View Full Version : New therapy for personality disorders proven more effective than other treatments

Fortune
03-15-14, 10:32 PM
Story here:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-02-therapy-personality-disorders-proven-effective.html

A large scale randomized control trial, just released in the American Journal of Psychiatry (the official journal of the American Psychiatric Association) shows Schema Therapy to be significantly more effective than two major alternative approaches to the treatment of a broad range of personality disorders (avoidant, obsessive compulsive, dependent, paranoid, histrionic, and narcissistic).

Schema Therapy resulted in a higher rate of recovery, greater declines in depression, greater increases in general and social functioning and had a lower drop out rate. The results also suggest Schema Therapy is more cost-effective, achieving these results in a total of 50 sessions, and that it can be readily implemented in regular clinical settings.

This is an important extension of Schema Therapy's unprecedented outcomes in the treatment of borderline personality disorder. Three major outcome studies (Farrell et al., 2009; Nadort et al., 2009; Giesn-Bloo et al., 2006) have shown that many patients with Borderline Personality Disorder can achieve full recovery across the complete range of symptoms and that it is twice as effective as a popular alternative, Transference Focused Psychotherapy.

This study extends these impressive findings by including a broad range of understudied personality disorders and suggests that Schema Therapy is the most effective means currently available to alleviate the high societal and personal costs of these prevalent disorders. While rapidly gaining popularity in Europe, Schema Therapy is virtually unknown in the United States.

It describes an 80% recovery rate and a low dropout rate.

When I've said in the past that psychotherapy is epically failing clients with personality disorders, the lack of this kind of therapy in the US is what I was referring to. I didn't know about this until today, though.

BellaVita
03-16-14, 05:47 AM
Wow, very interesting.

Thank you for sharing!!!

daveddd
03-16-14, 02:05 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=pS5uAAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=schema+therapy&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3eclU5TOHoqu2gXzu4HgBA&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=schema%20therapy&f=false

its makes a lot of sense

in just the first couple pages it talks about how people with severe disorders block out negative feelings and emotions, something i do

and is common in todays version of ADHD

so combining experiential therapy (dbt style) while also changing a deeply ingrained schema

he nails my schema perfectly here as well

http://books.google.com/books?id=pS5uAAAAQBAJ&pg=PT324&dq=emotional+inhibition+typical+presentations+of+t he+schema&hl=en&sa=X&ei=huclU62oLOXt2wXW54GwAQ&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=emotional%20inhibition%20typical%20presentations %20of%20the%20schema&f=false

mrs. dobbs
03-27-14, 08:23 AM
An Australian friend from another support site showed me a Schema Therapy website a year or two ago and I was like -- 'where has this been?'

Unrelentin Standards.

acdc01
04-08-14, 09:27 AM
Thanks. Extremely helpful post.

DichotOhMy
04-12-14, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the lead, I'll give this a read.