View Full Version : Possibly social anxiety?

Telmach
03-26-14, 07:50 PM
Hi there,

2 parts to this, input on any part of it would be appreciated.

I'm hoping to gain some insight to my little habit, so any info, experiences, or thoughts would be appreciated. I think I'm somewhat social, I have a good amount of friends and what not, but every now and then when I am talking to a friend (very rarely even family) or especially to someone I don't really know, my face just freezes, it becomes hard to control my facial expression, I know my smile looks ingenuine and that I noticeably look uncomfortable.

Before when i had just started adderall it made my nervousness go away, i became much more social (except for the comedowns as i would definitely try my best to avoid people). But a year or so later it had made my nervousness a bit worse. I'm on strattera now and it makes social situations a tiny tiny bit easier but its not doing anything for attention control. I want to tell my doc to put me back on a stimulant, but is there any way to control the anxiety?

Corina86
03-27-14, 06:52 AM
I get that too, but I don't know any way to treat it. Maybe some anti-anxiety medication would help (they did work for me, but had too many side effects, so I quit them). Or some therapy to help you practice talking to someone and maintaining a "normal" expression.

Telmach
03-29-14, 12:08 AM
I get that too, but I don't know any way to treat it. Maybe some anti-anxiety medication would help (they did work for me, but had too many side effects, so I quit them). Or some therapy to help you practice talking to someone and maintaining a "normal" expression.

Hey! Thanks for the reply.

What anti anxiety meds were you on and what dose? And also what were the side effects if you don't mind me asking?

royal1
03-31-14, 07:06 AM
It is really an awesome news that you are really being socially aware. It is nice.

Corina86
03-31-14, 03:04 PM
Hey! Thanks for the reply.

What anti anxiety meds were you on and what dose? And also what were the side effects if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry I reply so late!

I took Cipralex (escitalopram) for about 3 months and I had: excessive sleepiness, hardly any emotions, no energy, no sex drive or sexual arousal, nose bleeds, gut bleeds (!) and I've lost even the small amount of motivation I had, which made my ADHD worse. The only good thing was that I shook my insomnia off with it. The dose was 15 mg/day, I think, but I'm not sure. I also had some withdrawal side effects: a feeling of being electrocuted or hit over my head- this lasted for about 3 weeks.

I still take medication when I'm having panic attacks, but this happens maximum 10 times a year: Lorazepam (Anxiar), Bromazepamum (Lexotan), Fenobarbital+valerian (Extraveral). The only side effect I got was sleepiness. They are all addictive and should be taken only for a short amount of time! I only take one, depending on how bad I'm feeling. I've never made a combo out of them. When I have light anxiety, I drink valerian tea, which is good for my nerves, as well as gut and stomach, but it also makes me sleepy though.

USMCcop
03-31-14, 04:24 PM
It's weird how drugs impact people differently. I actually take 40 mg of Lexapro (double the norm) and it's very effective with no noticeable bad side effects. Years ago I took buspar with Zoloft. Buspar (spelling?..) was the worse thing ever. I felt like being shocked in my brain.

someothertime
03-31-14, 04:43 PM
Sounds a bit like distraction... manifesting in awkwardness... can you recall any more details about emotions before or after it?

Telmach
04-03-14, 01:53 AM
@corina86 thanks for the reply! I have my appointment tomorrow so let's hope I'll land something right for me.

Sounds a bit like distraction... manifesting in awkwardness... can you recall any more details about emotions before or after it?
When I had first started adderall I guess when I talked to people I was really into whatever we were talking about and I think it's because eventually I started thinking "they know I'm on something" and this might have led to me being more socially awkward. But then again the entire experience of adderall changed for me, as when I started out I was very excited to get a move on with my life but down the road I started to become very type A personality like and very stressed out (especially on the crashes).

But it's not just drug related as a little while back I started having strange symptoms on stims (get tired sometimes, very cold hands, etc) so my doc made me go off the meds and made me see a cardiologist (everything retorted to be fine). During that period I would still get this weird reaction.

It seems to be triggered by various situations. Once I was talking to my cousin and someone fraud her phone account into an upgrade (the upgraded phone was shipped to a rented mail box or something) and for some reason I often get a feeling of "I hope they don't think I did it" and BAM can't control my own facial muscles. This memory sticks out to me because it's my own family for God's sake.

Another situation that triggers it is meeting new people or to much eye contact with people.

Or taking to a girl I find attractive.

Also when I have to talk to a group of strangers.

The only thing that seems to help is alcohol or the post-workout state of mind that lasts like 2 hours.

I hate it because consciously I can see that it's stupid and doesn't make sense to be afraid of people, so I still go up to them and talk and what not in hopes that my brain will realize there is nothing to be afraid of (unless I'm on a crash, then I'll heavily avoid people) but it doesn't get it.

/end rant

someothertime
04-03-14, 10:38 AM
hey, thanks for adding some detail...

yeah, this is sounding more like social anxiety... not so much distraction... the thing with anxiety is "noticing" or more importantly.... prejudging what others think compounds it...

so, best thing to do would be to talk to a therapist... usually they can drill down a bit and tie in the trigger with some sort of previous experience / thinking style etc. etc.

what is more relevant is that you are "switched" from fearing these emotions, to just recognising them..... and having a better grasp on effective self talk / refocus / any other tools that might reign in the energies so they get to a level where your able to "keep presence" or "redirect" so that your aware yet, channel that sensation into expression or some sort of outlet that does not involve stress...

i wonder if large groups are an issue? people in your bodyspace? ( lol, that is for most people ) but i guess i mean more like freeze / panic rather than dislike / discomfort.....

either way... this is perhaps an inhibitor on occasion.... it's a blockage of flow.... it's no flaw... keep paying attention to it, though smile next time you see it.... ( if possible )....... also, merely telling the person "i am a little in awe/shy/whatever" and bringing it out in the short term should help you to move past some of the "pressure" it's putting on you....

keep stepping out... keep smiling at it.... the more you show it that your prepared to see where it's coming from the less it will "grab" you...

Telmach
04-04-14, 12:18 AM
[QUOTE=someothertime;1633607
i wonder if large groups are an issue? people in your bodyspace? ( lol, that is for most people ) but i guess i mean more like freeze / panic rather than dislike / discomfort.....
[/QUOTE]

Hey thank you for the suggestions I'll def be trying to change my fear of it into an observation.

And speaking in front of a group is also an issue but I don't mind crowded places so much. They do stress me out and I tend to try to avoid crowded places but I won't go out of my way to do it. And I havent really had anyone invade my private space recently (aside from friends or family, whom I don't mind doing so) so I don't know how I would really react to be honest.