View Full Version : Depression lifted greatly!

Anastasia
03-29-14, 08:26 PM
I just wanted to say hello to the beautiful people here and give an update on my status. Life has been very busy with many great things and also some very troubling family issues.

I posted a while back about DNA/gene testing, I was a little skeptical. Amtram helped me a lot with understanding what I could not wrap my brain around. The results came back with an MTHFR issue, it's more common than I thought and it is really just a copying error, mutation is a strong word for it. The methylation process needed for folate to metabolize correctly was the issue, along with build up of toxins and free radicals. The latter I am taking care of through lifestyle changes, antioxidants and detox protocols on occasion.

The folate issue was addressed with a medical "food" but it is an Rx called Deplin, (L-Methylfolate) I take 15 mg a day, along with 2,000 mg's of high quality fish-oil. I really did not want to post on the forum until I was sure there was a substantial difference in the way I was feeling, and that it was consistent enough to mention.

About a week into starting the supplements I noticed my thoughts weren't so heavy, some of the impending doom and gloom were lifting. A while after that I was becoming a little more optimistic and most definitely had more energy. That leaden paralysis feeling was gone as well. At this point I was still nervous, kind of like when someone drops an contact lens, don't move, e might step on it! is how I felt for a short while. Long story-short, I would say I have improved a good 75/80%. I answer my phone calls these days, I open the blinds, I can get through the day without a ridiculously long nap, I'm involved and look forward to doing things that I used to love doing. Regarding sticking to plans that are made and me showing up?! so far so good. I still have bad days, but deal with them better. Some learned behaviors that occurred during the depression do pop up, but I try to work through them. Overall, I feel like someone opened the blinds and I took my sunglasses off.

I would never, ever had thought a form of vitamin-b and high doses of fish-oil would be so helpful.

MTHFR, if you read up on it, you will see it's kind of trending and may be more common than thought. Some MTHFR errors are certainly more severe than others. Some web-sites scared the hell out of me, but then I realized those were the ones who sold their own supplements and had financial motives.

If you are Tx resistant for depression and have tried everything, perhaps this may help. Leave no stone unturned.

Besides the Deplin and fish-oil I take N-acetylcysteine (antioxidant), a good multivitamin and Ubiquinol, it's a form of coq10.

I hope everyone here is doing well, I have missed the forum quite a bit.

SunriseD
03-31-14, 11:58 AM
Glad you are having good results!

My husband had a stroke 7 years ago and our doc is convinced it is b/c of his MTHFR mutation. He is homozygous for C677T. We recently found out I am as well! Which means all three of our kids are too. Thank you, genetic dice. :P I've never experienced any symptoms that I know of. My father and his brother died very young of a catastrophic vascular problem and I wonder if it could be related.

Hubby and I are on the generic form of Deplin and I have our kiddos on an OTC B12/methylfolate supplement. I know what you mean about those websites! I did the same thing - panicking about how overwhelmingly complicated it seemed and then googling the site owners and realizing their connections to the supplements they were pushing! Ha ha good old quackery at its best.

I am very interested to see how/if the supplementation will affect my oldest son's ADHD. He's only been on it a couple days so too early to tell. I am skeptical about all the things MTHFR has been implicated in, but since it apparently has some effect on production/uptake of serotonin and dopamine, there does seem to be something there worth investigating.

Amtram
03-31-14, 01:39 PM
The prescription B-vitamins are going to be more readily absorbed than the OTC supplements, so it's good that you're going that route. Many doctors are reluctant to give intravenous B, but you might be a good candidate if you're responding so well. Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Anastasia
03-31-14, 02:11 PM
I'm hetero C677T, please don't quote me, but I think the homozygous result does go a bit further than just the folate issue. As you mentioned, cardiovascular issues are an issue. I am very sorry for the loss of your father and brother. I hope your hubby has had a full recovery.

I'm glad you picked up on those exploitive web-sites as well!

but since it apparently has some effect on production/uptake of serotonin and dopamine, there does seem to be something there worth investigating.<!-- / message -->

Not metabolizing folate has an enormous effect on the amount of neurotransmitters we make. It is vital for their production. That is why, well at least this is what doc told me, antidepressants don't do much for people with this gene error, we don't have a level playing field to begin with. So the antidepressant may work, but we wont get the full benefit from it, if any at all.

What really bothers me is why aren't we tested for this by our Gyn when we are pregnant?! over and over again we here the importance of folate during pregnancy. And if this error is common, how many women aren't getting this? It can lead to the child being born with all types of cognitive troubles. Including speech delay, and my daughter was born with that.

I am a.d.d as well, you asked how your oldest son may do on Deplin in regards to his a.d.d. I can only share my experience so far.

When I found out about the MTHFR I also found out that stimulants and I don't do well together, I'm a poor metabolizer of this family of drugs, so my serum levels build, even on very low doses. So "for me" I had to stop using them.

The Deplin along with the high dose fish-oil has helped me greatly with my depression and a.d.d. How has it helped with the a.d.d? I feel like I can grasp onto behavior therapy when I could NOT before. But that may be because of the depression lifting as well. I am not symptom free but I am managing and improving "little by slowly" as someone told me.

I would highly recommend a quality fish-oil for all involved, especially your oldest son, it is calming and helps with cholesterol as well. I use Solgar full spectrum Omega. But, Deplin and a good fish-oil can be very expensive.

Of course run all of this by your doctor and if he is on a.d.d meds don't stop them. I only mention that I had to due to the circumstances. I get a 90 day supply of Deplin for 125$ through a site recommended by my doctor. You just mail the script or they will fax it. Basically your paying for one month and getting 3 mos worth of the brand name. I will inbox you the name of the company, I have to look through my emails.

Please let me know how it is going, I am very interested to hear how you and your family are doing.

I think it's great you found this out and are able to possibly break an unhealthy family cycle. Like you, I thought of my children immediately.

Anastasia
03-31-14, 02:16 PM
Yes, what Amtram had mentioned. I'm not quite sure the otc products will do the trick.

Thank you Amtram!

Unmanagable
03-31-14, 03:02 PM
I'm so glad to see you back and glad you're feeling relief!! :)

I've found worthwhile and effective OTC products, finally, but you have to dig deep to find the highest quality ingredients while avoiding the distractions of the lower quality options. I had previously only focused on the price tag portion of the label.

I currently use the Solgar brand B12 nuggets, 1000 mcg. Prior to that, I had bought a pricier liquid form of the same thing from my RD, but she's now suggesting some of the same brands/products I get to her other clients to save them money.

Swanson online products is what I use. Having the help and guidance of a registered dietitian and my general practitioner in deciding which ingredients to look for and what is needed to support the other, etc. saved me, for sure. More so the RD than the GP, to be honest. It's a lot to weed through on top of everything else, but it sure rocks when it falls into line.

SunriseD
03-31-14, 04:16 PM
Hm. Well, it's kind of a quandary because my kids are too little to swallow pills, and I don't know of an Rx methylfolate that comes in liquid or chewable. Not to mention not knowing what the dosage would be for kids - their ped has never even heard of this thing and I am on my own in figuring out how to address it. Would be interested in any info on quality OTCs b/c I've just been purchasing based on these factors. Our generic Rx that hubs and I take is only a few bucks. Insurance covers it.

I hear you on the testing, especially if it's as common as they say it is. Our insurance wouldn't pay for the test b/c they claimed its significance in health issues is unproven. But our doc thinks it's going to be the biggest medical discovery since penicillin and will be found to be a contributing factor to dozens of diseases. Lucky us!

My son does well on metadate CD but we had him tested with GeneSight before medicating, which turned out to be a good call since the doc's first choice was Adderall and the tests showed he would not metabolize it at all. This was before we even knew he was homozygous for MTHFR but since the methylphenidate is working for us right now I'm not going to rock the boat.

Fish oil is something I believe in but it is hard to get it into them. The chewables and liquids all taste awful. I try to just serve fish a couple times a week! Big believer in getting what we need from food over manufactured supplements anyway.

Have you seen any side effects from the Deplin? Some of the anecdotes on made it sound like people were at death's door after taking it. But the man and I have never noticed a thing, positive or negative. Neither of us were depressed before but I sure almost became so while reading those stupid websites! LOL we are both artists and very laid-back - doc is convinced we bury our stress in creative pursuits. Hubby is ADHD as well I'm pretty sure but was never diagnosed.

Anastasia
04-01-14, 12:13 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I'm so glad to see you back and glad you're feeling relief!! :)

I've found worthwhile and effective OTC products, finally, but you have to dig deep to find the highest quality ingredients while avoiding the distractions of the lower quality options. I had previously only focused on the price tag portion of the label.

I currently use the Solgar brand B12 nuggets, 1000 mcg. Prior to that, I had bought a pricier liquid form of the same thing from my RD, but she's now suggesting some of the same brands/products I get to her other clients to save them money.

Swanson online products is what I use. Having the help and guidance of a registered dietitian and my general practitioner in deciding which ingredients to look for and what is needed to support the other, etc. saved me, for sure. More so the RD than the GP, to be honest. It's a lot to weed through on top of everything else, but it sure rocks when it falls into line.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Yes, yes, yes! very well said. I use Swanson as well for everything but the fish-oil but their site sells Solgar as well. It does take a lot of homework to check on the quality and the best form as far as bioavailability goes. I use the same B-12 as you do. And yes, when it all comes together, it sure made a difference. Glad to hear from you too girl!

Sunrise, the only side effects I have noticed from the Deplin is a definite increase in appetite. I really need to watch this and stay on top of it. I have no room for error ;).

I think it's great your children eat fish, mine wont touch it, and I totally agree the best source is usually from diet. I have to poke a hole in the fish-oil for my daughter and add it to her drink. So far so good, but the oil does separate a little. I don't know how long before she discovers something's different, lol.

I know Deplin and it's generic come in 7.5mg's and 15. So far the only docs at this point who are very familiar with it is the psychiatrists, some use it for MTHFR and some will use it without testing just to boost an antidepressant. I hope you can find a doc who can give you some direction on how much and the best form to give the kids. I would probably use the 7.5 and you may have to open it, the same as I do with the fish-oil. Please check first.

As far as insurance not covering it, may be that will change. It's going to save them money in the long run if someone tests positive. All of the back and forth visits and hit or miss with changing meds will decrease, hopefully.

Amtram
04-01-14, 08:36 PM
If you want a better understanding of why prescription medications are effective (and expensive!) The blog "The Curious Wavefunction" at Scientific American Blogs has a four-part series explaining the biochemistry. I can't link, but the names of the articles are :
Why drugs are expensive: It’s the science, stupid.

Why drug discovery is hard – Part 2: Easter Island, Pit Vipers; Where do drugs come from?

Why drug discovery is hard – Part 3: Vacuum cleaners that make Sir James Dyson weep

Why drug discovery is hard – Part 4: Taking the fight to the “enemy”.