View Full Version : Always-on anxiety?

DistractedLemur
03-26-14, 07:24 PM
Always-on anxiety. What's that all about? Anyone ever had it?

I did last year for about 6-8 weeks, just a constant low level state of being ON, like in 'fight or flight' mode the whole time. And then every little noise or people talking in the street outside or whatever would peak the level up. Only slept when I was so tired that I passed out and even then had bad dreams and woke up at the slightest sound.

Really weird, I just can't understand it at all.

BellaVita
03-26-14, 07:26 PM
Yep.

Have this nonstop.

Couldn't even sleep last night except for a few hours due to it + racing thoughts/energy.

This keeps happening...

Atleast we're hyperaware...in case danger comes after us! :rolleyes:

BellaVita
03-26-14, 07:27 PM
Do you have PTSD by chance?

DistractedLemur
03-26-14, 07:37 PM
Yep.

Have this nonstop.

Really!? That's horrible! :grouphug:

PTSD, I don't know, it's possible maybe a bit, I don't know... :(

BellaVita
03-26-14, 07:44 PM
Really!? That's horrible! :grouphug:

PTSD, I don't know, it's possible maybe a bit, I don't know... :(

Yeah, especially as of late I ran out of klonis and quit my Lexapro.

(I need to see a new psychiatrist as I'm in a new state now)

Could be PTSD...

Have you talked to your doctor about it?

:grouphug:

Bad dreams, being easily awakened, constant fight-or-flight, constant low-level anxiety...sounds like it could be.

Or any sort of withdrawals?

I have OCD and GAD. Do you have one of those or any other diagnosed anxiety disorder?

DistractedLemur
03-26-14, 08:04 PM
No, no meds or withdrawals.

Is that the one where you wander around feeling like you've been erased and you can't really remember who you are as a person or really feel feelings the way you should and just feel numb?

Talk to a doctor? Why would I need to talk to anyone, I talk to you guys?! :cackle:

BellaVita
03-26-14, 08:12 PM
No, no meds or withdrawals.

Is that the one where you wander around feeling like you've been erased and you can't really remember who you are as a person or really feel feelings the way you should and just feel numb?

Talk to a doctor? Why would I need to talk to anyone, I talk to you guys?! :cackle:

No, I think I know what you're referring to but I don't know what it's called.

Yeah, a doctor could help you out if it becomes too much of an issue.

Which to me, it definitely sounds like an issue as it's disrupting your life.

We're great here, but we can't do anything to help you to the degree of which you likely need help.

DistractedLemur
03-26-14, 08:30 PM
Apparently I should have looked for help quite a while back! I don't seem to be very good at asking for help.

BellaVita
03-26-14, 08:34 PM
Apparently I should have looked for help quite a while back! I don't seem to be very good at asking for help.

It's okay, anxiety makes it difficult to do these types of things.

DistractedLemur
03-26-14, 08:45 PM

It's okay, anxiety makes it difficult to do these types of things.

Well it was more the crushing depression, the anxiety was just a fun new twist, but yeah same effect. Shut out the world instead of seeking any help. :rolleyes:

daveddd
03-26-14, 08:47 PM
feel your pain there

did that for years

BellaVita
03-26-14, 08:49 PM
Well it was more the crushing depression, the anxiety was just a fun new twist, but yeah same effect. Shut out the world instead of seeking any help. :rolleyes:

Awwwwwww. :grouphug:

that is just..:(

Corina86
03-27-14, 06:50 AM
I have anxiety for no reason (or reasons I can't figure out, at least), also social anxiety (which adds up to my default anxiety) and really really lousy tolerance to stress. Plus, I'm panicky and the panic attacks trigger lots of unpleasant reactions in my stomach and intestines...

I don't have PTSD. I don't know what's up with anxiety or why I have it, but I always did, even as a child, even if it was for stupid reasons (being literally scared of my own shadow or mirrors or bugs). I just think something in my brain is broken I can't shut down the fight/flight/freeze reactions in it.

I took Cipralex (escitalopram) and it made me a zombie, so I quit taking it.

Interestingly, I have very little anxiety when I'm on the move. And even less when I'm alone. It's why pacing around the room is my main hobby/obsession and it also provides most comfort, along with walking and hiking. It confirms my theory that it's just my brain trying to make me run away from some imaginary threat(s).

inbetweenshades
04-22-14, 11:20 AM
I have never heard it called that, but I have certainly experienced it. I've had periods of anxiety off and on throughout my lifetime. Before I had a child, a trip to my doctor and a months worth of prescribed Valium usually did the trick. I would be fine for several more years, until something came along and triggered it again.

Things have changed for me since then, and I have to take anti-anxiety meds daily now, but that's just me.

My advice is to be honest with your doctor. Tell them exactly what has been going on with you, and include everything you have tried to deal with your anxiety. You could even go somewhere like WebMD and take an online anxiety test, print out the results and take it with you on your next visit.
Soooo many different things could be causing your anxiety. It could be environmental, or PTSD, who knows? But one thing is certain. Long term anxiety can cause a myriad of health problems that you don't want to have to deal with, trust me.
Better an ounce of prevention, and all that.
Best of luck to you. :)

Abi
04-22-14, 11:32 AM
Generalised Anxiety Disorder. I've had it since childhood.

The best medication for it is Clonazepam (Klonopin/Rivotril)

0.5 mg twice or thrice daily should work for a start. You may want to augment it with an antidepressant; Zoloft tends to come highly recommended.