View Full Version : Adhd is not a myth

manasa
03-17-14, 02:20 PM
I see these days that every tom dick and Harry wants to say that adhd doesn't exist and all these meds are a pharmacy trick and people with adhd need right whoop on their *** to get better. I agree that it is often misdiagnosed but that doesn't give you the right to belittle people who have suffered from it. Those with severe adhd like me and along with comorbidities tend to go through really bad situations I tried to take my life, almost did it along with self harm and people deny it and try to make fun. I feel like kicking their ***. Some people who have mild adhd or who are misdiagnosed try to show off saying that oh you know I was just different, it's a gift but what about people like who belong to the higher end of spectrum we should shut our mouths and say we are fools cos there isn't such thing as adhd.

I lived in a country where people did not know adhd existed no awareness about mental health but I still felt something was wrong with I was far away from what my peers could do, daily chores were daunting, I discovered at an age of 23 that there is something like adhd and that's what I have been suffering from if not I would taken my life thinking I was an idiot and fool and cos of depression due to constant failure. You still say adhd is a myth. What do you guys feel when someone says adhd is myth. I feel so bad.

Fraser_0762
03-17-14, 02:36 PM
If it wasn't for the stupendous misdiagnosis rate, it would be less falsified by people.

manasa
03-17-14, 02:59 PM
Seriously people are insensitive to others suffering always live living in a bubble until it doesn't affect such hypocrites... And those who have things well for them often lack gratitude and complain and look down on people who are different and simply dismiss it so callously, that it hurts more than anything else. I had to fight all the ignorance on mental health and adhd for 23 years and now I need to justify that it's not a myth. Seriously this is so annoying

Calixta
03-17-14, 05:15 PM
I agree with you that the general skepticism of peers, neighbors, and even family & friends toward ADHD/ADD can be very frustrating. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and I freely admit that I was one of those people who thought ADHD was something that parents of energetic children used to help their children calm down. In my ignorance, I didn't know that it affected adults and I didn't know that I was suffering, struggling, and underachieving with a very real affliction.

Mental illness and cognitive disabilities have always had a stigma about them...they are "invisible". You can look at a person with a cast and understand they have a broken arm but you can look at a person and see that they have ADHD, and I think that is where this some of the stigma and doubt comes from. Human beings will always classify things; they think, they analyze, and they categorize. If they can't see it or understand it with their own eyes or if they can't consume the proof themselves then they tend to shun it away as being nonexistent and avoid it all together.

I can also guarantee that most people, like myself before my diagnosis, have never had any real contact with a person with ADHD or a person with any of the co-existing conditions. And in their ignorance (for lack of a nicer word and I use 'ignorance' in the least harsh way possible), they simply parrot back what they've read about it, which are usually sensationalist articles designed to gain readers rather than present all of the facts, or they pass along the opinions of others as truth. And they don't realize what they are saying is hurtful.

So, if someone I'm talking to says to me "You have ADHD? Pfft, ADHD isn't real.." or "Haha, everyone has ADHD!", but rather than getting upset with them or offended I try to use that opportunity to teach them about and to raise awareness.

I'll say something along the lines of, "Yes. ADHD is extremely misdiagnosed currently. And yes, while it is very common for most people to exhibit some of the symptoms of ADHD, it's the frequency and severity of those symptoms that can often prove to be debilitating in a person's life. And it's these personal shortcomings paired with critical and dismissive comments, like the one you just made, that wore me down for the first 23 years of my life and sent me spirally into depression. Your words have more power than you realize." Most people don't deliberately try to hurt or offend others and because of this I try to show them a different side of the ADHD coin; to bring them in to a personal level. I hope to help change their perspective, even if it's just a little bit.

I know it's foolish to think that I can reach everyone I talk to, but I feel like eventually the stigma will dissipate. Right now, science is only beginning to understand the depths of the human mind and only starting to grasp the concepts of mental illness...but one day we will understand it fully. Think of it this way, almost nobody believed that the Earth was round at first and look where we are today!

I just hope you don't let those negative people get you down! No matter what they say, you are valid just the way you are. :)

manasa
03-17-14, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your wonderful.. You got a smile on my face for some reason but the thing with adhd is even the psychiatric community and the mental health community looks down on it. They have great sympathy for people
With autism, anxiety disorders or depression but when it comes to adhd they just shun it. It is of such less regard and we are the most less sufferers of all
The mental illnesses that's how it's looked but the case is is people with adhd have other comorbid conditions and also spiral down into depression and painstakingly high anxiety like me... The repurcussions of untreated adhd is as bad as any other mental disorder, I feel doctors have to realize that, even they can't look down on us then who will help us and appreciate our hardship. Thanks for the nice post

willow129
03-17-14, 06:43 PM
I might be thread hijacking....but do you guys actually know anyone who is or was misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD? I have only heard of ONE kid who had autism instead of the ADD/ADHD that was originally suspected. I started a thread about this a while back and I think I got one other example of that happening from someone here and that's it.
(I'm starting to feel like...the idea that there are tons of people who are misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD...I don't think it's actually true. I think there is a condition, it's called ADD/ADHD, and there are people who have it. Yay when they get diagnosed!)

manasa
03-17-14, 07:59 PM
Today my family member has sent me a article saying " adhd doesn't exist" in cnn and I am So angry and ****** at him right now.

See this video.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6o2_UFSEY

This guy I am not sure if he was misdiagnosed or he has mild adhd but he goes on ted x and starts saying adhd is difference in cognition and not a disorder and that he is from Carnegie melon and no one is normal here and all their morons buy into that, he did not talk about several homeless who have adhd, people who end up in jail due to adhd and those who commit suicide, what about them. I felt like kicking that guy in that video

daveddd
03-17-14, 08:07 PM
I might be thread hijacking....but do you guys actually know anyone who is or was misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD? I have only heard of ONE kid who had autism instead of the ADD/ADHD that was originally suspected. I started a thread about this a while back and I think I got one other example of that happening from someone here and that's it.
(I'm starting to feel like...the idea that there are tons of people who are misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD...I don't think it's actually true. I think there is a condition, it's called ADD/ADHD, and there are people who have it. Yay when they get diagnosed!)

nope, i know none

they all seem legit

i don't know a lot of kids though

but all my friends dx adhd have the same issues as peole here

someothertime
03-17-14, 09:34 PM
no i do not know anyone... although there was a guy i went to an "exclusive" boarding school with that was in al the highest classes and shook like hell...

i wondered about him last week and if it was his parents pushing the meds... and he had more narco type symptoms... ( though they take stims too i think )

on a slightly lateral tact manasa... i wonder if tom dick and harry were my partner, or boss or social support... and they were truly able to grasp the economic / productivity ramifications of this... the thing is... whether or not the "label" is true or false... the reality is that many, many peoples lives are drastically improved by diagnosis and stimulant medication... and the follow on effects to the community and globe are infinite... kind of like the global warming debate... labels and propaganda pidgeonholing ignorant conclusions... sad really... ( for them and the world )

for us, the key thing is that the medical establishment continues to treat and make strides with diagnosis... personal effectiveness can rise above "common knowledge"... this is where great things happen :)

sarahsweets
03-18-14, 05:59 AM
I just tell people that say that to go f**k themselves.

Corina86
03-18-14, 06:22 AM
I total feel what you're saying. I don't even bother telling people because NOBODY, except my psychiatrist(s) and a friend that works for an autism foundation, even knows what it is. The only people whom I've told are my parents and their reaction was as I expected: it might be real, but I still have to try harder to pay attention, do more things, day-dream less and work harder and more focused...

I notice a lot of social stigma against depression, anxiety and lots of other mental disorders as well. And not just mental ones, but also against allergies, food intolerance, irritable bowel syndrome, migraines, any sort of issues related to reproductive organs (which are believed to be due to promiscuity and birth control pills) and several others which I can't remember right now.

There seem to be certain phrases that are popular among the ignorant: just get over it, you need to try harder, others have to deal with worse, what would you have done if you had been born 200 years ago, it's a conspiracy to make money/reduce the population/brainwash the population by the big pharma/globalists/illuminati/free-masons/Jews - this one is the most popular.

Frankly, I don't always argue with them because they're too ignorant and it would take many years of education in many fields to get them to understand such issues. Plus, I can't think of any type of education that can help someone acquire common sense.

I wish I could kick their balls, but 1. I'm afraid of legal consequences; 2. I would make them martyrs to their "cause"; 3. half of them are women.

Tmoney
03-18-14, 07:40 AM
There will always be people in this world that have opinions based on what they think is the truth or what they heard from the media.

You can't let that bother you. I have lived with this disorder for 44 years. When I was diagnosed in 1969, nobody knew about AD(H)D. You were hyper and a pain in the ***. You were just labeled weird or like my teachers use to tell me, "Yes, you're different, but you're special"

If someone says to me that there is no such thing as AD(H)D, I tell them to spend a couple of hours with me and then tell me if you still feel the same way, or to ask any member of my family or freinds if they think Tmoney has AD(H)D.
They will go to the supreme court to defend my disorder!

I'm a walking advertisement for AD(H)D. Off medicine I was so severly hyper there was never a doubt that something was definately wrong with me. If I was the innatentive type instead of hyper nobody would have known or tested me. They would have thought I was lazy and stupid.

So when I say I was lucky to be so hyper back then, you know what I mean.

So as aggravating as the ignorance is today, this disorder and the awareness is getting more and more validation. That is good news for us and for the new upcoming AD(H)Ders.

Next thing you know they'll start saying there's no Santa Clause!

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music!" ~ George Carlin

ginniebean
03-18-14, 11:56 AM

This is just it, I have seen plenty of people with adhd who were misdiagnosed as several other things first. Not as many misdiagnosed with adhd with the exception of post secondary diagnosis which is the main culprit of misuse.

Do we do ourselves any favours buying into the idea that adhd is over-diagnosed? Why do we concede this, is it to give the appearance of being reasonable at the expense of the adhd community at large?

According to the stats adhd is often under-diagnosed. Not over-diagnosed.

Kingway
03-19-14, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I'm also pretty sick of people who say ADHD doesn't exist, or those who say that ADHD is a chance, a power or whatever.

As someone who has really severe ADHD I can tell you it does exist and no, it's NOT cool.

addthree
03-19-14, 05:51 PM
Than we all are mythical

willow129
03-19-14, 06:43 PM
This is just it, I have seen plenty of people with adhd who were misdiagnosed as several other things first. Not as many misdiagnosed with adhd with the exception of post secondary diagnosis which is the main culprit of misuse.

Do we do ourselves any favours buying into the idea that adhd is over-diagnosed? Why do we concede this, is it to give the appearance of being reasonable at the expense of the adhd community at large?

According to the stats adhd is often under-diagnosed. Not over-diagnosed.

Yes Ginnie!! I completely agree with you. Exactly - we're not doing ourselves favors by saying that people are misdiagnosed. I've never seen any actual evidence to support this - I've only seen theorized about in articles which are essentially dissing ADHD.

bella21113
04-13-14, 05:12 AM
I see these days that every tom dick and Harry wants to say that adhd doesn't exist and all these meds are a pharmacy trick and people with adhd need right whoop on their *** to get better. I agree that it is often misdiagnosed but that doesn't give you the right to belittle people who have suffered from it. Those with severe adhd like me and along with comorbidities tend to go through really bad situations I tried to take my life, almost did it along with self harm and people deny it and try to make fun. I feel like kicking their ***. Some people who have mild adhd or who are misdiagnosed try to show off saying that oh you know I was just different, it's a gift but what about people like who belong to the higher end of spectrum we should shut our mouths and say we are fools cos there isn't such thing as adhd.

I lived in a country where people did not know adhd existed no awareness about mental health but I still felt something was wrong with I was far away from what my peers could do, daily chores were daunting, I discovered at an age of 23 that there is something like adhd and that's what I have been suffering from if not I would taken my life thinking I was an idiot and fool and cos of depression due to constant failure. You still say adhd is a myth. What do you guys feel when someone says adhd is myth. I feel so bad.

Thank you!! I could not agree more with you. For some reason I feel like everyone and there mother has something to say about ADHD or even more the medication we have to take for it. Now because of the medication they are suddenly telling us or running around saying that adhd does not exist?! That we all take the medication for some kind of a high?! I hate the fact that I have horrible adhd and yes I have to take medication; what i hate is having to go to the pharmacy with my script in hand and feel like i'm some kind of criminal for getting it filled!! Because it is now a class a whatever narcotic; last time I checked any drug could cause severe side efffects! So why the sudden interest or opinions on ADHD? The knew system wide database ( where they monitor us because of our medication ) All reinforced because people that have no idea what it is like to actually suffer from ADHD HAD to make it there priority all of the sudden?! So all these year's.. and now it's an issue! People NEED to mind there own buisness, EVERY medication has side effects that can possibly kill you. that is a risk of taking even tylenal. Are we going to stop people from getting there seizure meds because those can cause heart failure?! NO! Do we voice our opinions or judge any of the " mild adhd". No we feel sorry for those; to have to have a need for attention. Find it elsewhere; some of us truly struggle. Respect that

GirlieSoGroovy
04-27-14, 04:04 AM
It might be overdiagnosed in male children, but it's definitely underdiagnosed in adult women imo. I have ALWAYS had these symptoms and it has caused me a great deal of pain throughout my life, though I am lucky enough to have been able to compensate academically for a long time because I learned to read when I was young and could speed-read, skim, not pay attention, be completely unorganized, etc and still excel in the structured environment of the small private school I attended and have my stay-at-home mom waking me up on time and reminding me that my homework was due. In the 90s though nobody was going to diagnose a girl with good grades who wasn't bouncing off the walls with ADHD. It certainly isn't a gift. I have succeeded at some things, but I can really only do well in one aspect of my life at a time and if there are other responsibilites than I fall apart. The things I have done well at were in spite of my ADHD, not because of it, and I could have accomplished much more by now and not fallen into such horrible debt if I had been diagnosed and treated earlier.

http://jezebel.com/the-adderall-and-adhd-controversy-is-different-when-you-1501415838