View Full Version : I KNOW you guys won't Crucify for this...right? Caffeine and kids.

mollymae76
03-18-14, 10:01 AM
Anybody out there give there child an afternoon "booster" with some caffeine in it? NOT anything potent or in the energy drink category. I've read about an Advocare product called Spark that is good for this and used by some parents for this purpose. I'm not really interested in contacting a multilevel salesman though.

During homework my child says he...get this, his words not mine, "feels floppy". I try not to lol everytime he says it. He's 10 years old.

Anyway--If you're not into this please put away the hate-or-ade and move on :lol:

^^^Edited to say~Sorry for being defensive right off the bat^^^

mollymae76
03-18-14, 10:23 AM
Also just occurred to me that is is nor a general parenting issue. Feel free to relocate if needed!

Fuzzy12
03-18-14, 10:54 AM
How old is he? in my native country kids start drinking coffee or tea fairly early. .from10 onwards I'd guess. They seem fine but I'm not sure what the medical advice is. But then there are a lot of kids that drink coke and other caffeinated beverages I guess.

I'm just wondering if caffeine would help. It doesn't help me with my adhd symptoms. On the contrary it makes me more jittery and restless. What does feeling floppy mean? sleepy? maybe he needs more sleep, or fresh air, or food.

Maybe it's just me but when I'm tired caffeine doesn't keep me awake. Food does. As a kid I used to say sometimes glucose tabs and they feel really revitalizing.

Our maybe the material he's reading isn't stimulating enough. Maybe he needs more breaks.

psychological1
03-18-14, 11:20 AM
When I presented to my doctor (GP) with an ADD diagnosis from a psychologist, he told me to drink caffeine and sent me on my way. I was incredibly offended by this, but regardless there is some literature that supports caffeine helping with focus. I find this true to a very slight extent, but not anything beneficial enough to make a difference.

ginniebean
03-18-14, 11:27 AM
Generally speaking caffeine is a poor stimulant for adhd because it can cause a big increase in anxiety. Watch for that. Some tolerate caffeine and some don't. I tried it with my son when he was little and I was anti-med, didn't do a thing for him and did increase his anxiety.

Is your child medicated?

mollymae76
03-18-14, 12:15 PM
He's on 36mg of concerta a day and is 10 years old. He's 115 lbs and almost as tall as me though. Not sure if any of that matters.

FEELING FLOPPY= extremely unmotivated and blah...is sort of how he explains his feeling.

I've had great success in the past with just having him go out and jump on the trampoline for awhile. This usually helps him overcome this feeling but even that wouldn't work yesterday becuase he couldn't "make himself want to".

Here's hoping for a better day.

Sidenote: Caffeine has been my self medication of choice ever since jr high so I guess that's why I thought about it. But, whoever said it is right...it can be a bad combo with any medication during a crash I guess. I'd be heartbroken to cause him any anxiety. :(

Water is majorly our drink of choice in this house so anything other than the usual water or milk is going to be very different.

addthree
03-18-14, 01:05 PM
If he can handle it without sleep problems it may be okay. However you might want to think about not doing it everyday to avoid addiction. Especially soda it will rot your teeth and in general is bad habit some cannot break.

Flory
03-18-14, 02:33 PM
Is he able to eat well... If not is he feeling lethargic due to low blood sugar perhaps ?

dvdnvwls
03-18-14, 03:06 PM
Concerta plus caffeine can give a nasty "buzz" without doing much good. It depends on the person.

If sleep and water and food and exercise are all taken care of, then the next step might be to wonder if he needs an extra dose or a higher dose of Concerta. It's vastly more effective than caffeine is, at actually helping your son. Caffeine is more like a tingly illusion of helping, but has hardly any real brain effect.

Tmoney
03-18-14, 03:14 PM
Um, I'm not a muti-level salesman or a hater!

I have Spark and take it from time to time. It does help me focus without that jittery feeling.
I don't like taking it all the time because I don't want to become dependend on it.

When I keep my diet clean and avoid too much sugar I notice that I don't need it as much.

When I have reports and lots of paper work (which is as boring as homework) I will take some.

Moderation is key.

I always promise not to crucify or hate for any questions you have concerning yourself or your family!

We are here to help!

ccom5100
03-18-14, 05:40 PM
My ds (14) takes a Starbucks Refresher to school each day to drink at lunchtime. I buy them by the case at Costco. The 12 oz cans contain between 40-55 milligrams of caffeine, which comes from Green Coffee Extract. This is considerably less than Spark at 120mg per 8 fluid oz cup. He was complaining about being tired after lunch.

Fraser_0762
03-18-14, 05:50 PM
The issue with Caffeine is that the more you ingest, the less beneficial it is and the more side effects you experience.

I would say that the increased focus is very minimal with Caffeine in small doses. But in higher doses, the focus is all on the anxiety.

If he's struggling for energy in the afternoon, try a vitamin C suppliment instead.

mollymae76
03-18-14, 06:05 PM
If he can handle it without sleep problems it may be okay. However you might want to think about not doing it everyday to avoid addiction. Especially soda it will rot your teeth and in general is bad habit some cannot break.

Um, I'm not a muti-level salesman or a hater!

I have Spark and take it from time to time. It does help me focus without that jittery feeling.
I don't like taking it all the time because I don't want to become dependend on it.

When I keep my diet clean and avoid too much sugar I notice that I don't need it as much.

When I have reports and lots of paper work (which is as boring as homework) I will take some.

Moderation is key.

I always promise not to crucify or hate for any questions you have concerning yourself or your family!

We are here to help!

HA! I know, I know! I was trying to write a catchy thread title I suppose. Sorry about that. :lol: Everyone here is so tame compared to some of the mommy message boards. Sheesh they can be a bunch of barracudas and I'm not even kidding. lol

Thank you so much! I am getting some samples of Spark today actually. More for me probably because it sounds like it has a lot of caffeine in it.

mollymae76
03-18-14, 06:08 PM
OK Guys! Thank so much for your valuable imput. Right now he's acting great in stark contrast to Monday after school when I was really concerned about him. He is already getting busy on his homework.

I mentioned that he could play xbox after he's done which is usually reserved for weekends only. So, maybe he needs an afternoon booster of xbox and I should just drink the beverage myself :)

ccom5100
03-19-14, 10:13 AM
[I mentioned that he could play xbox after he's done which is usually reserved for weekends only. So, maybe he needs an afternoon booster of xbox and I should just drink the beverage myself :)[/quote]

X-Box is a great motivator here too. DS failed the first semester of World History and he has to do an on-line course to make up the credit. He was behind the target percentage that he was supposed to be at. This week, he's off a few days because of state testing and his grade doesn't get tested. I told him he had to get to a certain percentage by the end of the week and if he gets there earlier, he can have his X-Box for the rest of the week. Well, lo and behold, he got to (and surpassed) the target percentage the first day! :)