View Full Version : Is There Any Hypnotism That Actually Works?

Candyman
03-21-14, 08:00 PM
I've spent much money over the years trying hypnosis and brainwave entrainment. It has no effect whatsoever. I believe that its nothing more that a placebo (sugar pill). How can professional psychologists be allowed to sell a treatment that doesn't work, and is an obvious scam?

Lunacie
03-21-14, 11:15 PM
I've never tried hypnosis because I don't think it would work for me.

But I believe it does work for some people. Everyone is different.

I've tried chiropractic several times. It didn't help me at all.

Some say acupuncture is a scam, but it worked amazingly for me.

sarahsweets
03-22-14, 05:57 AM
because people can sell whatever they want as long as they can get enough people to believe it.

Candyman
03-22-14, 02:49 PM
I've never tried hypnosis because I don't think it would work for me.

But I believe it does work for some people. Everyone is different.

I've tried chiropractic several times. It didn't help me at all.

Some say acupuncture is a scam, but it worked amazingly for me.

Tell me more about acupuncture. What condition did you use it for, and how long did it work for you? Did it have an effect that only lasts a day or two, or is it long lasting?

I truly wanted hypnosis to work for me, and I wouldn't care if it was a placebo effect, as long as it worked. But now its turning into something similar to organized crime. They have a placebo for everything, and people are getting rich off of it, while the people suffering are being scammed, without seeing results.

Lunacie
03-22-14, 03:41 PM
I've had migraine headaches since I was 19, was having auras even younger.

About 4 years ago I fell and broke the long bone in my arm near the shoulder.

This put a lot of stress on my neck and spine and I developed daily migraines.

I couldn't find a doctor who was willing to treat chronic pain in my area.

I suffered for over a year, taking Tylenol and ibuprofen and Excedrin.

The last doctor ended up treating me for unresponsive hypertension due to the meds.

I stopped taking them and within 3 days my blood pressure was back to normal.

But the headaches continued. My daughter suggested I try acupuncture.

There is a school near us that teaches Chinese medicine. I saw one of their doctors

for a little over two months, getting a treatment once a week.

The doctor said it would take about 10 treatments. First treatment didn't help.

After the 2nd treatment the headaches were gone. After the 3rd one they came back.

After the 4th treatment, headaches gone. After the 5th, headaches back.

Each time they were a little less impairing.

And so on until we reached 10 and we stopped, and no more daily headache. :D

Of course I still have headaches like I've always had, but no more of the horrible

daily headaches ... every ... single ... day.

I wish I could afford to get a treatment every time I get a migraine, like today.

Just like with hypnosis, it may not work for everyone.

Stimulant meds don't work for everyone with ADHD either.

I had to try 4 meds for hypertension before one worked without side effects.

I'm glad I didn't give up when the first acupuncture treatment didn't work.

Candyman
03-22-14, 04:25 PM
Interesting Lunacie. My problem is that I always feel like I'm in a state of hypnosis that I can't get out of. My brain drifts into a hypnotic daze. This is why I can't concentrate, and have ADD. So getting into the trance isn't a problem. But the message has no effect.

Lunacie
03-22-14, 04:28 PM
I cannot relax, so I was surprised the acupuncture worked.

The doctor could not understand why I couldn't relax in the darkened room

with the needles in place for just 20 minutes.

Since I've never tried hypnosis, I haven't thought about why it might, or might not, work.

PatrickH
03-24-14, 01:32 PM
When you say you tried hypnosis, did you go to an actual hypnotherapist, or did you buy some self-hypnosis CD's? There is a big difference.

When doing hypnosis with a client, you have to build rapport first, otherwise they will not trust you, and your suggestions will not take affect. Also, there are things a hypnotherapist can look for to judge what state the client is in, and what ways they are suggestible. For example, if you are dealing with someone who is not a visual person, and you tell them to "visualize a waterfall", it's not going to happen. Telling them to "Imagine a waterfall" (to hear it, feel the spray, etc.) might get them a better result. Also, with some people you have to be literal ("Your hand is stuck to the table"), and with others you have to imply ("Imagine there are 15 heavy blankets on top of your hand"). All thses little nuances are hard to convey if you are not in person.

So, I wouldn't dismiss hypnotherapy as 'an obvious scam', as there is alot that is involved in the process.

Daydreamin22
03-24-14, 01:43 PM
You could go to a list of apps for smartphones. You don't have to dl it bc there's usually a website. Also search in google how to google search. It's kind of a minny lesson so after realizing it changes everything for the better I abandoned it to google a random thought. Does anyone else have a big problem with that?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't. I've been through it with the noggin. It can handle anything. I'm working out three causes for my not remembering the first two days of work. The thing is, I'll never be qualified enough to state what caused that to happen. The more I figure things out the more people don't want to hear it. And that's the least of my problems. But I'm ok. I just want my family to stop worrying.

At this point I would love to be hypnotized by a good person. Last part would be vital.
I just said this.

Candyman
03-24-14, 08:31 PM
When you say you tried hypnosis, did you go to an actual hypnotherapist, or did you buy some self-hypnosis CD's? There is a big difference.

When doing hypnosis with a client, you have to build rapport first, otherwise they will not trust you, and your suggestions will not take affect. Also, there are things a hypnotherapist can look for to judge what state the client is in, and what ways they are suggestible. For example, if you are dealing with someone who is not a visual person, and you tell them to "visualize a waterfall", it's not going to happen. Telling them to "Imagine a waterfall" (to hear it, feel the spray, etc.) might get them a better result. Also, with some people you have to be literal ("Your hand is stuck to the table"), and with others you have to imply ("Imagine there are 15 heavy blankets on top of your hand"). All thses little nuances are hard to convey if you are not in person.

So, I wouldn't dismiss hypnotherapy as 'an obvious scam', as there is alot that is involved in the process.

Most was CD's and stuff I bought on the internet. I went to a hypnotherapist several times, and once he told me it would take 6 months of therapy, once a week, at $130.00 a session, I knew it was a sham. Even if I could afford it, it would be impossible to take off work that often without getting fired. The hypnosis didn't work anyway. For some reason, I always felt paranoid and anxious when I went into his office. I had a sense that something was going on around me secretly, that he wasn't telling me about. I also felt a strange pulsing inside my head similar to brainwave entrainment, but I don't know where it was coming from.

Has anybody tried the 8 Coil Shakti? Sounds like another big sham. LOL!
http://www.shaktitechnology.com/winshakti/rotating/index.htm