View Full Version : hello anxiety..nice to see you again.

slammer21
03-30-14, 12:09 AM
Anxiety for me takes many forms. Social anxiety, anxiety involving day to day tasks, and anxiety about things that haven't even occured yet. (Future anxiety) i guess its all falls simply under the same category.

When it comes to social anxiety for me, i have issues being around crowds of people and being able to have a sense of being comfortable. Often i fidget with something while talking or cant look people directly in the eye for a few seconds while talking to them. (Unless its someone i am comfortable with, such as my family).

Everyday i tend to have anxiety about things i need to get done for the day. I always pile everything on top of everything and i cant sit down and relax until everything is done. Im trying this new thing where i just do one thing at a time and whatever else i dont finish i put off until the next day. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I always always always stress about situations that havent occured yet. I find myself being very analytical, constantly analyzing everything way too much. "Making mountains out of molehills"

Anyone have any good tips for dealing with anxiety in a healthy way?

Greyhound1
03-30-14, 01:01 AM
Anxiety for me takes many forms. Social anxiety, anxiety involving day to day tasks, and anxiety about things that haven't even occured yet. (Future anxiety) i guess its all falls simply under the same category.

When it comes to social anxiety for me, i have issues being around crowds of people and being able to have a sense of being comfortable. Often i fidget with something while talking or cant look people directly in the eye for a few seconds while talking to them. (Unless its someone i am comfortable with, such as my family).

Everyday i tend to have anxiety about things i need to get done for the day. I always pile everything on top of everything and i cant sit down and relax until everything is done. Im trying this new thing where i just do one thing at a time and whatever else i dont finish i put off until the next day. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I always always always stress about situations that havent occured yet. I find myself being very analytical, constantly analyzing everything way too much. "Making mountains out of molehills"

Anyone have any good tips for dealing with anxiety in a healthy way?

The same things you mention happen to me. The only advice I have is to find a way to not listen to the negative voices stirring your anxiety. Just know that many of the voices aren't worthy of listening to.

Not listening to those nervous voices is easier said than done. You need to first recognize your negative voices. Just identifying them can help because you begin to take away their authority. The next step is to find a mental escape. Find something you can use to help shift your focus.

Some people find meditation really helps with this. I know for me fishing works the best.

Try and find something you enjoy that can shift your focus and quiet your mind when you first recognize your anxious thoughts and worries. I know it is a lot easier to do this when identified early before your anxiety gets out of control.

inbetweenshades
04-22-14, 11:45 AM
I would add that you should investigate what triggers your anxiety, and if you can avoid it completely, do. If not, then maybe try to find a way to lessen it.

As an example, I know that if I go to a place with a lot of people when I have something I need to do, (such a grocery shopping,) I will end up having a panic attack. Something to do with the noise, or the slow moving people and small spaces and carts, the lines.. I'm not sure. Anyway. I have found two ways to avoid the panic.
One- Take an anti-anxiety pill about a half an hour before I go or
Two- Wait until around three a.m., when there's almost no one else there.

I also have a habit of stressing out about things ahead of time. I'm really trying to work on that. I'm sure it's a messed up thought process, but I am nowhere near mastering that. So for the time being, again, I am mindful of what will likely set me off. Getting up early and having to be on time is a biggie for me. So, I avoid making plans before noon whenever possible, and I've set every clock in my house fast, but at slightly different times. (I close my eyes and hold the button down a few extra seconds so I don't know exactly how fast it is. LOL) That helps somewhat with being chronically late, which is a lot of what stresses me out.

And lists. I'm an avid list maker and post-it type of person. The trick there is to make sure to not just look at the list, but to check off what you accomplished. That way, even when you don't get everything done that you intended to, you still have the reward of seeing what you did do.
It also helps if you keep the lists around awhile. Over time, you can see what it is that you tend to put off the most, and then try to find a better way to deal with it. (Hire someone, trade it out with a roommate or partner for a chore that doesn't bother you so much, ect.)
And don't be too hard on yourself when you don't get everything done either.
You may realize after a while that the biggest issue isn't that you aren't doing enough, but that you are expecting too much from yourself.

But like I said before, simply knowing what sets you off will go a long way to helping you deal with it.
Just my two cents worth. Best of luck to you.
;)