View Full Version : I wanna quit

Gilthranon
03-26-14, 07:00 AM
This morning forgot to take Lamictal. I noticed cause I was a bit more emotional. Obviously. Just took em, I felt the diff within minutes. This is when it occurred to me I really don't like feeling that difference mornings and evenings like 'becoming myself' again and without meds I don't have to 'return to myself'

Definitely wanna avoid growing addicted as I've always managed to handle myself without - perhaps not as successful - if it's only to have to regulate myself a bit more, I'm willing to take that effort. 'It's just for now' but what guarantees I won't keep on for 10 years ? It's only emotions so stopping wouldn't imply that much. And I would, for the first time since my 19th be hundred percent natural again. So many other that do it without,

Some hesitation, like the 'smooth' feeling' and calmed anxiety, but it's only because I know the difference. Ignorance is a bliss ey ?

BellaVita
03-26-14, 07:06 AM
I'm not getting it.

It helps you, but you wanna quit?

Gilthranon
03-26-14, 07:23 AM
(I fear addiction and really don't like the feeling when it wears off. I feel like an 'emotional' case which I'm not). You have a point... :rolleyes::eyebrow:

Gilthranon
03-26-14, 02:11 PM
The principle was mostly : I wanna go back to myself, free as a bird, no meds no therapy natural living when I was a kid. The <second principle is being against meds. The third one is hating to tell people I'm on meds and my good state is due to that.
But the argument is the good feeling without side effects or addiction or obligation and second one mostly : achieve incredibly high ambitions, any help appreciated. Solution : keep on for the moment and can stop whenever I choose to.

Thnx Bella (expected more replies)

Nicksgonefishin
03-26-14, 03:06 PM
I often too wonder.... like the song "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then".(thought it pertained to infidelity and not adhd) The problem is we can't unknow what we know. It would be nice to be blissfully unaware again but that is a daydream stuck in the past. Reality is that those days are over and it is time to live with the knowledge we have now and the situations at hand.

ADHD meds are like glasses. I've never heard someone say "I'm so addicted to my glasses"

Amentis
03-26-14, 04:03 PM
It's always interesting how mental health is treated differently than other medical issues. For me, my ADHD is an illness or disorder with some consequences. I like sometimes how I feel without the medication, but sometimes I need to think differently to interact with the environments I have chosen to in a way my disorder does not allow.

Addiction with a lot of ADHD medications is a valid concern, but addiction is defined as "continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences." What are the consequences of taking it? Are you taking more than the prescribed dose? If you take the medication in the does monitored and observed by your doctor for 10 years, you're not addicted. You're just taking your medication.

Part of the reason I actually like the stimulants is that I can have "both brains" in a day. I take the med in the morning before work, and it's worn off by the time I get home. I don't take it on weekends, because I don't need the "treated" brain the medication gives me on those days. If I know I'm going to have a day at work where the medication isn't as needed because my ADHD symptoms won't be a problem, I don't necessarily have to take the ADHD meds that day. All of this done with the supervision and approval of my doc.

Stevuke79
03-26-14, 04:21 PM
You asked: ... what guarantees I won't keep on for 10 years ? These medications are meant to be permanent and nothing will change in ten years whether or not you continue. Either way you decide, you should do so "with your head up" and understand what to expect.

"It's only emotions so stopping wouldn't imply that much. "
"they're only electrons..." - Albert Einstein

sarahsweets
03-27-14, 04:46 AM
what is the lamictal prescribed for?

Gilthranon
03-27-14, 10:23 AM
Epilepsy. Don't have it but instead of shock-waves of emotions (again, don't have this extreme) one has 'normal' hills.