View Full Version : Bipolar and Adderall

STADOD_
03-24-14, 05:24 PM
I have ADD and my doctor thinks I might have bipolar and is giving me 100mg of Seroquel to get me to sleep and 10mg of Adderall to focus (not working). I've noticed the Seroquel gets me extremely drowsy but it also is impossible for me to sleep, everytime I would close my eyes to sleep, I get an annoying urge to fidget and thus keeping me up for hours. After telling my doctor this he said just keep taking it and the drowsiness should ware off, and also prescribed me sleeping pills. He told me that he is giving me Seroquel to rule out bipolar, how would taking Seroquel rule out me having bipolar?

fracturedstory
03-27-14, 01:54 AM
I'm not really sure but I think maybe he's trying to see if you have a sleep disorder instead of bipolar. Seroqual is a sleeping med? I think it's also anti-convulsive. I have no idea. My friend took it among with other mood stabilisers and anti-depressants. She was diagnosed with bipolar.

I'm thinking it's my bipolar keeping me up at nights.

sarahsweets
03-27-14, 04:21 AM
I do not agree with any doctor using any medication to rule out a disorder. They dont give people chemo to rule out cancer.

TygerSan
03-27-14, 06:29 AM
Seroquil is a heavy duty med to use as a sleep aid. It's an antipsychotic at higher doses.

I know a fair number of people who take both an antipsychotic and a stimulant successfully, but given the way both drugs work, I'm always a bit puzzled as to how the one drug doesn't partially cancel out the effects of the other.

Rjinnx
04-01-14, 10:44 AM
I have ADD and my doctor thinks I might have bipolar and is giving me 100mg of Seroquel to get me to sleep and 10mg of Adderall to focus (not working). I've noticed the Seroquel gets me extremely drowsy but it also is impossible for me to sleep, everytime I would close my eyes to sleep, I get an annoying urge to fidget and thus keeping me up for hours. After telling my doctor this he said just keep taking it and the drowsiness should ware off, and also prescribed me sleeping pills. He told me that he is giving me Seroquel to rule out bipolar, how would taking Seroquel rule out me having bipolar?
It doesn't. Seroquel is often used as medication for bipolar disorder. Medication can't rule out a disorder anyway. Seroquel is used as a stabilizer as well as an anti-psychotic. It works for others and it doesn't for others.

I'm on Seroquel for bipolar disorder, it doesn't help so I've asked to get off it (since I'm getting re-evaluated as well). But Seroquel definitely doesn't rule out bipolar (wtf?).