View Full Version : Taking more adderall than prescribed

Barbarian_A
03-20-14, 11:56 PM
A friend of mine sometimes takes more than he should of his adderall. He knows he should, but sometimes he just does it. Like if he's supposed to take 40mg hell sometimes takes 70mg, maybe 2 times a week he does this, but he doesn't take it on the weekends so he still has enough till his next script. He does understand it's not one bit good and he should never take more than his doc tells him to, but he does it anyways. What should I tell him? How can I help him to not do that? I want him to just take his meds for what they are, but he tells me he feels happier when he takes more. He says he feels normal and positive about doing things in life. I can't argue with that, but it's not the dose his doc has prescribed! What would you say to get through to him? Do you think he's going down a bad path? He's not doing it everyday? What's your experiences with that if any? I'm interested to hear your thoughts/ideas/input!

Piper30
03-21-14, 12:12 AM
I think aside from the obvious issues with taking more .... you hurt yourself because eventually you "need" more and the "right" dose doesn't work ... I take mine as prescribed and have for years and even still I am having focusing problems again ... I can't imagine if I was taking more and had a tolerance to it ... I would be in trouble because I do need it to function in society. I can't work unless medicated.

Barbarian_A
03-21-14, 12:14 AM
I think aside from the obvious issues with taking more .... you hurt yourself because eventually you "need" more and the "right" dose doesn't work ... I take mine as prescribed and have for years and even still I am having focusing problems again ... I can't imagine if I was taking more and had a tolerance to it ... I would be in trouble because I do need it to function in society. I can't work unless medicated.

I agree with you! He should just not do that right? It can only be a bad things guess

Piper30
03-21-14, 01:07 AM
I wouldn't do it personally .. well let me be honest, I have taken more before the first year I was taking it. At the time I took more it did feel good ... but it wasn't and it was destructive in the end. I learned quickly that I needed to keep it at the dose it was supposed to be.

The goal isn't to be high or to reach an extreme.... it is to level us out.

Barbarian_A
03-21-14, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't do it personally .. well let me be honest, I have taken more before the first year I was taking it. At the time I took more it did feel good ... but it wasn't and it was destructive in the end. I learned quickly that I needed to keep it at the dose it was supposed to be.

The goal isn't to be high or to reach an extreme.... it is to level us out.

Thanks for the insight! My friends just starting it, been maybe a month so far. He's probably goin through the same thing you did.

Piper30
03-21-14, 01:17 AM
Yeah ... I took my dose and felt awesome, then on accident actually double dosed one time..I felt so different ... so I did it again weeks later, only did it a few times but it wasn't ever good in the end. Hope your friend sticks to his dose :)

Barbarian_A
03-21-14, 01:19 AM
Yeah ... I took my dose and felt awesome, then on accident actually double dosed one time..I felt so different ... so I did it again weeks later, only did it a few times but it wasn't ever good in the end. Hope your friend sticks to his dose :)

I hear you! I'm sure he will! He just needs some advice! :)

dvdnvwls
03-21-14, 04:06 AM
Your "friend" should probably be honest and join ADDF himself, if he wants to know. This is an ADHD forum, not a drug-abuse forum. No need to hide behind silly excuses.

sarahsweets
03-21-14, 04:53 AM
There is not much you can do beyond reminding him of the illegality and risk of losing his doctor.

Barbarian_A
03-21-14, 09:47 PM
Your "friend" should probably be honest and join ADDF himself, if he wants to know. This is an ADHD forum, not a drug-abuse forum. No need to hide behind silly excuses.

I'm using my friend for personal reasons.

Barbarian_A
03-21-14, 09:49 PM
There is not much you can do beyond reminding him of the illegality and risk of losing his doctor.

Yea, oh well. You live and you learn. Thanks for the reminders.

Stevuke79
03-21-14, 10:00 PM
It sounds like he's headed for 200+ mg in about another year or so. At that point there are two possibilities: 1. he dies. 2. he crashes, hits rock bottom and gets help before he dies.

If I were him, I'd short circuit this whole process and get help right now, that way he can guarantee the whole "before he dies" part. He can't solve this on his own, and no one on this forum can help him either.

BellaVita
03-22-14, 01:45 AM
I don't get it. I've been on too high of dose of Vyvanse and Adderall (prescribed) in the past, and it made me feel like crap.

Barbarian_A
03-22-14, 05:36 AM
I don't get it. I've been on too high of dose of Vyvanse and Adderall (prescribed) in the past, and it made me feel like crap.

Maybe you react differently to these drugs? I've had a lot on my mind lately, I'm fairly new to ADHD meds and I'm just learning for myself I guess... Idk, adderall was not what I expected..

Barbarian_A
03-22-14, 05:37 AM
It sounds like he's headed for 200+ mg in about another year or so. At that point there are two possibilities: 1. he dies. 2. he crashes, hits rock bottom and gets help before he dies.

If I were him, I'd short circuit this whole process and get help right now, that way he can guarantee the whole "before he dies" part. He can't solve this on his own, and no one on this forum can help him either.

He just started doing adderall a month ago. I don't think he's made a lifestyle out doing that. Besides he's only done it maybe 5 times in one month. It's not as life threatening as you'd think..

sarahsweets
03-22-14, 05:39 AM
another thing I thought of is, if your friend hasnt felt any negative effects from taking more adderall than prescribed, or had any negative consequences in his life, he probably wont stop doing it. Thats usually the only way people learn anything.

Barbarian_A
03-22-14, 05:47 AM
another thing I thought of is, if your friend hasnt felt any negative effects from taking more adderall than prescribed, or had any negative consequences in his life, he probably wont stop doing it. Thats usually the only way people learn anything.

He's had plenty of experience in his life of drugs and how they steal your soul. He knows he shouldn't and also doesn't plan on making a routine out of it. He just tried it a few times and I was interested in knowing your opinions on the matter.. It's quite obvious everyone is against it and when multiple people of different upbringings can agree on something he understands it's extremely valid. My real question I guess was if any of you had done similar things I'm the very beginning of your ADHD med journey? I'll take more time to think out things before I post them next time. Thanks for all the knowledge shared.