View Full Version : Personality disorders?

Braink37
03-27-14, 06:27 PM
Are people insane? YES!!! However people with good cognition use their frontal cortex to supress their 'personality disorders' ADHD causes a lack of controlling your personality. I've had every symptom of every one of them from time to time. Yes you could go to a therapist that will make you think differently, or you can just treat your add, so you can supress those urges from your personality. There's probably those few people out there with happy disorder though.

Fortune
03-27-14, 06:31 PM
Are people insane? YES!!! However people with good cognition use their frontal cortex to supress their 'personality disorders' ADHD causes a lack of controlling your personality. I've had every symptom of every one of them from time to time. Yes you could go to a therapist that will make you think differently, or you can just treat your add, so you can supress those urges from your personality. There's probably those few people out there with happy disorder though.

I don't think it works that way.

Fuzzy12
03-27-14, 06:33 PM
I don't think it works that way.

For a moment I was thrilled when I read the op.:umm1:

Fortune
03-27-14, 09:49 PM
I specifically meant the good cognition bit. I don't know if that helps.

Nicksgonefishin
03-27-14, 10:13 PM
Insane is such a mean word. I prefer mentally creative.

I'm sure if the OP illucidated better there is a good point that was intended.

But I disagree about simply treating the adhd... I think secretly that those of us that have adhd are secretly treated for our PD traits.(oh snap!) I mean isn't that the whole point of therapy?(well beyond making you feel ok with being you and raising your self esteem and... and... and...)

Oh back on track. Therapy doesn't make you think differently. It helps you accept what you're already thinking. :)

I just reread fortunes post... If one does have "good" cognition then by defenition they accept the world the way it is and wouldn't have a PD. The OP is suggesting that all humans have a PD. squirrel!

Corina86
03-28-14, 06:27 AM
ADHD-ers don't have good cognition? Maybe we're more emotional and less balanced than others, but in terms of thinking and reason, most people here seem really really well endowed. We just don't use that all the time... Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by cognition.

daveddd
03-28-14, 06:39 AM
ADHD-ers don't have good cognition? Maybe we're more emotional and less balanced than others, but in terms of thinking and reason, most people here seem really really well endowed. We just don't use that all the time... Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by cognition.

adhd is definitely moving towards an emotional disorder and away from a cognitive disorder

but emotions greatly effect cognition

cognition is also a very broad word

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognition

SB_UK
03-28-14, 07:59 AM
People want to be happy (which is a feeling) and not smart particularly - unless they think (falsely) that being smart (whatever that means) will make them happy.

Take a physics teacher and plonk them in an elementary grade music or english literature exam - and they'll flunk.

So - we've a definition of happy which all people can be - and a lop-sided definition of smart which nobody can be.

ADDers - definitely stressed in dumbo world - disorder expressed emotionally.
Emotionally (stress) of course - clouds cognitive ability - harder to think.

But ultimately we're stressed because we're doing 'stuff' which not only brings no reward, but which brings pain.

So - emotional disorder all the way.

SB_UK
03-28-14, 08:14 AM
What do i find dexedrine does ?
Constant stress leads to tiredness, inability to concentrate, general lethargy

- dexedrine puts some life back into the deadbeat beast.

It is tiring (really wears you out) living life without any reward / performing (constantly) acts which bring pain.

-*-

What's the goal ?
To discover what brings us reward.

What ?
Fun - not wage slavery.

Many of the 'things' we do in society can be manipulated into being fun - as long as there's no compulsion to do them.
Once compulsion enters the equation - we soon find ourselves bulk uploading nonsense into our noodles.

Cooked noodles make for scrambled eggs.

Nicksgonefishin
03-28-14, 03:03 PM
adhd is definitely moving towards an emotional disorder and away from a cognitive disorder

but emotions greatly effect cognition

cognition is also a very broad word

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognition

And "Emotion" is a very perceptive word making it all the more fun to decipher!

DistractedLemur
03-28-14, 07:51 PM
What I think you may be struggling with is this: defining an 'illness' by listing a bunch of behavioural traits together, then 'diagnosing' it by checking off a list and prescribing drugs to 'cure' that 'illness' because the drugs have a potential side-effect of damping observed 'symptoms' of that 'illness', and only then after the fact searching for evidence that illness even exists in the first place is bat-**** crazy.

It's not much more sane than prescribing 'drilling holes in the head to release satanic vapors' as a cure for depression. I mean, most patients will never complain about depression ever again. 99% success rate, right?

There is a philosophical point here; prescribing drugs alone as a solution is like saying we are just powerless soulless automatons, sacs of chemicals.
"Your Dad died and you feel sad? Sounds like Major Depressive Disorder, take two of these."
"Six year old won't eat her greens or go to bed on time? Oppositional Defiant Disorder, drug her with these." Bat-**** crazy.

End of the day we all still have problems. It's your responsibility to think about what these problems are, where they come from and what you can do to solve them. Could this mean getting prescribed stimulants? Maybe, why not? I <3 amphetamines, but they are a blunt force tool, not a 'cure' .

I like to believe we have free will and self determination and also are shaped by responses to our environment.

Lunacie
03-28-14, 08:56 PM
Yes, meds and therapy together are much better and more effective than meds alone.

But neither one is supposed to be a "cure" anymore than glasses "cures" nearsightedness.

These things are treatments, not cures.

daveddd
03-28-14, 11:35 PM
What I think you may be struggling with is this: defining an 'illness' by listing a bunch of behavioural traits together, then 'diagnosing' it by checking off a list and prescribing drugs to 'cure' that 'illness' because the drugs have a potential side-effect of damping observed 'symptoms' of that 'illness', and only then after the fact searching for evidence that illness even exists in the first place is bat-**** crazy.

It's not much more sane than prescribing 'drilling holes in the head to release satanic vapors' as a cure for depression. I mean, most patients will never complain about depression ever again. 99% success rate, right?

There is a philosophical point here; prescribing drugs alone as a solution is like saying we are just powerless soulless automatons, sacs of chemicals.
"Your Dad died and you feel sad? Sounds like Major Depressive Disorder, take two of these."
"Six year old won't eat her greens or go to bed on time? Oppositional Defiant Disorder, drug her with these." Bat-**** crazy.

End of the day we all still have problems. It's your responsibility to think about what these problems are, where they come from and what you can do to solve them. Could this mean getting prescribed stimulants? Maybe, why not? I <3 amphetamines, but they are a blunt force tool, not a 'cure' .

I like to believe we have free will and self determination and also are shaped by responses to our environment.

depression is generally ruled out for recent grief

ODD should be defined by callus traits

everything!! in the dsm is nothing more than a group of symptoms

can you expand on your thoughts?

sarahsweets
03-29-14, 04:01 AM
I love this.

Oh back on track. Therapy doesn't make you think differently. It helps you accept what you're already thinking. :)
!

Lunacie
03-29-14, 10:29 AM
depression is generally ruled out for recent grief

ODD should be defined by callus traits

everything!! in the dsm is nothing more than a group of symptoms

can you expand on your thoughts?

You may be thinking of Conduct Disorder rather than ODD.

Conduct Disorder is linked to a lack of empathy and low level of fear.

My granddaughter has ODD - the traits are anger, hostility and defiance.

Hers is definitely linked to her Autism, that makes life very frustrating for her.

daveddd
03-29-14, 10:33 AM
You may be thinking of Conduct Disorder rather than ODD.

Conduct Disorder is linked to a lack of empathy and low level of fear.

My granddaughter has ODD - the traits are anger, hostility and defiance.

Hers is definitely linked to her Autism, that makes life very frustrating for her.

ok state vs trait

odd - state-most often induced by poor emotional regulation (adhd, autism)

CD-trait-no empathy callous

about right?

Lunacie
03-29-14, 10:44 AM
ok state vs trait

odd - state-most often induced by poor emotional regulation (adhd, autism)

CD-trait-no empathy callous

about right?

That's my understanding of the two things.

Of course, people have long thought that the Autistic don't have empathy,

when actually most do but they have to close it off with other senses because

everything seems overwhelming to them.

daveddd
03-29-14, 10:46 AM
i think the difference is not expressing empathy because of overwhelmed

and actively doing things that support you have no empathy

Lunacie
03-29-14, 10:50 AM

Yes. Well said.

Braink37
03-29-14, 02:44 PM
You know how they say adhd is like a Ferrari with bicycle breaks. Well... I'm that nuclear bomb you left sit in the garage only to notice it was frizzeling the other day.

Fortune
03-29-14, 05:19 PM

There are multiple reasons an autistic person might not express empathy, including not knowing how to express empathy.

This makes it sound more intentional than it is. Again, often autistic people don't know how to express empathy and as you said are often overwhelmed by being around other people.

I don't think it can be boiled down to two sentences, though. Or boiled down to emotional dysregulation as a primary feature.

daveddd
03-29-14, 05:43 PM
There are multiple reasons an autistic person might not express empathy, including not knowing how to express empathy.

This makes it sound more intentional than it is. Again, often autistic people don't know how to express empathy and as you said are often overwhelmed by being around other people.

I don't think it can be boiled down to two sentences, though. Or boiled down to emotional dysregulation as a primary feature.

i wasn't talking about autistic people people, the CD callous unemotional, they do things that prove they don't care

cruelty to animals and such

ODD does primarily boil down to emotion dysregulation

daveddd
03-29-14, 05:53 PM
plus remember the lacking of empathy that CD (psychopath) is not something that they would or would not know how to be able to do

its the preconscious emotional mirroring of another human and maybe animal

perspective taking is a how, some psychopaths can pretend to know how to do this well