View Full Version : Panic attacks are stupid

mrs. dobbs
03-19-14, 12:32 PM
I am having a really long bad one right now that won't go away. Plus angry frustrated depressed thoughts. I don't know why. Maybe subconsciously because my mom is sick and I am going through transitions and trying to do emotional housecleaning but honestly I feel like I am losing it for real and I just wish I could take something for it but I have no meds.

Fuzzy12
03-19-14, 12:34 PM
((((((((((((((((D))))))))) :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Panic attacks suck. Angry frustrated depressed thoughts suck as well. :(

I don't know if this is good advice but if the emotional house cleaning is making your panic attacks worse, maybe take a temporary break from it? Sorry, I wish I had something more useful to say.

:grouphug:

mrs. dobbs
03-19-14, 12:51 PM
:grouphug: thank you so much fuzzy.

willow129
03-19-14, 07:47 PM
oooh **huuuuuugs** breathe! do a little exercise later maybe? it's going to be ok!!

Piper30
03-19-14, 08:36 PM
I am having a really long bad one right now that won't go away. Plus angry frustrated depressed thoughts. I don't know why. Maybe subconsciously because my mom is sick and I am going through transitions and trying to do emotional housecleaning but honestly I feel like I am losing it for real and I just wish I could take something for it but I have no meds.

How are you doing now?

Andi
03-19-14, 09:20 PM
When I saw this today I was in the middle of one myself, so wanted to say "oh yeah they do suck." Sorry I didn't reach out but I hope you're doing better :)

sarek
03-20-14, 03:22 AM
There is nothing stupid about anxiety mrs. Dobbs. It is very real and it messes with your life in a huge way.
You feel you are on a huge rollercoaster right now, but that doesnt necessarily have to be a bad thing. There is energy in it, which you can learn to channel. Being aware of that can make such a dark night of the soul into a forge to build a new you.

stef
03-20-14, 04:31 AM
There is energy in it, which you can learn to channel. Being aware of that can make such a dark night of the soul into a forge to build a new you.

Sarek, that is brilliant, thank you. I hope I remember this in darker times...

silivrentoliel
03-20-14, 11:32 AM
ooo panic attacks are awful. i'm so sorry you're having to deal with so much right now :grouphug: are you able to find a dark, quiet place to go hide? sometimes, that helps me more than medication.

mrs. dobbs
03-22-14, 08:04 AM
:grouphug: :grouphug:

Thank you willow, piper, andi, sarek, stef and silivrent

Andi hugs... I hope your panic attacks are lessening.

I am having another one now... wee... and with a sleepy fussy baby. Weee! :( :s

mrs. dobbs
03-22-14, 08:05 AM
Are these here to help me master fear? Because this is ridiculous.

Fuzzy12
03-22-14, 09:56 AM
Are these here to help me master fear? Because this is ridiculous.

I sometimes wonder about that. Am I suppose to learn something from my emotional issues? Surely there is lots to learn. Shouldn't dealing with them make me stronger? if I just knew how to deal with them in a constructive way then shouldn't I come out as a better, more capable person?

But then anxiety and panic attacks are a different kind of beast I think. They seem to disable the very capabilities we need to deal with them. In the midst of a panic attack when stress is st a peak we are like a threatened animal and all energy good info survival. I find it difficult to think clearly let alone to try and the lesson I'm presented with.

So maybe while you are going through a panic attack isn't the easiest time to learn our master anything. But maybe later when we've calmed down a bit it might help to look bsck and see if there's anything we can learn and use, anything we can add to our tool box to deal with the next attack better, or to mitigate or prevent it.

mrs. dobbs
03-22-14, 11:16 AM
Yeah, fear is one thing. Panic is another.

datajunkie
03-22-14, 04:15 PM
This is physical based just as AD/HD has physical roots.
Stress can deplete GABA and natural endorphins. If endorphins become elevated for a while with stress and then the body can't make them, it can cause a true withdrawal. That is enough to trigger a panic attack.

Some things to try. If you hyperventilate, get a paper bag and breathe into it until you can breath normally. Hyperventilating causes you blood pH to drop as your carbon dioxide--acidifying, doesn't build back up with the heavy breathing. This locks out calcium in the blood and can be one trigger. I walked around with a bag in my pocket for some weeks at my worst. without a bag, I found I could stop it by holding my muscles really tight to drive up lactic acid, breath shallow and high in my chest, and gradually over about 10 minutes, slow my breathing, loosen muscles a bit, hold it there until I knew I wouldn't rebound and finally loosen up and breathe normally.

Other things to help cope with stress. Sublingual GABA tablets may help, gets into the blood without passing the liver. 5htp, I use bulk powder from purebulk.com--good quality and cheap. a tiny dab on a fingertip on my tongue--slightly sweet and in about 40 minutes I can usually drop off to sleep. Adrenal support. Best all around support I found is ACE, adrenal cortex extract. I use Ultra brand as has most extract for the price and works. Last time I ordered, lucky vitamins had the best price. Must be cortex, not whole adrenal. gives your body a low dose of cortisol and other adrenal hormones so your adrenals can start to downregulate and relax. doesn't need to hit the adrenaline button to slam your body into producing the cortisol etc. The ultra tabs can be cut down if too strong, I never had a problem with a whole one and during the day, at times needed 2-3 morning noon, late afternoon and 1 before sleep or if I woke up at night.

I found that reminding myself I was safe, this would pass and the 'fear' was due to my body being in overdrive trying to protect me. biochemical, not all in my head. thank my body and subconscious for trying so hard and that it's ok to go off red alert to standby. that will conserve resources for the times they are needed more.

other things if you need quick easy to get stronger intervention. dramamine or generic dramamine but not the other motion sickness product can be somewhat sedating. and benadryl or the generic can also be sedating. antihistamines don't reduce histamine but block the receptors. histamine is an NT that can act like a sparkplug for the others. when it is high it can send the brain into overdrive and when low can make you sluggish. do not over use as that can rebound unpleasantly. short term though I've used both in emergencies when I had to cope. I'm still here, have all body parts and reasonably sane so they did help get me through some troublesome times. :) do be careful driving etc. if you try them.

royal1
03-31-14, 07:15 AM
I would suggest you to enhance your social network and share yourself with friends. Also, try to search a part time job so that you do not feel alone.

Amtram
03-31-14, 01:53 PM
I have found nothing that works as well as the right medication. The wrong medication makes them worse. I am currently on the wrong medication, so I feel your pain.