View Full Version : Tics? Worse w/Adderall, but now I'm off meds. Answers?

NatyChan95
02-25-13, 12:16 PM
Hello!

So I thought I'd post here too as well, as this is something that has recently come up.

I was diagnosed with A.D.D at age 10. I was first put on Concerta, and taken off because it was not working for me. Then after 2 years on Concerta (I think) i was put on Adderall.

Please note, I am 17 1/2 years old right now, turning 18 in July.

I have been on Adderall for almost 6 years. And it's help me improve some in school work and concentration. I had some side effects, such as dizzyness the first time I took it (after, I adjusted fairly quickly). But now I've noticed that when I'm on the medication, I tend to notice my leg going up and down rapidly as if I had to go to the restroom or i am hyper. Which is rare because my parents don't let me consume alot of caffeine or sugar in my diet. I also noticed constant neck switching (like I had to stretch it to the right side) very often, but it isn't very noticable. This isn't too big of a concern with me, but I'm worried the Adderall (with continued on/off use pattern) will cause tics, or even worse, Tourette's. And Tourette's is something I really would not like to havee Tourette's.

Thanks,
Nate

NatyChan95
03-29-14, 11:21 PM
Hi all.

I'm back, and I wanted to update you guys.

So, I've been off Adderall for a while, and I noticed it helped quite a bit, but recently I've noticed I'm back on doing the neck movement. I feel like my neck hurts so much that I NEED to stretch it. And that sometimes made my neck feel worse. Like, right now at this moment I'm fighting stretching it.

I've also noticed I do this thing with my back, I find myself twisting my body and stretching my back/torso by turning to the side as if I'm stretching. I usually do it when I feel the need, and sometimes when I'm nervous and/or embarrassed but I'm constantly doing it now along with the neck movement.

As well as bending my fingers/curling them inwards to my palms, and the leg movement (not as much as when I was on Adderall).

Can this be a sign? I don't even know. But I'm seeking answers. My friend last year noticed the neck movement. Other people have seen me stretch constantly, but haven't said a word.

I just want answers. Please.

namazu
03-30-14, 12:46 AM
Hi, and welcome back.

(First, a quick note to say I moved your posts to their own thread, since the thread where you first posted them was kind of old, and I thought you might get better responses if your question had its own thread.)

What you describe does sound a lot like tics. If you only have movements you do, but you don't have any vocal tics, then technically it wouldn't be diagnosed as Tourette's. It could be called a "chronic motor tic disorder". Really, it doesn't matter so much what you call it. Remember that there are many happy, well-adjusted, successful people with tic disorders, including Tourette's, and that it's different for everyone.

It's common for people with tic disorders (or family histories of tic disorders) to get tics as kids or in their teens. For some people, stimulants do make them worse, though it can be hard to tell sometimes because tics naturally wax and wane with time on their own. In some cases, stimulants do trigger tics in people without a history of them, but those tend to go away when the medication is stopped. If you don't have a family history of tic disorders or OCD, then it may be difficult to find solid answers to your questions about where this came from.

Regardless of the label or the cause... If the movements, stretching, etc. are bothering you, causing you muscle pain from the repetitiveness/over-stretching, or becoming a social liability, you might benefit from some therapy.

There is a kind of therapy called "habit reversal training" (HRT) that is often used for tics or other repetitive behaviors. Basically, it involves learning what situations tend to promote tics, what it feels like right before you do one of these stretches or twists or movements, and then coming up with "competing" movements you can do until the urge passes -- things that will be less noticeable or less painful or less annoying to you.

There are also some non-stimulant medications that can help with both ADHD and tic-like symptoms at the same time (guanfacine and clonidine), though they don't work for everyone.

Are you seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist to treat your ADHD, or do you have access to one? Meanwhile, you can learn a lot about tic disorders / Tourette's, including stories from other teenagers and young adults dealing with it, and helpful tips, from the Tourette's Syndrome Association (look them up online -- they have good online resources as well as local chapters in MD).

NatyChan95
03-30-14, 12:50 PM
Hi, and welcome back.

(First, a quick note to say I moved your posts to their own thread, since the thread where you first posted them was kind of old, and I thought you might get better responses if your question had its own thread.)

What you describe does sound a lot like tics. If you only have movements you do, but you don't have any vocal tics, then technically it wouldn't be diagnosed as Tourette's. It could be called a "chronic motor tic disorder". Really, it doesn't matter so much what you call it. Remember that there are many happy, well-adjusted, successful people with tic disorders, including Tourette's, and that it's different for everyone.

It's common for people with tic disorders (or family histories of tic disorders) to get tics as kids or in their teens. For some people, stimulants do make them worse, though it can be hard to tell sometimes because tics naturally wax and wane with time on their own. In some cases, stimulants do trigger tics in people without a history of them, but those tend to go away when the medication is stopped. If you don't have a family history of tic disorders or OCD, then it may be difficult to find solid answers to your questions about where this came from.

Regardless of the label or the cause... If the movements, stretching, etc. are bothering you, causing you muscle pain from the repetitiveness/over-stretching, or becoming a social liability, you might benefit from some therapy.

There is a kind of therapy called "habit reversal training" (HRT) that is often used for tics or other repetitive behaviors. Basically, it involves learning what situations tend to promote tics, what it feels like right before you do one of these stretches or twists or movements, and then coming up with "competing" movements you can do until the urge passes -- things that will be less noticeable or less painful or less annoying to you.

There are also some non-stimulant medications that can help with both ADHD and tic-like symptoms at the same time (guanfacine and clonidine), though they don't work for everyone.

Are you seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist to treat your ADHD, or do you have access to one? Meanwhile, you can learn a lot about tic disorders / Tourette's, including stories from other teenagers and young adults dealing with it, and helpful tips, from the Tourette's Syndrome Association (look them up online -- they have good online resources as well as local chapters in MD).

Hello! Thank you soooo much for the reply! I'm so happy!

Unfortunately, right now, I have yet to call a doctor for medication for my ADD and other medical issues. I do have a therapist I see every week (?) and we talk about almost everything, so I guess I can call her my psychiatrist? Haha!

I removed myself from Adderall because it was screwing sooo much with my body (the "tics" and the constant mood issues). I didn't really think about going back on meds, but I realize it's to help me. So maybe I can benefit to some non-stimulant medication like you mentioned.

Trust me, I've been reading NON-STOP about Tourette's and it's links to other disorders. I really wanted to find out what I was going through.

Lastly, I've noticed something that seems to be a really bad habit of mine. (I'm praying it's not some type of coprilalia.)

I have this really stupid little habit of saying extra curse words when I curse. For example:

I would say: "God D**nit!" and then suddenly follow up with: F**k! Son of a f*****ng wh*re!"
Or: "Sh*t!" and the follow up: "F**k me in the a**hole!"
or "Son of a B*tch!" and then "SH*T!"

The same in Spanish sometimes.

It's just impulse.

I can control it by not cursing at all (like when I'm around certain adults like a teacher or my family) and when I do curse at home it's very quietly so I won't get in trouble.

I started cursing (not like that) when I was about 14 (?) and I have the mouth of a sailor, but that's kind of excessive, don't ya think?

Any advice?

NatyChan95
03-30-14, 02:53 PM
Also I'd like to add that I think I might have slight OCD because EVERY TIME my mom comes into my room to clear my room, she drops everything to the floor and at that moment I know where everything (well, almost) is and I sleep with stuff on my bed, and I just get really anxious and whiny and just- ugh, it bothers the **** out of me.

Or when I cosplay or make something it HAS to be perfect. If it isn't, I go to fix it or if something's not a certain way (like if I find something somewhere else where it isn't supposed to be, I fix it.).

Same goes for food. It HAS to be perfect. It can't be burnt or off colour or missing an ingredient unless I REALLY can't go out to buy the needed ingredient.

I don't think anyone in my family suffers from OCD or anything like that. It doesn't interfere with my life, but it's something I just wanted to mention. ^^;

sarahsweets
03-31-14, 05:01 AM
My son used to have a few tics when he was on stimulants and the doctor prescribed clonidine which really helped solve the problem.

NatyChan95
03-31-14, 07:26 AM
I was planning on taking a non-stimulant for my ADD anyway, since it had a negative effect with my mood. Hopefully it helps.

I also seem to have yet another tic, possibly from reading the list of tics on here. It's the throat clearing. I do it because I can feel something in my throat that bothers me, even when I can breathe fine. I guess I just picked up on it. Is that even possible? It's really odd.

Also I seem to realize when I curse, I do it louder. I didn't really think about it till now. Maybe that's something.

USMCcop
03-31-14, 04:41 PM
Are the tics voluntary or involuntary? I had tics in my teens (untreated ADHD) from stress and nerves. They were voluntary tho, like a habit. I overcame them with self discipline as I felt I looked stupid. I now take adderall, which has a calming effect. If I understood my current doctor, he said I could have been prescribed clonindine, as Sarah said, but indicated the med would have been for involuntary tics.

If your "tics" are voluntary and a habit, maybe your issue is anxiety. Talk to a professional.

NatyChan95
03-31-14, 05:23 PM
The cursing I can control, but sometimes I let the curses come, and usually they're louder than when I talk.

As for my neck, the neck movement I exhibit is involuntary, I do it for no reason at all. My neck hurts though right before I do it/when I need to do it, and when I do it, I feel better. Left-right, left-right. So there's that.

Body twisting is also something I just do. I twist once to the left, once to the right, then again, until the left-right movement is done twice. Just like my neck. And after that sometimes I stretch upwards. But not usually.

I am FINALLY seeing a doctor Friday at 9am! I will let you guys know how it goes, as I will be discussing this and new medication for my ADD.

Nat

NatyChan95
04-04-14, 11:36 AM
Hello!

So we talked and he asked me about my symptoms, and I finally got a diagnosis! I seem to be suffering from anxiety (which I'm not suprised) and OCD tendencies (according to him, evening out, which, again, with the anxiety, I'm not surprised.

And then we talked about my head movements. And the cursing. He told me that the head movement isn't a tic, but it's an OCD thing. I told him I can control it sometimes but if I don't do it, I get really uncomfortable. So there's that. Then we talked about the cursing. And he told me it's Coprolalia.

That's just great.:rolleyes:

I'm really glad I finally have a diagnosis. But I'm really upset that I have coprolalia. I was praying that I didn't have it, but I do.

We also discussed the matters of my ADD. I guess I don't have it. But I do have symptoms? I dunno how to explain it.

Anyway, he's putting me on Zoloft for my anxiety to see if my attention and other issues resolve, and if they don't, then he will be putting me on a ADD med. But for now, it's Zoloft.

Also, no throat clearing tic. :) So that's good.

Stevuke79
04-04-14, 12:15 PM
These things do get better both with age and experience. My tics, tourettes, and OCD flared up when I started stimulants (age 30). I know what you mean (or I think I know) when you say it's impulse but you sort of can control it. Anyway, it's usually worse at your age and my doc once said that at my age (35 this month) it peaks a little again... and then gets much less severe as you get older. (This last bit I only heard him say it once, .. and I didn't research it or follow up.. so I may be speaking from my mouth or some other place.)

Anyway! My point is, you're probably in the worst of it now, which is a very good thing. Best of luck!

NatyChan95
04-04-14, 04:07 PM
I'm glad cuz I always thought "It can't be ADD."

I dunno if this matters, but I have always been great musically (I have a great voice, and I've always been good musically as well (I play piano (a little) I play ukulele, and I used to play violin.) And I have always had a knack for drawing.

I dunno

NatyChan95
04-07-14, 02:05 PM
So I think echolalia could also be in the picture? I tend to repeat things ALOT.

For example: "You mad, *click of tongue* Or nah?"