morning and have no trouble with it.

sabotender
03-22-14, 11:04 AM
i dont know, i'd never felt anything with caffeinated drinks, apart from the fact that i used coffee as an excuse to move around because i can't keep my butt stick to my workstation long enough...and my work required me to be in front of the PC the whole day. If I'm working on something interesting, I can glue to it all day without a problem, but if it's got a less exciting job to work on, I would take little walks in between the day (I got into trouble with the boss because of that, who found my "walks" too excessive and distracting; not because of poor quality of work or whatsoever. With medication I can cope better and had a better sense of 'self-restrain'...the urge of walking about is still there though, but I am aware. Without medication I wouldn't even realize I was moving about. I just got up and go. On weekends where I don't need to work, I'd never had coffee cravings, nor feel any different with or without them.

Wil2014
03-22-14, 01:54 PM
I understand that what works for one person doesn't work another. But, caffeine is my friend. My primary source of caffeine is from quality black, oolong and white teas (I don't like green)... warm or iced... I believe that TEA is the best thing a person can consume. I drink an average of 3-4 tea beverages a day, and I take stimulant medication... I don't get increased BP or heart racing. I sometimes will have a cup with NO SUGAR 30 minutes prior to going to bed... fall right asleep.

DIET COKE? Awful! Others have commented on this and I agree that artificial sweeteners are often the culprit of negative effects and the caffeine has to take the bad rap. I avoid artificial sweeteners all together, they are hard on the body. Give me good old cane sugar or honey as a sweetener. Oh HONEY!!! So good for you!!! I think I'm going to go steep a cup of Darjeeling and add a little local honey right now.

http://www.thesustainablespot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Spanish_Honey.jpg

HADDaball
03-22-14, 08:07 PM
What do you mean by "dirty" in this context? Like, the coffee feels strange in your mouth?

There's a yucky feeling in the body. It just feels yucky. Dirty.

Fraser_0762
03-22-14, 09:20 PM
The Caffeine "high", is basically Anxiety, Panic, Paranoia, Irritability and Stress all rolled into one messy package.

Despite being the most widely consumed drug in the world, it's also quite dirty.

Fraser_0762
03-22-14, 09:26 PM
I understand that what works for one person doesn't work another. But, caffeine is my friend. My primary source of caffeine is from quality black, oolong and white teas (I don't like green)... warm or iced... I believe that TEA is the best thing a person can consume. I drink an average of 3-4 tea beverages a day, and I take stimulant medication... I don't get increased BP or heart racing. I sometimes will have a cup with NO SUGAR 30 minutes prior to going to bed... fall right asleep.

It's not so much the Caffeine that makes tea pleasent. It's the L-Theanine which can help soothe the body and the nervous system

Dopaminergic
03-22-14, 09:54 PM
Caffeine alone didn't seem to help my add much at all. It motivated me, but I couldn't concentrate well on it. After starting Ritalin, I noticed that I felt focused on it, but I kinda felt like a zombie and couldn't think as well. After drinking a very small amount of caffeine, roughly 50mg, along with my Ritalin, the zombie effect went away and I was still able to focus. I haven't consumed large amounts of caffeine(around 1 or two cups of coffee) on Ritalin yet, but I'd imagine that if I did, it would make me very anxious.

Wil2014
03-23-14, 12:31 AM
The Caffeine "high", is basically Anxiety, Panic, Paranoia, Irritability and Stress all rolled into one messy package.

Despite being the most widely consumed drug in the world, it's also quite dirty.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree.

Fraser_0762
03-23-14, 08:08 AM
I'm sorry but I totally disagree.

I told you, you're getting Caffeine confused wirh L-Theanine.

It's the L-Theanine that makes tea pleasant, not the Caffeine.

Taking pure Caffeine is completely different than drinking a cup of tea.

Wil2014
03-23-14, 09:52 AM
I told you, you're getting Caffeine confused wirh L-Theanine.

It's the L-Theanine that makes tea pleasant, not the Caffeine.

Taking pure Caffeine is completely different than drinking a cup of tea.

I'm not confused at all and I appreciate you looking out for my best interest. However, I'm familiar with L-Theanine. I believe it is very good for people. It is something that has gravitated me towards serious tea drinking. I do not get the same benefits from decaffeinated tea as I do from caffeinated. I don't drink most other caffeinated drinks mainly due to taste preference and my adverse reaction to artificial sweeteners. The research on the benefits of L-Theanine or Caffeine is not an absolute. Furthermore the synergy between Caffeine and L-Theanine is limitedly understood.

In my situation I have gravitated towards caffeinated tea drinking for a number of reasons. I enjoy the taste, the smell and understand the benefits I get from it therapeutically. I am mindful of the foods and liquids I consume based on the chemicals and ingredients.

I realize that some people have adverse reactions to Caffeine. At the same time many people have positive reactions with Caffeine. I'm sincere when I say, I respectfully disagree with the absoluteness in your assessment of Caffeine. I just think it is unfair and unfounded to demonize it as a dirty drug. By all means, if you've had bad experiences with Caffeine avoid it. Please don't assume that I don't understand my own position on Caffeine. My apologies that I did not initially provide more details.

MrMostArtistic
03-23-14, 10:32 PM
I find that caffeine actually puts me to sleep. I crash almost immediately and a fog settles in my brain that makes it really difficult to get anything done at work.