View Full Version : how do I get my computer to work on Standby

auntchris
03-23-05, 05:03 PM
I have this undying question .....how do i get my computer to go on standby. I know when i logg off but when I wiggle the mous e it does not work. Is there something I have to do to make it work on Standby....Help:eek:

ttjmom
03-23-05, 05:12 PM
Go to settings, then control panel, then display, then screen saver, then power adjust your settings there.

RhapsodyInBlue
03-24-05, 12:04 AM
Hope you have enough RAM for standby, Chris. ;) If you can't wake your PC up, there isn't enough RAM.

auntchris
03-24-05, 02:02 AM
Thanks ttj and Viktoria...I tried it but I get a little green box that say something my compter will not allow it I think due to something I will let ya know when I log off and add it tomorrow

auntchris
03-24-05, 02:03 AM
it said it cant go on stand by because of device driver program what does that mean?

RhapsodyInBlue
03-24-05, 03:10 PM
it said it cant go on stand by because of device driver program what does that mean?
Chris, try it again, and then when you see the error, write it down and post it here. :)

FoggyPhil
04-05-05, 08:58 AM
Not sure if you are still having this problem or not.... I'd be curious to know what make of pc you have, and how old, since some are notoriously bad at power management. Also, The device driver not allowing you to go into standby is an issue I've only seen with some video cards and wireless cards. Let us know if you've made any progress.

auntchris
04-13-05, 01:57 AM
Okay here is what it says.

Advanced Power Management
Your computer can not go on standby
because a device driver or program wont allow
it. Close all open programs, and then try again.

that is what the green box says.

ttj, Is this what you were saying . to go to control panel
* go to power management
* Okay when I get there I dont know how to change what to get in on standby and be able to shut down later.

any help in detail will be help ful.

FoggyPhil
04-13-05, 08:58 AM
I don't know what programs would prevent standby off the top of my head, but if you have a video card, or sound card, or network card, etc.. that doesn't have power management enabled, it would do that. Look at each card in device manager, look at the properties, advanced tab. Somewhere in there, maybe a list, maybe a check box, you should be able to enable power management for that device.

auntchris
04-14-05, 12:49 AM
All I know is I have 240MB RAM . I could not find out the cards phil

HighFunctioning
04-22-05, 04:41 PM
As far as the wake up issue, your computer may be trying to go into ACPI state S3 (Suspend-to-RAM). You can usually tell if the computer is in this state because it usually shuts off the power supply fan (the computer goes silent). You may want to look in your BIOS setup program for an option that disables S3 and forces Windows to use S1 (Standby). I know that this isn't a real answer, but it will still save some power.

RhapsodyInBlue
04-23-05, 10:32 AM
As far as the wake up issue, your computer may be trying to go into ACPI state S3 (Suspend-to-RAM). You can usually tell if the computer is in this state because it usually shuts off the power supply fan (the computer goes silent). You may want to look in your BIOS setup program for an option that disables S3 and forces Windows to use S1 (Standby). I know that this isn't a real answer, but it will still save some power.

:eek: :eek: :eek: High Functioning....most people are terrified of the BIOS. I think you are going to be asked many questions.....:D

HighFunctioning
04-23-05, 02:32 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: High Functioning....most people are terrified of the BIOS. I think you are going to be asked many questions.....:D

Before working for an apiary (bee farm), I was terrified of bees, wasps, and hornets. Now, I am only terrified of wasps and hornets. There is a first time for everything! As long as one stays clear of the option pages with a lot of hexadecimal numbers... :rolleyes:

mccoffee
04-23-05, 06:52 PM
what windows veserion you are running Aunt also is your comptuer a dell hp if so state make and model and model number usually on the case in front or a sticker on back??

auntchris
04-23-05, 11:55 PM
I have window 98 . iti is a Intel . I dont see any model number on back or front

mccoffee
04-23-05, 11:58 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1f381e3a-ab4a-461b-822d-a24eba25c367&DisplayLang=en this should take care of your promblem

RhapsodyInBlue
04-24-05, 09:25 AM
Before working for an apiary (bee farm), I was terrified of bees, wasps, and hornets. Now, I am only terrified of wasps and hornets. There is a first time for everything! As long as one stays clear of the option pages with a lot of hexadecimal numbers... :rolleyes:
Very true, High Functioning, and I agree in total. But I meant "most" people are terrified of the BIOS and might make a big mess:cool: , no, not me, and why stay clear of all the interesting things?:D Hex? Fun!:cool:

~Viktoria

auntchris
04-24-05, 01:07 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1f381e3a-ab4a-461b-822d-a24eba25c367&DisplayLang=en this should take care of your promblem
It worked, Mccoffe thanks. How do you all know so much. :D

Viktoria what is a BIOS anyway? I didnt even know where to look for it.:faint:

mccoffee
04-24-05, 02:03 PM
bios is basic input output system that holds what is called cmos which holds your computer configuration before windows is even loaded it's a way that allows windows or whatever operating sytem to know what devices are installed before windows or linux whatever is on the hard drive or installed.

To get into cmos setup or bios rofl this one prof anyway you hit del or f1 or one of the other function keys right when it starts each bios manufacture is different so it might take a while to do find out what key it is for the bios or cmos setup

I'm a certified computer tech aunt :) glad it worked for ya

ATInick
03-14-06, 04:42 PM
bios is not a thing to mess with get the wrong thing for it youll probably need a new cmos battery or a new mb

auntchris
04-30-06, 03:23 PM
Oh bye theh way, I got a new Dell computer last year for school for my birthday and christmas. Now it works on Standyby...thanks for all you help everyone.

dormammau2008
04-30-06, 04:02 PM
;.))) how was it fixed in the end dorm

auntchris
04-30-06, 04:19 PM
it wasnt nothing seemed to work. My dad took it 5 time to the Pc shop in a year , he was [aying more for the repairs than he paid for the computer.

It was a used computer.

dormammau2008
04-30-06, 09:32 PM
thanks chris dorm

dormammau2008
04-30-06, 09:33 PM
thanks chris dorm for saying :p