View Full Version : Kindergarten & ADHD

Traci1979
04-01-14, 08:11 AM
I'm struggling and I don't know what to do! Everyone has an opinion and I listen! If you let him get pulled out, it will give him those very important building blocks for the future Or Why would they pull him out? Why not try first? Maybe with a little support in the classroom he'll be fine.

I have a Masters in Special ed & Early childhood. I can find research on both sides and I'm so confused & scared

do I hire an advocate that really has the same background as me ? I sit here and think... Think...

Stevuke79
04-01-14, 09:02 AM
My daughter in kindergarten has learning disabilities; I have had learning disabilities all my life and as a kid was in and out of special ed. Mainstream him,.. put him in special ed,.. it wont make much difference and no matter what he will be who he will be. Here is what will actually be important:

Read to him every day. Play with him every day. Talk to him every day. Engage him and teach him to think. Set up play dates; his friends will teach him tons. My daughter struggles with addition but when we're negotiating how many dolls she may take to bed and how many must be put away.. she's an arithmetical savant! I'm not worried. Those are the ways that a parent really takes responsibility for a child's education.

I don't mean to undervalue formal education, .. but I have zero doubt that my daughter learns far more about how to read during her bedtime story than she does at school. And she goes to a great school.. but I'm her dad, and it's a book she likes.. when you're 5 or 6 years old you learn everything you need just by playing.

zette93
04-01-14, 09:08 AM
How much pull-out are they considering? A few hours a week or entirely into a special day class? Other kids get pulled out for speech and OT, so a few hours with the resource teacher would give him some individualized help without incurring a social stigma (especially in kindergarten). He is unlikely to get academic help from an aide, unless they have special training (in our district they don't). If the resource teacher could come push-in to the classroom that would be ideal, but otherwise he's unlikely to actually get "a little extra help" within his own classroom.

Are the problems primarily academic, behavioral, or both?

If it's a special day class, you need to spend time observing the class and going through the planned curriculum to make sure it will meet his needs. When my son's school tried to push us into placing him in an SDC due to his behavioral issues (which were causing academic issues), I discovered they planned to teach him with a reading program intended for kids with severe intellectual disability (ie only learning 150 words for the entire year rather than the rules of phonics.) Make a point of observing the program before making a decision.

addthree
04-01-14, 11:21 AM
Steve is right.

Traci1979
04-01-14, 12:07 PM
Thanks stevuke79. For the great advice

Currently my son is not a behaviorally problem, he simply struggles to focus In the classroom.. And some impulse control problems...His teacher says academically he is ok, I did ask her about holding him back
Since he's a summer birthday maybe an extra year to mature. She said she couldn't because academically he's fine

Stevuke79
04-01-14, 02:37 PM
Interesting, he sounds a little more like my daughter now.

Before I didn't realize that you were the one who suggested holding him back. It seems like his inability to focus isn't affecting him at all. As long as he's getting the basics I wouldn't worry about it.

addthree
04-01-14, 04:11 PM
If every parent was like Steve the world would be a great place.

Stevuke79
04-01-14, 04:13 PM
Awww.. you're awesome... I'm seriously moved. Actually, if you knew me, I screw up the parenting thing plenty.. you're awesome!!

willow129
04-18-14, 09:27 PM
Steve...I LOVE IT. Oh please oh please will you come talk to the parents at my school!!!

Stevuke79
04-18-14, 09:52 PM
You're awesome willow.. I try :) and I really value your opinion because from your posts I see you have an amazing perspective on this stuff.

Daydreamin22
04-18-14, 10:33 PM
Go to positivepsychology.org. I was a teacher's aide. They can definitely make accommodations. Connect from a position of your child's strengths. There's a groundbreaking new book called "The Outliers" and it talks about gifts and strengths... The field of psychology is headed that way and the lead experts are at the positive psychology site.

Be aware that if the child's teacher is coming from a place of love that's awesome... You can work with her. Definitely be involved and informed/educated. Don't go to additive magazine, and check the authors credentials. There's tons of Ivy League blog psychologytoday. Only to be sure you're not getting wrong info. There's bad mental health advice out there. Way bad advice.

Back to teacher, not likely at all but from my rare experience, she may be a bully teacher who wants to single someone out (unlikely). But the woman I worked w did. She got the mom to think he was very troubled. She was his problem. She targeted him. I loved standing up for him. Anyway... Kindergarten is a very important year. I'd get good sources and read up on the problem. :) the sources above are best places to start, I'd say! :) come back for support.

Daydreamin22
04-20-14, 03:28 PM
Oops! I meant psychologytoday.com. There are many great researchers with top notch credentials. Just make sure you only read once you've checked the author out. It's kind of like nyt? Wealth of knowledge, but quantity over quality, there are tens of thousands of mental health professionals but it's awesome bc a majority of authors are with high credentials. There's an article, Measuring Normal in an Abnormal Environment I recommend. Your child has a gift and you have more than enough resources out there to help develop him! The thing that makes us happiest in life is to be vulnerable and loving/lived in relationships. It's all ab the connections. There are many books on bullies you can dl a free reader like ikindle and dl free ebooks.. Millions. :):) keep on coming back bc this place is invaluable for personal experience. People post just ab any and everything.

sarahsweets
04-21-14, 05:48 AM
IMO kindergarten is for the basics but most importantly socializing with peers, learning to get along with people and follow simple multistep directions. My son was pulled out a for a few hours in pre-k and K and he is awesome now.