View Full Version : ADHD Neurofeedback Therapy?

Stevuke79
03-31-14, 05:23 PM
I have a friend who is starting on ADHD neurofeedback therapy. Ayone know anything about it?

Dizfriz
03-31-14, 06:31 PM
I have a friend who is starting on ADHD neurofeedback therapy. Ayone know anything about it?
There has been a *huge* amount of discussion on this. You might put neurofeedback into the search engine and be prepared to read.

My view is that it has some real promise but not enough evidence to justify it as a validated treatment intervention. One of the primary problems is that while it helps a number of people there area many it doesn't.

Since it usually costs a lot of money, I usually advise that if you can easily afford it why not, it might help. If you can't then caution might be advised.

Dizfriz

Stevuke79
03-31-14, 06:48 PM
I tried to search for it, and all that came up was discussion of price. I'll try again and see if somehow I didn't look well enough. Thanks!

daveddd
03-31-14, 06:51 PM
do you know the specifics

i know a bit about neurofeedback for emotion identification and regulation

Stevuke79
03-31-14, 06:51 PM
Nope. Nada!

Dizfriz
03-31-14, 06:59 PM
I tried to search for it, and all that came up was discussion of price. I'll try again and see if somehow I didn't look well enough. Thanks!
I did a search on the term neurofeedback in the forum search engine and got over 300 threads and about 500 posts using the term.

Might be worth going back. I participated in a number and many were focused on effectiveness. As usual in a forum format the noise to signal ration is rather high but there was a good bit of very good back and forth discussion involved

Dizfriz

Unmanagable
03-31-14, 07:19 PM
I've had 5 sessions of what I mentioned in the below thread and have been very pleased with the results. This is a bit different than the typical neurofeedback I had read and heard about prior to this. From what I understand, the typical NF program tries to program your brain for specific outcomes, where as this NeurOptimal program rides the frequencies of your brain and helps guide, if that makes sense.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158421

I'm impressed with it 100%. But, I suck at putting things into words, so my explanation of it may not provide much clarity, but I'll try.

The benefits from it have just sort of happened vs. me trying to force stuff to happen. I find myself recognizing, after the fact, that some of my typical, most exhaustive patterns of behavior have improved without me making specific efforts or actions to do.

For example: I'm less snappy, less anxious, and more laid back in scenarios that used to immediately trip my trigger and invoke an emotional reaction vs. a meaningful response. Some of these things were starting to improve gradually and sporadically with my other treatments, but there were so many blocks that I felt I couldn't move out of my way. I can get deeper into my silent meditative state now and visions I normally see during certain meditations are much more vivid.

If I hadn't been offered the amazing opportunity to try it at no cost, then reduced cost, I wouldn't have pursued it, for financial reasons. I say go for it if it's within your realm of possibilities. The 5 sessions I've done of this have been spread out over 2.5 months, thus far.

Hope this is helpful.

BellaVita
03-31-14, 07:51 PM
I had it done for 4 years.

Honestly, it didn't help that much. While I was actively going, it may have helped in a few minor ways. In my opinion, it wasn't worth the cost.

And now, I've forgotten everything.

Stevuke79
03-31-14, 08:09 PM
Lol, Bella. Interesting. Whatever, we'll see. This friend doesn't deal well with any medications so hopefully it will help.

Stevuke79
03-31-14, 08:10 PM
Unmanageable, thanks. That's an interesting perspective.

BellaVita
03-31-14, 08:12 PM
Lol, Bella. Interesting. Whatever, we'll see. This friend doesn't deal well with any medications so hopefully it will help.

Oh that sucks. I hope it does help!!!

Unmanagable
03-31-14, 08:15 PM
I also remember something about NF treatments involving some type of "homework" they could also work on independently to try to continue to train the brain, but the neuroptimal doesn't deal with all of that.

thomasl
04-05-14, 09:43 PM
My Aunt does Neurofeedback Pennsylvania and she swears by it's effectiveness. ADHD really is quite a complex illness that I feel like I will never be done learning more about ti and finding people who respond to various treatments.