View Full Version : Could it be an ADD?

Timon44
03-31-14, 02:18 PM
Hi, as I said in my introduction English isn't my native language so I hope I won't make too many mistakes and express myself well enough for you to understand :)

I'm basically here in order to try to understand if my boyfriend could have an ADD.

He is a 28yo man, he has a job, interested in cars, races, and sports in general. He does A LOT of sport.
When we just met, during a pretty random conversation, he mentioned the fact he was "hyperactive" as a kid. He said he couldnt have much sugars cos it made him that way and that he started doing a huge amount of sports since that age.
He still avoids to eat too much sugars, but when he told me about it backthen he said it's probably the fear of feeling hyperactive like when he was a kid.

Now that he's grown, he still does a lot of sport as I said: he has quite a physical job where he needs to lift weights and so on, but he trains everyday anyway (cycling, football, gym, depending on how much time he has).

We are in a long distance relationship, so it's difficult for me to notice everyday actions, but when we are together he can't stop moving for a second. If he really has to sit down and not move (at a restaurant for example), he'll start playing with forks and things like that for example.

As regards the rest, he is extremely laid back. And when I say extremely laid back, I mean EXTREMELY. He tends to postpone things, forgets to do something he told me he was gonna do (silly things anyway). I notice he kinda gets "lost" in priorities: for example, he'll put his trainings before anything else, even if he has to do something important.

I don't know if it can be linked to ADD (in the case he has it of course), but he also isn't jealous at all, he seems to be really sure of himself, or maybe just too laidback to "focus" on something like that.

That's just what came to my mind so far. I tried to read a bit on the net but it's all new to me so I'm still pretty confused.
If he does have ADD I'd like to do my best to help him, or at least not taking things as a lack of interest or things like that.

Thanks a lot in advance!

sarahsweets
04-01-14, 04:57 AM
Hyperactivity is just one of the many symptoms of adhd. From what you describe, he doesnt seem to have many symptoms. Adhd must have been present in childhood and impair your life significantly in 2 or more areas in order for it to be adhd. Also, if you had adhd as a child then you will still have it as an adult.

Timon44
04-01-14, 04:03 PM
Thank you Sarah for the reply :)

First of all, I don't know if he was diagnosed with it as a kid. From the way he put it when we talked about it years ago, it seemed so, but honestly I didn't have a clue about what it was so I didn't give it much importance and I didn't ask him anything else about it. It's just now that a friend of mine told me about it that it that convo came back to my mind :)

What are the most common symptoms for AD(H)D?
Sorry if it's a bit of a silly question maybe, but all I read about is in English (not my native language) so it's not super easy for me to focus things right sometimes.