View Full Version : Steven Ilardi - The Depression Cure: Therapeutic Lifestyle Change for Depression

JohnnyV
03-25-14, 10:32 PM
Any one read the book in its entirety yet?

I have it but haven't read it yet.

His lecture really made a profound impact on me and has given me some useful advice on how to conquer depression through implementing certain lifestyle changes.

I have started to spend more time with family, and have started taking more than 1000 mg of EPA fish oil per day.

My increased consumption of 1000 mg of EPA fish oil has been an incredibly recent development, and I think I have been seeing some improvements, in my overall mood, but it may be too early to tell since it has only been less than a week.

A few bullet points of interesting facts that I took down as I was watching his lecture:

25% of Generation Y has Depressive Illness

1 in 9 Americans (over the age of 12) is currently taking an antidepressant

Average teenager spends 9.5 hours a day with a screen

59% of Americans do no physical activity at all

30 minutes of brisk walking a week is more effective than Zoloft

Biological Age of those who work out is 10-15 years younger than those who do not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDFEbsGRlA

JohnnyV
03-25-14, 10:34 PM
Here's the TED Talk for those of you who can't spend two hours watching the above lecture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bnniNxqB4w

sarek
03-26-14, 05:05 AM
Within the framework of my own path I am seeking lifestyle changes also. So far, they have already helped me make some progress.

Fuzzy12
03-26-14, 05:13 AM
Within the framework of my own path I am seeking lifestyle changes also. So far, they have already helped me make some progress.

If you don't mind sharing sarek, what life style changes have you made?

fracturedstory
03-26-14, 06:10 AM
I've been taking over 1000mg of fish oil too but only to get focused. I basically take it instead of a stimulant. It works but makes me more hyper afterwards. It like my brain recovers by becoming hyperactive. Sometimes I get tired and fatigued after focusing for a long time but I usually do get hyper. Anyway, It's the best way I can stay focused and it does help me with my depressive symptoms too.

I would say exercise and eating healthy can help too. Also, finding out what foods set you off. It's important to recognize where the depression comes from too. Mine is mostly from a mood disorder and hormone imbalance. Sometimes even all the methods I have in place are not enough to keep it away.

sarek
03-26-14, 07:51 AM
If you don't mind sharing sarek, what life style changes have you made?

I've just now posted this somewhere else but I will reiterate:

- mindfulness has cleared a great deal of automatic and obsessive thinking from my head.
- I have started building in regular walks into my routine. At least one good long walk per week, but as daylight hours are extending again I will take up my practice of a walk after dinner again.
- I am doing daily exercises not only at the start of the day, but also in between to break the routine.
- I am attempting to multi task less. You wouldnt believe how tiring to the mind multitasking can be. Its an illusion to think it makes you go faster.
- I am learning (since last week in fact) to cut back on excessive reading. I need to get out of my mind space and into my heart and body space more.
- In the process of checking out Reiki to see if it will work for me. I am not just reading about it but actually going to an introduction night.
- I have made dietary changes. I completely cut all added sugar from everything. I also strongly reduced caffeine intake. I switched to non fluoride toothpaste. I am going slowly with these changes to A) get it right and B) build new habits

Corina86
03-26-14, 09:06 AM
I don't think it's just about exercise and food. I was depressed as a teen and I know others who have been and definitely didn't have the typical American lifestyle.

1. First of all, people have always been depressed, but the only "treatment" they had was usually alcohol; once society started discouraging drinking, even in males, and the rate of alcoholism dropped, people had to face their own issues; in Romania, 39% of people are binge drinkers according to statistics;

2. Also, people are now seeking treatment for their disorder, instead of suffering in silence, which is what depressed individuals did until recently (besides drinking); so, just like ADHD, anxiety and everything else, better diagnosis means a rise of the number of sufferers

3. Although depression is genetic and it is caused by chemicals in the brain, I do believe that negative environment and experiences make it worse and plenty of people have it bad from one reason or another, but statistics over depression never mention things like poverty, unemployment, medical issues, family and relationship issues etc- statistics make it sound like people are depressed just because

4. Most of the lifestyle changes that have to be made to help treat depression don't recognize all these other issues people might have, which often prevent them from living the way they would want to; example: an autistic kid who has no friends, so he plays all day in front of the computer and is depressed.

Yes, we should all eat good food and exercise, just make sure that, if this isn't enough to help you with depression, you should definitely seek medical treatment.

Lunacie
03-26-14, 09:29 AM
Is this lecturer talking about situational depression, or about clinical depression?

I just wonder if he feels the same "cure" will work for both kinds?

JohnnyV
04-08-14, 04:04 PM
Is this lecturer talking about situational depression, or about clinical depression?

I just wonder if he feels the same "cure" will work for both kinds?

He's talking about clinical depression.

I'm not sure if it's best to view his cure as a panacea to end all symptoms instantaneously once and for all.

I think it's better to view his program as a way to minimize debilitating depressive symptoms through the implementation of lifestyle and health changes over a period of time.