View Full Version : Need some advice.Could Parkinson's disease aggravate Attention deficit disorder?

Hyperman87
03-21-14, 04:46 PM
For me depending upon the time of day & the situation. My Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms are much worse. :o :(

Even with anti-hyperkinetic stimulant medicine(Vyvanse) or Amitriptyline(Tricyclic Anti-depressant/Second-line ADHD treatment) & Nadolol(Beta-blocker thought to help relive ADHD symptoms,as well.)

For example, after medicating at around 10 a.m. By 2:25 pm, I was very hyperactive, impulsive, & lacking in concentration. This happens to me more & more lately. :eek:

You know what? I don't even think it is a lack of efficacy from Vyvanse,Elavil(Amitriptyline) or Nadolol. I think it's related to my Parkinson disease. :mad:

See I'm thinking that the death of dopamine neurons in my brain.Is also causing or making an already severe form of adult ADHD even worse!
:umm1:

I know a lot of my fellow ADHDer's here have a really good comprehension of diseases or illnesses of the nervous system,so I thought I'd ask for some advice! :):grouphug:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_ADHD_related_to_Parkinson's_disease

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cw8jHUkHiA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0mI6VPLBGM

Lunacie
03-21-14, 06:58 PM
Any time we get sick or have more stress, our symptoms are generally more troubling.

Are you being treated for the Parkinson's? I know those meds are horribly expensive, my son-in-law Parkinson's too.

Hyperman87
03-21-14, 11:20 PM
Any time we get sick or have more stress, our symptoms are generally more troubling.

Are you being treated for the Parkinson's? I know those meds are horribly expensive, my son-in-law Parkinson's too.

Yes, Lunacie :) :o(I'm sorry, I see you answered my question hours earlier.:lol:) I am being treated for Parkinson disease as well. I take the drug Sinemet known generically as (levodopa-carbidopa)!

USMCcop
03-21-14, 11:32 PM
Can I ask why you're taking Elavil? That's a pretty low dose. Been on it for years 150 mg.

Hyperman87
03-21-14, 11:35 PM
Can I ask why you're taking Elavil? That's a pretty low dose. Been on it for years 150 mg.

Certainly! :) My neurologist prescribed it(along with levodopa for Parkinson's) to me for:Attention deficit disorder(Second-line ADHD medicine), Migraine, Peripheral Neuropathy, as an Anti-Parkinsonian agent(as a tremor medication),Parkinsonian depression/anxiety!

Lunacie
03-21-14, 11:36 PM
Yes, Lunacie :) :o(I'm sorry, I see you answered my question hours earlier.:lol:) I am being treated for Parkinson disease as well. I take the drug Sinemet known generically as (levodopa-carbidopa)!

Ha! The info was there in your siggie all along, blame the headache for my not seeing it.

I just got home from the hospital so the timing is fine. (My granddaughter is in the psych unit

being evaluated after hitting her mom and waving a knife at all of us a few hours ago ...

the cops here are great and gave her and mommy a ride to the hospital).

Hyperman87
03-21-14, 11:50 PM
Ha! The info was there in your siggie all along, blame the headache for my not seeing it.

I just got home from the hospital so the timing is fine. (My granddaughter is in the psych unit

being evaluated after hitting her mom and waving a knife at all of us a few hours ago ...

the cops here are great and gave her and mommy a ride to the hospital).

Oh, I'm sorry sounds like it's been one hell of a night! :(:grouphug:

sarahsweets
03-22-14, 05:52 AM
you know hyperman, Im a believer that anything wrong that originates in the brain, makes everything else in the brain go to sh*t-or at least get worse.

Hyperman87
03-22-14, 07:14 PM
you know hyperman, Im a believer that anything wrong that originates in the brain, makes everything else in the brain go to sh*t-or at least get worse.

:goodpost:

Hey, thank you Sarah! :) That was my theory as well. Since both ADHD & Parkinson's disease involve a lack of dopamine in the brain in different areas. It makes sense that destruction of the neurons that produce dopamine for movement(In the substantia nigra), would lead to a lack of dopamine responsible for paying attention & controlling impulses(In the frontal lobe of the brain.)

Even though there remain theories,about a potential link of Stimulants leading to Parkinson's disease(there are also just as many theories, that claim ADHD doesn't exist at all!) :mad:

I think(personal opinion ,here!) the main thing is just the opposite. Stimulants may actually help to treat Parkinson disease & that ADHD (as an illness itself) likely turns into Parkinson disease for some patients(usually males,as ADHD is more common in boys than in girls.Parkinson disease is more common in elderly men than in elderly women.) However, elderly people can be affected by ADHD & teenagers can get Parkinson disease.

sarahsweets
03-23-14, 07:48 AM
I think youre on to something re:stimulant treatment and parkinsons. They are doing some clinical testing on provigil as a treatment for parkinsons as well. I have no idea when the data will go public and although it is not a typical stimulants, it seems to work in the same areas that traditional stimulants do.

:goodpost:

Hey, thank you Sarah! :) That was my theory as well. Since both ADHD & Parkinson's disease involve a lack of dopamine in the brain in different areas. It makes sense that destruction of the neurons that produce dopamine for movement(In the substantia nigra), would lead to a lack of dopamine responsible for paying attention & controlling impulses(In the frontal lobe of the brain.)

Even though there remain theories,about a potential link of Stimulants leading to Parkinson's disease(there are also just as many theories, that claim ADHD doesn't exist at all!) :mad:

I think(personal opinion ,here!) the main thing is just the opposite. Stimulants may actually help to treat Parkinson disease & that ADHD (as an illness itself) likely turns into Parkinson disease for some patients(usually males,as ADHD is more common in boys than in girls.Parkinson disease is more common in elderly men than in elderly women.) However, elderly people can be affected by ADHD & teenagers can get Parkinson disease.

wyleops
04-13-14, 12:50 AM
I was diagnosed with ADHD and RLS at age 42. I'm 46 now and being evaluated for Parkinson's. Currently taking Vyvanse and Ropinirole.