View Full Version : Which sleep med?

DmxDex
03-31-14, 07:24 AM
So in the past ive tried remeron, trazadone, pregabalin it worked but i hear it numbs dexedrines effects. And zopiclone. Zopiclone works but everyone says i will end up addicted. Need sleep aid that isnt going to do that

Mcgregger44
03-31-14, 11:59 AM
I used to take melatonin (10 mgs) and it worked like a charm. It's a natural chemical in your brain that develops late in the day to signal your body that it is time to go to sleep. You build up a resistance to it but it definitely worked. There are other options such as Tylenol P.M. but I don't know how safe that is to take on a daily basis. As a disclaimer, don't take anything without the proper research, drug combinations, and/or consulting a proper physician.

sarahsweets
04-01-14, 05:02 AM
I have a rigid nazi like sleep schedule that took me a year to develop. That said, I have an emergency supply of the sleep med SONATA. Its a short acting (2 hour or so half life) medication that can treat people who have a hard time falling asleep and also treat people that frequently wake up during the night. WHen I have had to take it during the night or before bed I have never experienced any next day drowsiness. I have used sonata for 4 years with no problems. It is in the same class as ambien or lunesta. Of course addiction can be an issue- with any med. You can abuse the hell out of anything if you try hard enough. Dont let your fear of addiction get in the way of you receiving treatment from sleep problems. The other thing you need to do is practice good sleep hygiene.

treed85
04-08-14, 07:11 PM
I have a rigid nazi like sleep schedule that took me a year to develop. That said, I have an emergency supply of the sleep med SONATA. Its a short acting (2 hour or so half life) medication that can treat people who have a hard time falling asleep and also treat people that frequently wake up during the night. WHen I have had to take it during the night or before bed I have never experienced any next day drowsiness. I have used sonata for 4 years with no problems. It is in the same class as ambien or lunesta. Of course addiction can be an issue- with any med. You can abuse the hell out of anything if you try hard enough. Dont let your fear of addiction get in the way of you receiving treatment from sleep problems. The other thing you need to do is practice good sleep hygiene.

Absolutely well said! I have sleep issues as well, and I take 10mg Zolpidem each night, (generic for Ambien) and it works awesome. Been on it about a year now with no issues.

@ DmxDex - Though keep in mind tolerance will build up quickly with these type of drugs, also known as Z drugs. You could also look into Restoril (Temazepam). It's a Benzo so it works slightly different in the brain. But the sedative effects will be similar.

Laserbeak
04-09-14, 10:11 AM
Temazepam is best for me, but that is a CIV drug and you need a prescription. I would avoid Ambien, it has bad side effects like doing stuff, such as cooking or even driving while asleep with no memory of it. Lunesta I don't know much about, but I think it may have the same problems as Ambien.

JR1973
05-09-14, 03:56 PM
This article may help. Very interesting material. Explains why taking more of certain types of medication can actually wake you up (Benedryl is an example).

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/01/treating_insomnia_with_less.html

Jenn1202
06-13-14, 03:03 AM
I usually take Melatonin 3mg. The problem is that it usually stops working within a week or two and then I need to take a break for a couple of days. I also take Benadryl 12mg (half a 25 mg pill) sometimes.